United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
...not a World War II radio. You don't need to scream into it like the tin can on a string when you were a kid. The entire neighborhood is not interested in your conversation.

And, while I'm bitching: To the $h!th*@d that keeps skateboarding against traffic on Westnedge Hill (it's a busy, busy road) in front of my house. I will not be calling 911 when you get hit. My wife nearly took you out last night because you were skateboarding against traffic in the dark and you were kind enough to flip her off when she didn't hit you. I wouldn't look for her to dodge you next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...though sometimes it seems like if WW2 radios had the call quality of cell phones, we still wouldn't have any news from the front...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything you said.

....except that you know that pedestrian traffic is supposed to walk/skate against traffic, right? At least that's what they taught when I was in school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still amazed at the bad, bad cell phones and cell phone connections people pay good money for!

My dad's cell phone has a 1-2 second delay, my boss's is awful, lots of people's phones don't function the way they were meant to function.

You'd think the technology would be almost glitch-free by now!

And yes, I hate it when we are forced to hear other people's conversation out in public. I find it disrespectful.

Skateboarders? Should be outlawed..........or nuked! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

....except that you know that pedestrian traffic is supposed to walk/skate against traffic, right? At least that's what they taught when I was in school.
They're in the street. Not on the sidewalk. My wife was driving home and nearly took the fool out for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I am still amazed at the bad, bad cell phones and cell phone connections people pay good money for!

My dad's cell phone has a 1-2 second delay, my boss's is awful, lots of people's phones don't function the way they were meant to function.

I must have really good luck because I can count on one hand how many awful connections I've ever gotten on a cell phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
BoB3K wrote:

They're in the street. Not on the sidewalk. My wife was driving home and nearly took the fool out for good.

That's what I'm talking about, in the street. Peds and such are supposed to walk against traffic. I think it's so that they can see what's coming at them, and since they are in no way like a vehicle (like a bike or something), they're not really messing with traffic at all--or shouldn't be anyway.

Obviously, if there's a sidewalk, they should always be on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
BoB3K wrote:

That's what I'm talking about, in the street. Peds and such are supposed to walk against traffic. I think it's so that they can see what's coming at them, and since they are in now way like a vehicle (like a bike or something), they're not really messing with traffic at all--or shouldn't be anyway.

Obviously, if there's a sidewalk, you should always be on that.
They skate in the middle of the road because it was just paved and much smoother than the sidewalk. I have no patience left for the wheeled idiots. They rank in the same place as the crotch-rocket riders that do wheelies at red lights and rev their motors for no particular reason beyond making an ass-load of noise in residential areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
...not a World War II radio. You don't need to scream into it like the tin can on a string when you were a kid.

I am so guilty of this! I just can't get it through my head that anyone can hear what I say into what seems like a pin hole on a domino. But, I do remove myself from others' proximity before I start yelling.

I can't stand it when people sit in the middle of the waiting room chatting it up at max volume. I've tried staring at them but the attention only seems to spur them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb

Down with loud talkers.

Brian Regan has a great skit about "Me Monsters". Those people that love to loudly dominate conversations talking about themselves. He said he'd love to be one of the astronauts that landed on the moon. He'd then have the perfect trump card he could use to silence loud talkers: "I walked on the moon!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

I must have really good luck because I can count on one hand how many awful connections I've ever gotten on a cell phone.

What phone and cell phone service do you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Skateboarders? Should be outlawed..........or nuked! shake

Although the particular skateboarder in question sounds like a douchnozzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I use AT&T now, but I've used Nextel & Sprint too. Sprint kinda sucked, but otherwise I've never had too many issues. Yes I have dropped calls in huge brick buildings or tunnels, but that's to be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
The people carrying on loud cellphone conversations while they take a dump really bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
The people carrying on loud cellphone conversations while they take a dump really bother me.

