Subject: Game piece storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Banjo McCardel
United States
Ridgefield
WA
flag msg tools
You are mighty small, little Banjo, and your flippers are tired. But one day, you will become...
badge
BANJO...KING of the Seamonkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm fairly new to the hobby...I've always had an interest in playing games, but just recently began buying them myself.

Among the first that I purchased was Puerto Rico. I opened it, punched all the cards and set up the game, and am now a little confused as to how to best put the game away.

I did the obvious first. I put the smallest pieces in the three included bags, and put that in the largest pocket in the tray: One for colonists, one for the wooden goods pieces, and one for both the money and victory points.

What I find confusing is the other five compartments...what are they intended for? Currently, I have the role cards, ships, trading house, and large violet buildings in the large center pocket, the remaining buildings in another, the island tiles in another, and the expansion in yet another, leaving one empty slot in the tray.

Because of the curvature in each of these pockets, I feel it is a bit awkward. I'm sure that there must be something obvious that I am missing, for some reason, and would appreciate any enlightenment you could provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yschiew
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is how I arranged mine

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/84843

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is stored really ridiculously. I have the small building tiles bagged separately by column (each column fits in a small zip lock bag). The gold, VP chips, plantation tiles, colonists, and barrels (each type) have separate ziploc bags. The ships, role cards, and large buildings are stored loose in the slots.

Believe it or not, I do not have assigned spots in the insert for each bag/loose tile stack. That's what keeps it from being completely anal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Or you could just throw out the plastic insert and throw the pieces in loose.

HEATHEN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da Mighty Kip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this solution might not work with Puerto Rico's box (with the trays being too small), I've started using those Plano plastic trays to store and organize the chits for most of my games.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BY57M/?ta...

Easier to fish out the pieces than with bags, and you can keep them on the side of the table to draw the pieces as needed over the course of the game.

And as I'd mentioned in my Arkham storage post, really, I am not actually that anal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
Psauberer wrote:
Mine is stored really ridiculously. I have the small building tiles bagged separately by column (each column fits in a small zip lock bag). The gold, VP chips, plantation tiles, colonists, and barrels (each type) have separate ziploc bags. The ships, role cards, and large buildings are stored loose in the slots.

Believe it or not, I do not have assigned spots in the insert for each bag/loose tile stack. That's what keeps it from being completely anal.

About your Avatar:
Celebrating today 3,000+ Hits and more than 500 Homers thumbsup thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Or you could just throw out the plastic insert and throw the pieces in loose.

HEATHEN

Not at all.

If you want your box to be crushed, leave the tray in. Store your game flat (because you have to), but then you have to 10 other games on top of it. When you slide it out, ht eedge of the box catches and rips out. A smaller game gets placed gets placed JUST above, caving in the lid.

Or take the insert out, use bags/compartmentalized boxes (or whatever works), store on its eadge on a bookcase. Everything stays in and the box doesn't get crushed in storage or extrication.

Inserts, at best, are pointless. But many of them are more trouble than they are worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
When you punch the pieces out of the cardboard sheets on a new game, DO NOT throw out the empty sheets - instead place them underneath the plastic insert. Doing this will raise the insert so that when you place the folded board on top it will be flush with the top of the box. Now your game will pack as snuggly into the box as it did from the factory, plus the lid won't cave in and your parts won't leak out of the insert pockets. (Learned this one from GeekSpeak *after* wondering why the insert didn't fit the box very well.)

More games fit on a shelf (always a good thing) when I stand them on the long edge instead of stacking them. They're easier to get and put back as well. Of course, this is easier with some boxes than others.

I still baggy the bits and place them in the insert pockets, but my games travel with me quite a bit and I don't want to loose any pieces if the lid accidentally comes off the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.