11 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Info about expansions. Shuffle and play? Or deck build? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi just wondering anyone of you who like this game can tell me how the reinforcement packs work.
I m quite stressed out by game balance ever since I got into war hammer invasion....
It's a really fun game but the deck building expect drives me nuts.

Was hoping summoner wars is simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simpler than you could even imagine.

When building a deck, you start with a summoner, and add in his/her 9 event cards plus 3 wall cards (so there are no choices here). Then you add in the commons that are in the summoner's starting set-up (on the reference card).

Next, you add exactly THREE champions, and you add enough more commons to have EIGHTEEN total. All champs/commons must be of the summoner's faction or mercenaries. You cannot have more than 6 mercenary cards in a deck, nor can you have more than one of a single champion or more than 10 of a single common.

The system is set up so that you can totally ignore the reinforcements and still compete no problem. Then if you just wanna throw in a mercenary champion or something, it's simple. Just switch it out with a standard champ. One of my favorite things about this game. :)

The game is completely free of both power creep and pinball-like combos, where just the right mix of characters makes your deck ultra powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmb
And to add to that, there are some great pre-built suggestions on the website here:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_downloads.html

There's a nice PDF under Deck Building Made Easy.

You can also use the Mythacle Battleplan online builder tool but I found it to be a little confusing (though I've not tried to extensively.)

http://battleplan.mythacle.com/summoner-wars/

Happy building!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be careful when you start, using too many high cost cards can make it hard to bring units out, and your opponent could have you overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's deck build and it's simple as 123

• 1 Summoner
• 3 Walls
• 9 Pre-set Events
• 3 Counts of Champions
• 18 Counts of Commons

- Obeys and includes the starting units within the 18 Commons count.
- No more than 10 copies of a specific Commons.
- Only 1 of each Champions.
- Max of 6 Mercenary.

The reinforcement in this game are only optional, there is no power creeps as each unit are carefully designed. Base deck are perfectly functional and still win games at the highest level, the reinforcement is only to tweak deck to your play-style and adds that deck building feel. However if you like this game even a tiny bit, I say get all the reinforcement there is. It only adds to the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you play this game the more you learn that the game is perfectly ballanced, Colby and his team play tested the hell of of the game, 100s of plays if not more and adjusted the power of each faction till there was ballance.

Most important things to know if you want to win are as follows (in my opinion)

1) you have a 50% chance of winning so you will loose half the time just due to luck of the draw and roll.
2) understand every event and ability of your faction and stick to that faction for a while to learn how to combine events and abilties.
3) learn everything the opponents faction can do so you can react correctly.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
1) you have a 50% chance of winning so you will loose half the time just due to luck of the draw and roll.

Now, while I agree that this game is pretty well-balanced (and I will throw out there up front that I'm biased, because I'm a member of the playtest team), I disagree with this definition of balanced. I also disagree that this is what the balanced environment in Summoner Wars inherently produces.

Summoner v. Summoner stalemates are a by-product of how people play, not how the decks are balanced. If you simply trade Commons, you'll likely end up in a "I roll, you roll" stalemate (the most often scenarios tend to involve Elien's auto-wounding powers). More careful Magic and card management--and subsequently better play--will result in games won by skill, not dice rolling.

I don't mean to jump all over you and I hope this doesn't come off that way. I'm just someone who cares very strongly about the balance of this game and, to me, a game that's described as "so balanced it basically comes down to dice rolling or card draws" isn't one that sounds particularly appealing to me. And Summoner Wars isn't, in my mind, that kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already play War Hammer: Invasion, and have the same problem as you... The game balance is very hard to make, since the starters deck are unbalanced and you need to buy more to balance and probably they will become overpowered.
Deck building games is really a problem for me... Because IMO it's like you build your deck to create a combo and then I do to beat your combo, and so on...

Summoner Wars is totally different. It's really much more simpler and balanced. And you don't have to make deck building to beat your opponent. All the base decks are very well balanced and enjoyable. I own 6 factions without any reinforcement pack and I'm really happy with the game.
My plan is to buy all the factions (without reinforcement)... And play with then a couple of hundreds of times and just then buy the reinforcement packs to make new experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Guys! Thanks for all the input! This just tells me it's totally okay to buy everything! Woooooo! Thanks a ton!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game is certianlly balanced. I have all the cards, and have played well over 100 or 200 games. The notion you will loose half to luck is ridiculous. I've been keeping track of my wins/losses since gen con. I'm at about 80% at my local store & online. While I expect this to go down as people learn the new factions and my tricks/strategy's I use, I'd say only 1 in 6 or so games is lost to luck or won by luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:

Sorry dude, but this is so untrue, it hurts...

This game once played more, it is a game about risk management, yes there is some rolling dice and it can feel luck based. However you can very much calculates those odds and plan the entire game on that.

Ultimately at the end, the skilled will win 9 out of 10 times when facing totally unskilled. One might argue that there can be bad hands and whatnot, but a skilled player can even turn those bad cases around and take a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.