Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I get involved in a 4-player RftG session, I always seem to draw six-cost developments for a synergistic military strategy, including Galactic Imperium, Imperium Lords, etc. This latest session was no different, and I immediately broke into the lead both with total worlds settled, and military might. With an alien production world on the side, I also had a great way to consume trade my way to a large hand size, and with several +explore powers, I could cycle through about 10 cards when I did explore +5. The 8th and 9th cards in my tableau were the Rebel Homeworld and Rebel Stronghold. Victory seemed certain--everyone else was pursuing a mining or production strategy, had significantly fewer worlds than I did, and most of the VP chips were still in the pool.

Then I made a critical mistake, choosing to place another fairly low-point value [3] Rebel production world [non-military] and pay the cost, using up all the cards in my hand. Instead of playing the very cheap military worlds in my hand on subsequent turns. Re-filling my hands with the cards I could use to finish the last two worlds in my tableau took about another 5 turns. This was plenty of time for another player following the production approach to do three killer produce/consume 2x victory points for about 7 points per consume. She won by 11 after I finally got around to placing the last new world into my hand.

I will never forget how I lost this game: I forgot the "Race" in "Race for the Galaxy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls