Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than ask if this is a wargame and re-ignite that whole debate, what I'm interested in is who is likely to enjoy this game? I've watched the video overview and read a few posts, but I'm not able to confidently say who will enjoy this game. Is this a "wargame" from the perspective that it'll appeal mainly to grogs, or is it a co-op that is accessible to euro/AT players that happens to be in a WWII setting?

I'm inclined to think of it as the latter. But I'm considering supporting on Kickstarter, and would like to know if I have another wargame - that will only get solo play or will my pacifist, non-confrontational euro group enjoy this?

Any comments from folks who have played the trial version would be welcomed.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has 1 6 2 5 3 4 4 3 5 2 6 1 and it has theme. No real Euro-gamer will want anything to do with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris,

I know my opinion doesn't really count, but I have to tell you I am not a wargamer. I enjoy military themes, but I've never played a real, hardcore wargame. Because of its theme, DDD is more ameritrashy than euro-y, but at its core, it plays like a lot of Euro games. I demo'd a lot of DDD games when I was in France during "Le Monde du Jeu", with whole families joining the slaughter (no player there was a wargamer).

It's kinda like "Memoir 44: the dice game" (which, funny story, Days of Wonder considered publishing my game as).

But enough about me. I'll let the others say their bit (it better be positive, though, or I'll have to kick them out of my forums!).

Thanks for your interest,

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Falch
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:
Rather than ask if this is a wargame and re-ignite that whole debate, what I'm interested in is who is likely to enjoy this game? I've watched the video overview and read a few posts, but I'm not able to confidently say who will enjoy this game. Is this a "wargame" from the perspective that it'll appeal mainly to grogs, or is it a co-op that is accessible to euro/AT players that happens to be in a WWII setting?

I'm inclined to think of it as the latter. But I'm considering supporting on Kickstarter, and would like to know if I have another wargame - that will only get solo play or will my pacifist, non-confrontational euro group enjoy this?

Thanks!

You may consider this biased but I will say it anyways since this is one of the key reasons I was so interested in this game originally. I hate dice games! Dice hate me so I, in turn, reciprocate the feeling. I am not a Grog. I generally prefer Eurogames but do enjoy a good well balanced war game every once in a while (I am a gamer, after all, and appreceiate a good game regardless of genre.)

D-Day Dice if definitely a game about resource management. Yes, it is dice rolling but if the rolls are not going your way, there are enough "outs" that you can still succeed if you look ahead.

Blindly rolling dice will almost never win you the game. Planning ahead and adjusting after every dice roll, however, will.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Rik and I replying almost at the same time. Heavy-handed much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
It has 1 6 2 5 3 4 4 3 5 2 6 1 and it has theme. No real Euro-gamer will want anything to do with it!

I should've known!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caius wrote:
boisse wrote:

Thanks!

You may consider this biased but I will say it anyways since this is one of the key reasons I was so interested in this game originally. I hate dice games! Dice hate me so I, in turn, reciprocate the feeling. I am not a Grog. I generally prefer Eurogames but do enjoy a good well balanced war game every once in a while (I am a gamer, after all, and appreceiate a good game regardless of genre.)

D-Day Dice if definitely a game about resource management. Yes, it is dice rolling but if the rolls are not going your way, there are enough "outs" that you can still succeed if you look ahead.

Blindly rolling dice will almost never win you the game. Planning ahead and adjusting after every dice roll, however, will.

Hope that helps.

This confirms my suspicions (and hopes). I consider myself a "grog-lite" and all the players in my group are definitely not grogs in the least. So, I think this stands a very good chance of getting some plays in my group. Now.... off to Kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Print&Play version with non-wargamers several times and they greatly enjoyed it.
I would not recommend the game to be played with pacifists that wouldn't touch anything that has to do even remotely with war or children up to a certain age, but otherwise I think this is a perfectly suited game for eurogamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:

So, what the hell was Reiner thinking .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure the exact type of gamer i am.

But for me seems most dice games just use the hit or miss options which i hate. I like the idea of quick actions/attack, but a thoughtful strategy.

Like i played MM44 and TOI and overall i think the game was bogged down in the attacking itself, and it really didnt matter your strategy if you have luck on your side. Like putting a gunner here and there didnt form a perfect field of fire or any advantage. The opposite player can just sit there or run up and make a lucky attack and win.

And while a game like Defenders of the realm had you rolling dice. It was simple attacks, and what won you the game or most of the game was the decisions you made. You were facing 3-5 decisions at one time and only could choose 1. That was awesome. It played like a strategy game.

But i may not hate dice or random stuff. Correct me if im wrong but quarriors is full of dice which is random. But you dont get just hits and misses like in most dice games. The dice give you opportunities and you have to choose which ones to use. I dont know i never played quarriors.

So i dont mind dice or random events. But what i like is strategy and multiple options of a straight and lucky path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Power
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice mechanic in this game works more like Poker (or other card games for that matter) and Yahtzee. The dice rolls determine sort of determine your "hand", and then it's up to you to figure out the best way to implement it. At its heart, this is a resource management game and even though the main gameplay is rolling dice, this is no random dicefest. One carefully determines when to press one's luck, and what resources will be needed most for the next coming turns. There's almost no such thing as a bad roll, as long as you are flexible enough with your strategy. Sure, you can lose on the roll of the dice, but it will be more because of poor planning than bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullseye71 wrote:
The dice mechanic in this game works more like Poker (or other card games for that matter) and Yahtzee. The dice rolls determine sort of determine your "hand", and then it's up to you to figure out the best way to implement it. At its heart, this is a resource management game and even though the main gameplay is rolling dice, this is no random dicefest. One carefully determines when to press one's luck, and what resources will be needed most for the next coming turns. There's almost no such thing as a bad roll, as long as you are flexible enough with your strategy. Sure, you can lose on the roll of the dice, but it will be more because of poor planning than bad luck.

thats good to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.