Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
How does the pit work? The card + marker = stupid hard to understand.

1. When the active hero places the marker and rolls... does he still fall in if the attack misses?

2. If you end your turn on that tile, do you fall in? Or, do you "attack" with the hazard? (which leads back to question #1)

3. I'm assuming since you don't explore while in the pit, you get an encounter?

4. Monsters still activate during the villian phase, but do not attack a hero in the pit because technically he is not on the board? Is that assumption correct?

That is all... I tried searching, but all I come up with are threads saying "The pit really sucks" and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely an ambiguous trap...
I recommend checking out Robert's explanation/discussion about the pit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhSXBWYbCRU

(he's made other videos about various other rules that people have been unclear about)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't feel like watching the video, I'll try to answer your questions quickly.
Keep in mind, that when you draw the Pit card, you place it next to the monster cards you control, and it activates just like they would.

1) If the Pit misses its attack against you, you don't fall in the pit. Thematically it's like your hero caught himself before falling in.

2) A player can move through or end his or her turn on that tile with no immediate effect. However, if you personally have the pit card -- then on your turn the Pit would activate during the villain phase and 'attack' any Heroes on that tile. So, if any player ends his or her turn on a tile with the Pit marker, then it would get a chance to 'attack' before that Hero's turn comes back around again.

3) Correct, you still draw an encounter card if you end your Hero Phase without exploring a new tile (even when in the Pit). As stated on the FAQ on the back of the rulebook... if the Hero is not on a tile (i.e.: in the Pit), and draws an Encounter card that refers to that Hero's tile, then that part of the Encounter card has no effect. This could result in an Encounter card that has no effect at all.

4) Yes, monsters still activate, and completely ignore you since you're stuck in the pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, I didn't get back to this until this morning... thanks for the explanation! I was playing it correctly then, wording just leaves something to be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.