Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me if this medical tape, http://www.vitalitymedical.com/3m-coban-self-adherent-wrap.h... , is the same stuff as Hugo's Amazing Tape?

I had some blood drawn this morning, and this seems like the stuff they used to hold gauze on the wound. It sticks to itself, doesn't have any adhesive, and seems like it could be reusable. It's price per yard isn't necessarily better than Hugo's, but because it comes in smaller rolls, it seems like a better deal to me. I don't know that I'd ever need more than 5-10 yards of the stuff anyway.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugo's is totally smooth and non-elastic. That stuff looks quite different from the pics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The medical tape is elastic and textured. I think it would work in some instances where that wouldn't be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri Cities
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,
Hugo's is basically made of the same stuff as holiday window decorations and store door decals. It works great, but I have personally had problems of it wrinkling my decks that are sleeved. Just the top and bottom cards of course. I use it mainly for unsleeved decks and holding boxes together now. FYI...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is the same stuff at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely different, though it may work for your needs. I prefer the smooth finish of the Amazing tape for cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Seeber
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Hugo's amazing tape is made from PVC, whereas according to the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) the Coban tape you were looking at is made from a mixture of natural rubber, polyethylene, spandex and an acrylic binder.

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Andrews
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...why buy either? I fold sheets of Saran Wrap on themselves about 6 or 7 times, press 'em flat with a pen or chopstick, then wrap the cards. I've been storing 3 LCGs and a pile of PnPs that way for quite awhile, no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my cards are bagged. Actually, my biggest use of Hugo's is to hold boxes securely closed, keeping the bits snuggly inside.

But I did a double take at this title, due to the day I was trying to secure a box lid with Hugo's, using my trusty Swiss Army knife scissors to cut the right length, and had a major "oops", ending in my impaling my palm with the (quite sharp) scissors, requiring a trip to the ER, complete with nurse. So I have quite a mental association between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pentool PSD
United States
Apopka
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Also, Hugo's tape can be easily cleaned up like new with soap and warm water when it loses its stickiness. The medical tape picks up lint, etc. and really can't be cleaned once it loses its stickiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bondage tape = cheaper alternative to hugo's tape. same stuff.
coban wrap could work... but i would be worried about long-term deterioration and what it could do to your game/components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor John
msg tools
We used Hugo's to hold gauze to a wound, and it worked really well. Plus, we could adjust the pressure, and we could clean the tape w/alcohol and reuse it. Much less expensive than using self-adhering gauze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.