United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
DoggieMon wrote:
As above. Thanks in advance.

It's a placeholder like any of the other sub forums: Reviews, Sessions, etc.

You are essentially playing a play by mail game through the Play by Forum portal.

The typical approach is to find some people that want to play, and then you start a thread for it in the play by forum "sub forum" and have at it. Then other people get to watch and perhaps even make comments, if you want them to.

There are no special functions to support the game in the forum, at least as far as I know. You have to figure out how to display the information for the players and track the turns yourself.

People often use VASSAL* or some other online tool to track the game state, but everyone could also just set the game up in a spare bedroom or what have you and keep the game turns updated as they are posted in the forum.

The forum can also be used to connect with players that want to play online using some other portal.

Here's an example of a rather ambitious play by forum for Earth Reborn if you want one example of how it works.

Tim

*A tool that provides a virtual board (with all the pieces) for playing the game. It doesn't have any AI built into it, it's designed for human players. www.vassalengine.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
armor_11 wrote:
DoggieMon wrote:
As above. Thanks in advance.

It's a placeholder like any of the other sub forums: Reviews, Sessions, etc.

You are essentially playing a play by mail game through the Play by Forum portal.

The typical approach is to find some people that want to play, and then you start a thread for it in the play by forum "sub forum" and have at it. Then other people get to watch and perhaps even make comments, if you want them to.

There are no special functions to support the game in the forum, at least as far as I know. You have to figure out how to display the information for the players and track the turns yourself.

People often use VASSAL* or some other online tool to track the game state, but everyone could also just set the game up in a spare bedroom or what have you and keep the game turns updated as they are posted in the forum.

The forum can also be used to connect with players that want to play online using some other portal.

Here's an example of a rather ambitious play by forum for Earth Reborn if you want one example of how it works.

Tim

*A tool that provides a virtual board (with all the pieces) for playing the game. It doesn't have any AI built into it, it's designed for human players. www.vassalengine.org

Thank you. How could this work for STFC,as the tiles, cards, etc are random?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need an impartial moderator to handle the random/secret elements in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up for VASSAL, and I loaded the Star Trek Fleet Captains module. Can anyone tell me how to actually get a game started? I launch the module, but the game board is not loaded with locations, and nor do I have my fleet of ships. How do I get the game initiated and going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.