Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Drew, Dutch, Ken, Derk

We had time for one last light game. I personally should have given up, as I was starting to get ‘gamed out.’ After a certain point, I just need to go do something else for a little while and clear my head. But Drew and Ken really wanted one more game. Neither Dutch nor Drew had played this lovely little card game, so we retrieved Ken’s copy. I explained the rules, and tried to explain how this game was less of a negotiation game (despite the trading aspect), and more of a hand-management game (when I mentioned the magical word ‘trading,’ Dutch’s eyes took on this eerie glow, and I wanted to clarify the main point of the game).

After some initial confusion over what a bean field really was, the game began to settle into a decent pace. Ken decided to buy a third bean field early, but ended up tearing a lot of beans out prematurely in the early part of the game. Drew and Dutch were both doing well, just bobbing along with the ebb and flow of the game. On the hand, there was me. I didn’t have real good luck with the early goings, and Ken’s indecision and third bean field made it really difficult for me to make any decent money. There were a lot of really good trades that he and I could have made, but never occurred because of one reason or another (either he’d tear up a field that I could’ve helped him with, or vice versa). But on the whole, Ken was doing better than me with his gold stack. However, I quickly became the safest person in the game to dump extra beans onto, because I was so far behind initially. And when we finally got through the deck the third time and each gold stack was counted, we had us a winner.

Drew: 24, Dutch: 18, Derk: 17, Ken: 15

Drew won quite handily, and I was very impressed with my last minute comeback (although it had nothing to do with skill on my part). I think everyone liked the game, and it will continue to hold a hallowed position in our card game repertoire. But we don’t get to play it a whole bunch because we’ve go sooooo many other good titles to play.

<em>Drew: If I had to point to a game that was nearly perfectly designed, I would point to Bohnanza. Nothing but enormous pleasure at having played it. Rating: 9 (I am tempted to give a 10, but I haven't played quite enough)</em>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.