Panic Station» Forums » Rules

Subject: Situations in need of ruling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Hive is the last card of the explore deck and can't be placed anywhere.
On our first play-through we could not place the hive (it was the last card of the deck). All available connections on the station were in horizontal alignment (on the long sides of the cards) while the hive only has a vertical doorway. We decided to allow a horizontal connection and rotated the card. What would be the official solution?

2. No searchable room on first turn.
What happens if the first too exploration cards don't have a room-symbol on them? This would result in the first player not being able to put down a searchable room, move there and search on his first turn with a limit of 4 AP.

3. Sniper Rifle physics
Can the sniper rifle shoot around corners or does the 2 room distance only work in straight lines?

4. Scope combined with Sniper Rifle
Does the scope increase the range of the sniper rifle by one? The RAW would indicate not, but i am not sure if the card was designed with a sniper rifle in mind. Does it have any effect on the sniper rifle or is it just for the normal gun and the heavy rifle?

5. Don't throw the grenade!
Does a grenade have to be thrown into an adjacent room or is it possible to throw (or rather drop) it in the same room the 'thrower' is in?

Also: Can i throw a grenade into a room and count this as the choice to 'attack' instead of 'trade' if i enter that room afterwards and would be forced to trade with a player in that room.
Should the grenade be able to get dropped into the action taker's room, would that count as the choice to attack someone instead of the forced trade?

6. Team search with Night Goggles
Can a Night Goggles card be played by the active player to perform a team search without spawning a parasite, or does it only work with solo searches? Can one of the not active players who would be part of the team search play Night Goggles upon the announcement of a team search by the active player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ghaash wrote:
1. Hive is the last card of the explore deck and can't be placed anywhere.
On our first play-through we could not place the hive (it was the last card of the deck). All available connections on the station were in horizontal alignment (on the long sides of the cards) while the hive only has a vertical doorway. We decided to allow a horizontal connection and rotated the card. What would be the official solution?

2. No searchable room on first turn.
What happens if the first too exploration cards don't have a room-symbol on them? This would result in the first player not being able to put down a searchable room, move there and search on his first turn with a limit of 4 AP.

3. Sniper Rifle physics
Can the sniper rifle shoot around corners or does the 2 room distance only work in straight lines?

4. Scope combined with Sniper Rifle
Does the scope increase the range of the sniper rifle by one? The RAW would indicate not, but i am not sure if the card was designed with a sniper rifle in mind. Does it have any effect on the sniper rifle or is it just for the normal gun and the heavy rifle?

5. Don't throw the grenade!
Does a grenade have to be thrown into an adjacent room or is it possible to throw (or rather drop) it in the same room the 'thrower' is in?

Also: Can i throw a grenade into a room and count this as the choice to 'attack' instead of 'trade' if i enter that room afterwards and would be forced to trade with a player in that room.
Should the grenade be able to get dropped into the action taker's room, would that count as the choice to attack someone instead of the forced trade?

Can a Night Goggles card be played by the active player to perform a team search without spawning a parasite, or does it only work with solo searches? Can one of the not active players who would be part of the team search play Night Goggles upon the announcement of a team search by the active player?

Ok Felix, here we go

1) In all honesty, of all the playtests and session I did this never happened. Are you sure all the rest of the rooms were correctly placed.
the only time this happened was because there was a doorway in another section not properly aligned.
So, I am really not sure if this is at all possible, since I have never heared of any session with the same result.
In any case it is perfectly logical to place is the way that it fits, since it doesn't affect other placement anymore bing the last room placed.

2) This however I know is impossible.
Are you aware the 2-part rooms can be searched in using either of the two spaces? This will be more clearly mentioned in the revised rules.
I am aware that this is often misplayed.

3) Attacks in this case should be performed in straight directions.

4) No, the scope only modifies the handgun and heavy gun.
The maximum range of a weapon in the game is two rooms.