Well, they probably just want to drown out any extraneous splashes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
I use AT&T now, but I've used Nextel & Sprint too. Sprint kinda sucked, but otherwise I've never had too many issues. Yes I have dropped calls in huge brick buildings or tunnels, but that's to be expected.

AT&T Wireless SUCKS!!!

Doesn't everyone know this by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tada wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

AT&T Wireless SUCKS!!!

Doesn't everyone know this by now?
Their data angers me, but I've never had an issue with call quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Allison
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Have you ever tried skate boarding on a side walk? It's usually something like this:

Im not sure the particular circumstances of your street/skaters but im sure at some point in your childhood/early teenage years you pissed off some motorist while on a skateboard/bike/roller skates/scooter/walking.

They shouldnt be put to death for being in your road. Many Drivers feel like if it's not a car it shouldn't be in the street, but most state laws allow skateboards and bicycles in the street. In some areas they are absolutely not allowed on the sidewalks!

I have had motorists honk/ yell/ flick me off/ swerve at me at me when I am riding my bicycle with the flow of traffic. I had a truck swerve at me when I was in a bike lane to fuck with me, and they lost control of their vehicle and swerved into the bike lane and onto the sidewalk. I had to bail off of my bike. I did a little more than flick them off. They could have killed me and I was in no way in the wrong.

Are the kids in the middle of the road or are they trying to stay to the side?
Was your wife distracted in anyway when she came in close contact with one of these skateboarders?
Its not surprising the kid flicked her off, it's a natural reaction when someone almost kills you. Sure the skater might have been in a low visability area with a low reaction time for drivers by going against traffic, but dont take it personally, your wife is probably one of the faceless many people who have harassed these kids from vehicles in some way for maybe no reason.

Most skateboarders prefer to go with the flow of traffic, others feel safer going against it: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9967

With cars speeding up behind you and past you very closely can be very scary, most show them less distance courtesy than they would for another vehicle because hey a human body wont do as much body damage to their car and if they do hit them they will be too dead to report the license plate..

The Skateboarders should choose carefully the places they skate seeing as they are having to contend with 4,000 pound gas powered metal machines. It is your duty as a driver to be aware of whats on the road, I assure you that if your wife hits and kills one of these kids, regardless of what side of the street the skateboarder was on, she will still be held accountable for vehicular manslaughter.

It is good that you are aware that this street is frequented by your local skateboarders so that you and your wife can be ever vigilant and perhaps monitor your speed and surroundings.

If you are going to yell anything at these kids I would reccomend "Get a helmet and some lights you loveable scamps!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BikeMutant wrote:
Have you ever tried skate boarding on a side walk? It's usually something like this:

Im not sure the particular circumstances of your street/skaters but im sure at some point in your childhood/early teenage years you pissed off some motorist while on a skateboard/bike/roller skates/scooter/walking.

They shouldnt be put to death for being in your road. Many Drivers feel like if it's not a car it shouldn't be in the street, but most state laws allow skateboards and bicycles in the street. In some areas they are absolutely not allowed on the sidewalks!

I have had motorists honk/ yell/ flick me off/ swerve at me at me when I am riding my bicycle with the flow of traffic. I had a truck swerve at me when I was in a bike lane to fuck with me, and they lost control of their vehicle and swerved into the bike lane and onto the sidewalk. I had to bail off of my bike. I did a little more than flick them off. They could have killed me and I was in no way in the wrong.

Are the kids in the middle of the road or are they trying to stay to the side?
Was your wife distracted in anyway when she came in close contact with one of these skateboarders?
Its not surprising the kid flicked her off, it's a natural reaction when someone almost kills you. Sure the skater might have been in a low visability area with a low reaction time for drivers by going against traffic, but dont take it personally, your wife is probably one of the faceless many people who have harassed these kids from vehicles in some way for maybe no reason.

Most skateboarders prefer to go with the flow of traffic, others feel safer going against it: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9967

With cars speeding up behind you and past you very closely can be very scary, most show them less distance courtesy than they would for another vehicle because hey a human body wont do as much body damage to their car and if they do hit them they will be too dead to report the license plate..

