Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I understand that each corner space will accommodate only a single car, but how many cars can any given straight section of road accomodate? Two side by side? As many as will physically fit in the specific space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 13 of the latest rules state that there may be as many MRCs on a space as it is sufficiently long and wide enough to support them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, thanks. Had looked through the rules twice and still not found that. See it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget when drifting you can have multiple cars side by side in a corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logicfray wrote:
Don't forget when drifting you can have multiple cars side by side in a corner.
I do not believe you are correct, Look at the examples. Please let me know if I am wrong> ART.9 Overtaking section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't have a car in the inside space of the corner AND cars on the drift spaces, but if all the cars in the corner are drifting they can be in different drift spaces of the same corner.

By "side by side" I think he means that typically you turn the cars sideways so they fit well into the space and so they look like they are drifting, with the rear end sliding out. So in that way they are "side by side" but they aren't sharing the same exact space.

Make sense?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
You can't have a car in the inside space of the corner AND cars on the drift spaces, but if all the cars in the corner are drifting they can be in different drift spaces of the same corner.

By "side by side" I think he means that typically you turn the cars sideways so they fit well into the space and so they look like they are drifting, with the rear end sliding out. So in that way they are "side by side" but they aren't sharing the same exact space.

Make sense?

Cameron
That does make sense I believe that I was wrong a out that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:

Make sense?

Cameron

Sorry if I have to dredge that up again. But you can. At least, in the German part of the rules. They say : "you can overtake in a curve if an opponent is in the shortcut, drifting, or on the ideal line."

The original french rules seem to translate to the same effect:
Dans le virage si le concurrent est dans la corde,
en dérapage ou en trajectoire tendue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
Zeede wrote:

Make sense?

Cameron

Sorry if I have to dredge that up again. But you can. At least, in the German part of the rules. They say : "you can overtake in a curve if an opponent is in the shortcut, drifting, or on the ideal line."

The original french rules seem to translate to the same effect:
Dans le virage si le concurrent est dans la corde,
en dérapage ou en trajectoire tendue

They're wrong. The current English rules have the best translation and explanation of the rules for overtaking. Let me explain what I think has happened:

The (old) original French rules said:
Quote:
Doubler un concurrent ne peut se faire que dans 4 cas :
1) En ligne droite, sauf si la case est complètement occupée.
2) Dans la corde si le concurrent est dans le virage.
3) Dans le virage si le concurrent est dans la corde.
4) Si le concurrent est sorti de la route.

It's pretty clear by 2 & 3 that if an opponent is in the corner, you can only pass by the shortcut and vice versa.

The English translation (old rules) went further by explaining that both the ideal line and skidding are considered to be in the corner:
Quote:
Overtaking an opponent can only be done in 4 situations:
1) In a straight, except if the road is blocked by the opponent’s cars.
2) Through the shortcut if the opponent is on the corner (interior trajectory or skidding).
3) Through the corner if the opponent is on the shortcut.
4) If the opponent is off the road.

I think what has happened is that JC tried to incorporate this clarification in the new rules, but ended up making it more confusing due to grammatical reasons. The new French rules say:
Quote:
Doubler un concurrent ne peut se faire que dans 4 cas :
1) En ligne droite, sauf si la case est complètement occupée.
2) Dans la corde si le concurrent est dans le virage, en trajectoire tendue ou en dérapage.
3) Dans le virage si le concurrent est dans la corde, en dérapage ou en trajectoire tendue.
4) Si le concurrent est sorti de la route. Un concurrent en tête-à-queue dans un virage bloque la route.

But what I think he wanted to say is:
Quote:
2) Dans la corde si le concurrent est dans le virage (en trajectoire tendue ou en dérapage).
3) Dans le virage (en trajectoire tendue ou en dérapage) si le concurrent est dans la corde.

The current English rules managed to not get tangled up in grammar:
Quote:
Overtaking an opponent can only be done in 4 situations:
1 In a straight, except if the road is blocked by the opponent’s cars. (If unable to go forward on one’s turn)
2 Through the shortcut if the opponent is on the corner (interior trajectory or skidding).
3 Through the corner if the opponent is on the shortcut.
4 If the opponent is off the road. However, an opponent who is turned around on the road in a corner blocks the road.

I hope this makes sense to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does make sense. So the German rules are broken, too. Because they suggest, that you can drift around the corner even if someone is on the ideal line. That's not possible right?

You could start drifting though, when one player is in the second drift spot, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
This does make sense. So the German rules are broken, too. Because they suggest, that you can drift around the corner even if someone is on the ideal line. That's not possible right?

You could start drifting though, when one player is in the second drift spot, right?

You got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(but you can never enter the ideal line when one other is on any given drift spot..?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it's a really long corner. Take this as an example:

Look at the first curve when you're going from the bottom left to the top right. There can be a total of at least three cars in this curve at once. There can be a car on the third (4) or fifth/sixth (5), another car on the second (4) or third/fourth (5) and yet another car on the first (4) or first/second (5). But they cannot pass each other since there is no shortcut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfect. thank you very much indeed. we played this very wrong indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you could have six cars on that corner! They'd all have to be drifting, but it's possible!

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Actually you could have six cars on that corner! They'd all have to be drifting, but it's possible!

Cameron

Indeed, I edited my entry above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.