Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the Outskirts empty immediately when the limit is exceeded, or after all monsters have been placed?

For example, say that the maximum number of monsters is on the board, the Outskirts limit is 5, and there are 4 monsters in the Outskirts. A Mythos card is drawn requiring you to place 3 monsters.

Do you add 2 to Outskirts, empty it, raise the Terror level, and then place the 3rd monster sin the now-empty Outskirts?

Or do you add all 3 to the Outskirts as one action, and then empty it?

I've been playing the latter, because somehow it seems to fit the feel of the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
Do the Outskirts empty immediately when the limit is exceeded, or after all monsters have been placed?

For example, say that the maximum number of monsters is on the board, the Outskirts limit is 5, and there are 4 monsters in the Outskirts. A Mythos card is drawn requiring you to place 3 monsters.

Do you add 2 to Outskirts, empty it, raise the Terror level, and then place the 3rd monster in the now-empty Outskirts?

Yes. This is how I interpreted the rules. This way the one leftover monster would shamble into town once there is room for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Wilson, over on the FFG boards, said:

Quote:
If the outskirts limit is 4, it immediately 'pops' each time there are 4 monsters in the outskirts. So, for example, if there are 3 monsters in the outskirts and you draw 3 more monsters, you draw 1 monster for the outskirts, then return the 4 monsters there to the cup and raise the terror level by 1. You will then draw 2 more monsters, leaving the outskirts with 2 monsters there.

Nice answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Immediately upon the xth monster entering Outskirts, you raise the terror level and return them to the cup. Then you go back to what you were doing (adding more monsters).

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gael
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you guys seem to be allright on this point; good who said that never happend!!

But I'm not quite agree whith you...Here my point quote page 18 "When the number of monsters in the outskirts EXCEEDS this LIMIT, return ALL of the monsters in the outskirts..."
To me no matter how many monsters does EXCEED this LIMIT, One, two, four; it says "ALL of the monsters in the outskirts to the monster cup..."

Then the outskirts is empty and ready to go...A small breake in a world of darkness don't you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kevin Wilson, over on the FFG boards, said:

Quote:
If the outskirts limit is 4, it immediately 'pops' each time there are 4 monsters in the outskirts. So, for example, if there are 3 monsters in the outskirts and you draw 3 more monsters, you draw 1 monster for the outskirts, then return the 4 monsters there to the cup and raise the terror level by 1. You will then draw 2 more monsters, leaving the outskirts with 2 monsters there.

I think in disagreeing above, you didn't realize that the Kevin Wilson who is quoted here is the co-designer Kevin Wilson.

I think that is probably the correct answer .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fahey
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Is it possible that Kevin meant "If the outskirts limit is 3..." ?

The reason i ask is because the rules state that the outskirts only 'pop' when the outskirts limit is exceeded

"When the number of monsters in the Outskirts exceeds
this limit, return all of the monsters in the Outskirts to
the monster cup and increase the terror level by 1."

This means that (OutskirtsLimit+1) monsters are always returned to the cup.

If Kevin's ruling is as it stands then it is not a clarification but an errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess what, I read the rules and played it yet another way. Looks like I messed up, but in a different way

Basically, it's in between the two ways. I let the outskirts pile up to the limit, but I always empty the outskirts before adding if adding one more exceeded the limit.

So if the limit was 4, and there were 3 monsters in the outskirts, if I had to add 1, I'd add it and leave it at 4 monsters.

If the limit was 4, and there were 3 monsters in the outskirts, if I had to add 3, I'd add one, empty the outskirts and then add 2.

Darn tricky off by 1 errors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gael
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ryan Olson for quoting Kevin Wilson.

So what do we do now. (Even if we are free to play as we like, i'd rather play the rule as it means to be)
The rule says Limits+1 and Kevin says limit+0 in order to empty the outskirts...
We are waiting for you Kevin, thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fahey
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely in my opinion is that the example was perfect for explaining that the monsters enter the outskirts one at a time and slightly off in the numbers used. The rules seem pretty clear otherwise so that's how we'll be playing it for now. In fact we've just had our 1st success with 2 players, and when we closed the 6th gate the terror track was at 7, even playing with exceeding the outskirts limit before advancing the terror track. Works for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the same as Warren, which seems to fit both the rules and Kevin's explanation. If the limit is 4, then once it reaches 4 they stay in the Outskirts. It is only when you have to draw a monster that exceeds it, the the 4 that are there are returned to the cup and the new monster/monsters placed in the outskirts.

Also Im curious reading earlier in the thread about monsters 'ambling' into town. I thought that monsters in the outskirts stayed there until they are returned to the cup?? Is this wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fahey
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, and I suppose since we have a ruling on this then we should use it and not question it. I still maintain that if the ruling is accurate then the rules are misleading and should read something like:
"When adding the monster to the Outskirts would exceed
this limit, return all of the monsters in the Outskirts..."

rather than:
"When the number of monsters in the Outskirts exceeds
this limit, return all of the monsters in the Outskirts..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gael
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
While waiting for the kevin's FAQ about this subjecy I have find something (hope) quite helpfull and confirm what I suggest before (up).
Quote P.24 in the rule book "When the number of monsters in the ouskirst exceeds this mimit, place all of those monsters back in the cup and raise the terror lvel by one"

It seem pretty clear,
-First the outskirts is exeeded (no matter how many)
-Second ALL the monsters go back to the cup (to me, the new ones too)
-Third raise the terror by 1

Even if I like the way that first you empty the outskirts because of a new monster exceeds the limit (let's say they were 3) than place the others two in the outskirts than raise the terror by 1.

Either case is good to me but I just would like to play the way it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garl wrote:

It seem pretty clear,
-First the outskirts is exeeded (no matter how many)
-Second ALL the monsters go back to the cup (to me, the new ones too)

...except that this is directly contradicted by Kevin Wilson, one of the game's designers, in the quote made earlier.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gael
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Matthew that is fine to me, just tell me exactly how it's working and I'b your slave forever in the Arkham's world.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Kevin Wilson has posted here saying that the Outskirts "pop" when the maximum is reached. But, that makes no sense if you look at the maximum for 8 players. If you take what Kevin says and apply it, then the terrror level is raised to 10 immediatly since the Outskirts contain zero creatures and then "pops" 10 times.

I think the rules are right. When the maximum is exceeded, then raise the terror level and return the creatuers to the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But, that makes no sense if you look at the maximum for 8 players. If you take what Kevin says and apply it, then the terrror level is raised to 10 immediatly since the Outskirts contain zero creatures and then "pops" 10 times.

The terror level would not be raised to 10 immediately. The most it would raise at once in an eight player game is four.

Example:
In the Mythos phase, the Woods is drawn as the next location a gate opens. However, there is already an open gate at the Woods and that makes it a total of four open gates. Arkham is already at its limit of monsters of 11. Since you must draw a monster for each open gate, you would draw four monsters. Outskirt limit is zero, so no monster will ever appear there. Instead, raise the Terror Track by four.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

I don't believe Ken is disputing what you say. In fact, I believe he's agreeing with it. Kevin Wilson, in explaining how the Outskirts 'pops' accidently misrepresented the rules to show that it occurs when the limit is 'reached' rather than 'exceeded'. Ken was merely showing that this must be a misrepresentation by giving an example of what the former would lead to in a game with 8 players where the Outskirt limit is zero, and thus always 'reached'.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly Matthew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.