Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I am trying to find the perfect space exploration game. I would prefer to use different mechanisms...but not a card game. So, auction, worker placement, area control, battle, dice, are all mechanics that are enjoyable. I would prefer to play a game with a great rulebook (don't we all) but would like something challenging. Planet searching or exploration would be great maybe an alien or two....perhaps mining and economic theme would even be more perfect.

Games I haver researched that may seem very interesting:
Alien Frontiers (available?), Space Empires 4X (available?), High Frontier (if the rule book was better) Space Alert

Games that seem ok but somehow....well you know, I don't know
Battlestar Galactica- bluffing? hmmm
Race for the Galaxy- card game...not my favorite mechanic
Ascending Empires- no clue, have to look at the reviews

So, with all that being said, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. A Perfect Space Game.... "these are the voyages of the intrepid gamer"..... searching, searching

Also..to note: I sponsor middle school game club and would prefer to have a game that would play 2-4 or 2-6 players

thanks
bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All indications are that Eclipse is the pinnacle of sci-fi 4x board-gaming at last. [I haven't played yet to say whether these indications are confirmed personally or not, but it has one of the highest early ratings I've ever seen.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are asking for something that doesn't exist. I doubt you could get a clear consensus on what the perfect space exploration game is from this site (or any really). And even if you did, I doubt a game considered to be the best by a group of hobbyest boardgamers would be accessible to middle schoolers.

My choice would be Alien Frontiers, Race for the Galaxy or Eminent Domain as they are my favorite space games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse may very well be the best. It will be available at the end of the month.

Twilight Imperium is damn good, but you need the expansions which make it very expensive, and you also need 6-10 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dr. Face....something that doesn't exist yet....the Perfect Space game....but I'll settle for something that is very good....a very good thematic space exploration/ science fiction game..

Haven't played any space games yet but looking for one that at least allows the player to visit a planet, maybe fight an alien, mine for some stuff,

as far as the middle schoolers go...they play games like Settlers, Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Acquire, Chicago Express, Carson City, etc...

and they have been able to do very well

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel Gabe
Germany
Donauwörth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus is wonderful.
It has exploration, economics and plays from 2 to 6.
My daughters (7 and 8 yo) like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires is pretty heavy. Ascending Empires is quite fun, and would work with middle schoolers. All in all, Eminent Domain fits your bill, but for it being a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires is great with just about any group and any skill level. I've played it with people ranging in age from 10-64 and everyone has enjoyed it. It's a strategy game first and foremost with a flicking/dexterity element. Turns last no more than 10 seconds per person (once everyone understands what they can do). This ensures near constant player involvement. It's also just fun to flick discs and to have others hoot and cheer (or grimmace and groan) for particularly fantastic shots. The board does have some problems, but never enough to take away from the game. I would highly recommend this game for just about anyone. Play time is between 1-2 hours.

Eclipse is fantastic. It's a heavier game than Ascending Empires, and it supports from 2-6 players (instead of AE's 2-4). Our 4 player games have lasted between 2-3 hours. There's quite a bit going on in this game, but it all makes sense. Just about everything you could want in an epic Space Exploration game is here in some form or another. Right now if I had to name a game of the year, this is it.

Space Empires 4X is a good game. However, my experience is that it is much longer and much heavier than the previous two games. For a middle school group I would suggest you look elsewhere. There are a lot of little chits on the board at any given time, and bumping the table can ruin a game. If players are focusing on defense over attacking, this game can easily take over 4 or 5 hours.

Eminent Domain is a pretty solid card game with some Puerto Rico style role selection and following elements. Games last under an hour and it supports four. While it's a good game, I never quite get the feeling that I'm exploring space. The story that a tableau can tell at the end of a good Race for the Galaxy game is missing here. It's fun, but I don't think it's quite what you are looking for.

Space Alert is hilarious. This is one of my favorite games of all time. It's not a game to take too seriously and honestly half the fun of this one is failing in spectacular and unexpected ways. If your group hasn't played a coop game or even if they have and decided they hate them, you have to try this game at some point, there's a good chance it will change your mind. I'd suggest taking a look at this review if you're at all interested in this game:

So in summary, I'd say go for Ascending Empires, Space Alert or Eclipse. I really don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. Ascending Empires would be kind of cool, given the other games you've played since it introduces a dexterity element that's missing from the other games your group is playing. Space Alert is tons of fun and just funny. Great game to play in a group and a great way to kill an afternoon. Eclipse would be cool because anyone familiar with the games you list would feel at home with Eclipse pretty quickly. Also it's just a really really really solid and fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Sheesh.

Go for the gusto, and play a REAL Space exploration game.

Real men play either Stellar Conquest, or Galactic Outreach- the game where every hex is a 1000 lightyears, every turn a 1000 years, and you have GALACTIC WISDOM.

All other games are for weenies and wussies.

Darilian
Old Skool Forever!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the winner will be Eclipse...when I can afford it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.