Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Dominion... I have played Thunderstone and learned that by playing on Yucata.de. I loved I, bought it, and then bought several other DBG's (resident evil, ascension, quarriors, etc). it feels kinda odd to own and enjoy all of these and not ever play the originator.

I've come close to buying it several times, there are a few groups in the area that play it often, and there is a local tournament coming up too. What has stopped me so far is that this seems like a game that would not be fun to play as a newbie against a group that has played several dozen times at least. I've glanced at the rules but that really doesn't help. I was really looking forward to an iOS or PC version with ai so I can at least get the game basics down, but that doesn't seem to be coming an time soon.

So any thoughts on the best way to learn? Am I overestimating to difficulty of learning this against experienced players? I was able to learn Thunderstone at Yucata because it's asynchronous so I could take as much time as needed think about my moves. I see there are several places to play this online but it's all real time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die Scholle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I learned by starting a game on BrettSpielWelt without really knowing what I was doing. You have the pictures of the cards there, and you can play with just the base set. But this was just after the game came out, so maybe people there aren't so patient any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Login to http://dominion.isotropic.org/ and just give it a go. You can play with just the base set or with all the expansions. Easy to find a game, and easy to get going. You can even play a couple of solitaire games to learn the interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend learning it from some experienced players and then showing it to someone new. It is easy to learn and the non gamers I have shown it to have all loved it.

Also, I wouldn't fret if you have played thunderstone and others the dynamics will flow nicely for you.honestly it's less complicated than thunderstone in many ways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with the base set and played a heads-up (2 player) game with my wife. Once I was comfortable with the rules, I then introduced the game to my gaming crew and friends and they were hooked.

Isotropic is a fast way to get acclimated to how the game plays, but can be a MAJOR turn off for newer players as many players that play on isotropic have a base strategy in mind with a combination of cards and play very efficiently and quickly. If you can get your pals on isotropic to set up your own base set game with people you know, you will really enjoy your experience.

The first few games allow you to watch the game unfold and allow you some wiggle room in adapting new strategies to win. The more you play, however, gives you expansive knowledge of how the cards work well together and when to build economy, play actions in combination, when to lose/trash cards, and when to purchase VP.

Welcome to Dominion. It's a great game and continues to get better with its expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M07p43v5 wrote:
I started with the base set and played a heads-up (2 player) game with my wife. Once I was comfortable with the rules, I then introduced the game to my gaming crew and friends and they were hooked.

Isotropic is a fast way to get acclimated to how the game plays, but can be a MAJOR turn off for newer players as many players that play on isotropic have a base strategy in mind with a combination of cards and play very efficiently and quickly. If you can get your pals on isotropic to set up your own base set game with people you know, you will really enjoy your experience.

The first few games allow you to watch the game unfold and allow you some wiggle room in adapting new strategies to win. The more you play, however, gives you expansive knowledge of how the cards work well together and when to build economy, play actions in combination, when to lose/trash cards, and when to purchase VP.

Welcome to Dominion. It's a great game and continues to get better with its expansions.

One thing that's good about isotropic is that the level system makes it easy to find opponents who are at the same level as you (the number next to peoples' name is their level, it's generated using some quasi-Elo-ish system). Yeah, some of us are grizzled sharks with way too many games under our belt, but it shouldn't be too hard to find plenty of folks there who aren't.

I've also found that playing folks who are better/more experienced is a great way to learn, though obviously it's probably going to be a lot more fun if the gap is small. Dominion is a great, great game; hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, without a doubt, the best way is to learn Dominion as a group. Stay away from boards and strategies and just let the game evolve with the group.

The best thing about Dominion is when you experiment and it works, stumble upon something and it works, or you spit and sputter while someone at the table had a deck engine purring.

You have forever to get on the boards and look up strategies but when you are just starting out isn't the best time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Chiao
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ditto on isotropic.org - if you tell people in the main chat that you are a new user, you can sometimes find players who are willing to spend some time with you to go over the game.

I do think it's important to either go to a game store and find a live match or get a box for yourself though - designers should get paid for their great work and also you'll appreciate the more subtle strategy such as "when to cause a shuffle in your deck" by playing with actual cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official iOS version is supposedly coming out this year? Is that still true?

Isotropic is good.

Also look for the many threads on here that cover which sets to consider buying first. Though the easiest thing to do is just buy Dominion, play it for 2 to 4 months, then buy the next expansion. (buying them in order, but some may say that you could skip alchemy expansion or buy it last, I would buy it last)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.