5/6) The greneade may only be thrown into an adjacent room.
And yes, it counts as a way to block a forced trade in the targetted room when entered in that turn. Interesting question I must say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blome
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Special Agent Simon - Essen 2015
mb
ausloosd wrote:
4) No, the scope only modifies the handgun and heavy gun.
The maximum range of a weapon in the game is two rooms.

With a scope and a key card you can shoot into adjacent rooms that are otherwise locked. But what about using the sniper rifle, assuming there is a security door between the 2 rooms I can shoot through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blome
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Special Agent Simon - Essen 2015
mb
ausloosd wrote:
Are you aware the 2-part rooms can be searched in using either of the two spaces? This will be more clearly mentioned in the revised rules.

Since there are at least 2 rooms without any symbol, it can happen.
I don't find anything in the rules that mentions this specialty of a 2-part room search. The only thing mentioned is that you need another AP to enter the second half, so it implies there are considered as two different rooms. Hope, this one will become clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BenOni wrote:
ausloosd wrote:

Since there are at least 2 rooms without any symbol, it can happen.
I don't find anything in the rules that mentions this specialty of a 2-part room search. The only thing mentioned is that you need another AP to enter the second half, so it implies there are considered as two different rooms. Hope, this one will become clearer.

It is indeed not mentioned clearly in the current rules and will be better specified in the revision posted soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Bartoschek
Germany
flag msg tools
ausloosd wrote:

In my copy of the game there is the reactor room and in addition there are exactly two cards without any symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

In case you or anyone else didn't get it, I think this is what everyone is referring to:

ausloosd wrote:
contiguity wrote:

I also noticed there were two rooms which didn't have a symbol on them and didn't have a red side, just two sides which were slightly different. What are those?

2) these are non-searchable rooms.

In reference to "Grenade counts as attack", does it only protect against one forced trade or all in that room? It sounds like from http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7741969#7741969 that it would only protect the first move through that room.

Also, don't forget about the Expansion forums. There are several questions there (including the sniper rifle one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning 1:
I just tried to reproduce the event in which the last card is the hive card and it can't be placed but wasn't successful. It seems you are right, that this cannot happen. But what happened quite a lot was:

a) i couldn't place the last 2 cards if both had the layout of the hive (one entrance at a short side), because there were no vertical connections left.

b) the hive was the last card left and it could only be placed in a way that would be illegal too (blocking a doorway with one of its wall-sides)

Concerning 2:
I'm talking about this situation
AP - Action
1 - explore
2 - explore
3 - move
4 - search?!

Concerning 6:
Could you please answer this one too?
Quote:

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe none of this stuff came up during play tests...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For this rare situation, the v2.0 rules are planned to be adjusted to read that a player "must search if [mathematically] possible..."

This will cover extremely rare instances in which this might occur. However, in the example cited, the next person to enter would be able to carry out a search by exploring a new area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ghaash wrote:
Concerning 1:
I just tried to reproduce the event in which the last card is the hive card and it can't be placed but wasn't successful. It seems you are right, that this cannot happen. But what happened quite a lot was:

a) i couldn't place the last 2 cards if both had the layout of the hive (one entrance at a short side), because there were no vertical connections left.

b) the hive was the last card left and it could only be placed in a way that would be illegal too (blocking a doorway with one of its wall-sides)

Concerning 2:
I'm talking about this situation
AP - Action
1 - explore
2 - explore
3 - move
4 - search?!

Concerning 6:
Could you please answer this one too?
Quote:

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

1) In both cases the solution lies in the standard exploration rule:
When in a rare occassion the start player should be confronted with the unsearchable rooms he may at no cost put the second room at the bottom of the exploration stack (as would be the case for an unplacable situation) and take the next one, so he can perform his search that turn.

2) Again this is rather odd given the fact in all the sessions I was present and all the other sessions I have heared off (this must be well over 200 sessions) this never happened, so I can't in all honesty comment if this is at all possible. If it is, it would be a 1 in a 100 chance. I will in any case put a ruling in the revision that states in such a situation players may place the hive, even if this blocks a doorway, as long as it is possible to enter it using an open doorway.

3) The night goggles work for any type of search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.