Popular Tags: [View All]
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a big Lovecraft fan, and I regularly play board games; with those biases established, my review.

I've been playing the board game version of Elder Signs since it was release a few months back. It's simple but fun. I heard this was coming out for iOS, thought it would be a great way to have a board game experience without packing around the boxes. Is that what this is? Basically, yes.

The graphics look great, but the text is a bit on the tiny side for me. I've got a 4S, but I prefer to play this on my ipad in doubled mode.

It's got a nice set of tutorials to teach you how to play, though I'm not a big fan of videos, they work. I'd probably rather just download the PDF of the board game rules and work from that, but that's me.

The transitions between the turns seem longer than they need to be, and I'd love the ability to turn them off altogether, though they would make it easier to use this as a pass and play game.

Overall, it seems slightly harder than the board game, and a bit more limited. No Allies, only a single old one, and the lock spells only hold a dice between tests, rather than between turns.

If you like the Elder Signs board game, I'd recommend it. If you like iOS board games, I'd recommend it. If you've played that Necronomicon game, thought that was cool, give this a try.

If you're a fan of fast games, you might want to wait for a sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazeo Faz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game is definitely worth getting, this is the first game that I have bought for the Ipad right away without waiting for a sale and I feel like it was well worth the full price. For people who thought the board game Elder Sign was too easy Elder Sign: Omens was made for you. This game is a lot tougher but not in a cruel way, it has a high replay value and I'm already addicted to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, won't they get sued because they have "Elder" in their name, like in "Elder Scrolls"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is easy to read on my Mac.

I think it is slower than the analog version too. Too much clicking on check marks.

You don't get to place monsters, so that can really up the difficulty. There doesn't seem to be lingering effects either. Unless I've just not noticed them.

Still lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has any one had a hard time beating this game? I have yet to win. First couple games I wasn't really paying attention to strategy, I was just having fun. But the last few games I have tried to figure it out and I keep it close elder signs to doom tokens, but it seems later in the game there is not as many opportunities to get elder signs. Any hints on strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazeo Faz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It took me about 5 tries to finally win a game, and it was close, since the next doom token would have ended the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Won 14 to 12 (AZ has 14 doom tokens? I was at -2 and breakdown). Lost one guy because I forgot to check what would happen if he failed. Used the Nun, Scientist, Old Man Harvey (dead with 8 trophy points too), and the Reporter.

Not replacing investigators makes it harder. Plus there are nastier Mythos cards (got one which added 3 doom tokens and another added 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.