The Skateboarders should choose carefully the places they skate seeing as they are having to contend with 4,000 pound gas powered metal machines. It is your duty as a driver to be aware of whats on the road, I assure you that if your wife hits and kills one of these kids, regardless of what side of the street the skateboarder was on, she will still be held accountable for vehicular manslaughter.

It is good that you are aware that this street is frequented by your local skateboarders so that you and your wife can be ever vigilant and perhaps monitor your speed and surroundings.

If you are going to yell anything at these kids I would reccomend "Get a helmet and some lights you loveable scamps!!!"
No. I don't have an issue with skateboarders. I have an issue with these jackasses that feel it's cool to board down the middle of the road on a very busy hill in the dark with nothing to make them stand out and then get pissed when they nearly get hit. There's nothing lovable or cool about what they're doing. It's dangerous and stupid. I personally don't really care if one of these brain-damaged jackasses get smushed, but I feel awful for whatever person is driving the car that finally does it.

Don't push the blame on my wife or attempt to make me feel sorry for the poor widdle boarders in the road. She didn't harass anyone, nor was she one a phone or anything like that. She was driving home from work. They do not belong in the road and should not be surprised at all when one of the cars (that do belong on the road) nearly hit them because they're too damned stupid.

This isn't some country back road. Hundreds of cars go by every hour during peak times and it never really gets slow. It's a stupid place to skateboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Allison
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Apologies for insinuating your wife wasnt paying attention, wasn't trying to blame your wife, just feeling out the situation. I have been in a few scary skateboard or bicycle vs car scenarios in which I was definately not at fault. So I am slow to assume the non-motorist must have been in the wrong, WTF are they doing in the road AT ALL !?

They sound like young kids, I don't know a single older skateboarder who would frequently choose to go down the middle of a dark hill on a busy street. If these kids are engaging in that activity as much as you claim, one will be dead sooner than later.

They may however belong in the road, if you care to share your location I would be able to verify your state or city laws, hey you may be right! Most motorists share your sense of "streets are only for cars" when they are actually for vehicles, sidewalks are for pedestrians.

Skateboarding is inherintley lovable, cool, dangerous and stupid. Again what may appear more dangerous to you may feel safer to them. Being in the middle of the road going against traffic gives you the option as the skater to move to the left or the right to avoid cars that you can see coming.They should however make every attempt to be as visable as possible, and make better choices of which street to skateboard on alltogether.

If you really wanted to put an end to it and save the poor motorist who is unfortunate enough to have to "smush" one of these children you could alert your local policeman to the problem area. They would be more than happy to stop a skateboarder (especially if they aren't supposed to be in the streets as you claim) and educate them on the dangers of their activities. One ticket to a 5th grader should open their parents eyes up to what their kids are doing.

Calling the cops on these kids is still pretty shitty but it beats a smushing any day of the week, unlike you I am concerned for their saftey!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think about it, I never see any older skateboarders. Maybe they all get killed by cars before they turn 25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Come to think about it, I never see any older skateboarders. Maybe they all get killed by cars before they turn 25.
A valid hypothesis given what I see shooting past my front windows every day now.

Ryan: I'm not going to argue with you anymore. We can leave it at you think all skateboarders are "lovable skamps" and I think this particular bunch are idiotic, irresponsible jackasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Allison
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to note that I am 27, I have never called the cops in my life, and I love DS-13 (im aware you played a violent ramp song)

I really don't condone calling the police to solve your problems I just reccomended it to him vs the smushing alternative

"Skate-Gore" band I did vocals for in Houston. Most of the songs related to getting hurt skating, The second song is a regurgitate cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FajNLyLvPU

Fast core/PV band with the guitar player of 50/50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG8_9gi7kW8

Couldnt get the videos to embed, oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.