Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got through reading a forum post about not having TV in your home. Everyone talks about how much more time they have to do things , like read books and such. So, my question is: What are you reading right now? I'm not interested in comic books or magazines (Though I read plenty of those), but I am interested in hearing your choices in Fiction and non Fiction. I guess I'll start it off:

Fiction: Just got "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" which I haven't started yet. Also reading "The American Fantasy Tradition", edited by Brian Thomsen, a collection of fantasy short stories by American authors from Nathaniel Hawthorne and Joel Chandler Harris, to modern authors like Harlan Ellison and Alan Brennert. Includes a great essay on the subject by the editor.
Non Fiction: Just got through with "The Turk" by Tom Standage, an excellent history of The Turk, a Chess playing Automaton built in the late 18th century. Definite required reading for gamegeeks, and especially chessgeeks.
That's me. What are you reading?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Right now I'm reading "Building Harlequin's Moon" by Larry Niven & Brenda Cooper. It's about a ship used to terraform a planet that gets diverted and has to terraform planet for workers to generate fuel for the main hop of their journey. However most of the crew stays in suspended animation, while the process takes into 10's of thousands of years to do. Quite an interesting read so far.

As for Harry Potter, I swear I tried to read it once, but read like a children's novel, and a poorly written one at that. Makes for fun cinema though.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I'm actually in summer school taking war literature. I am reading this really excellent historical fiction novel by Pat Barker called Regeneration about WWI and the poet Sassoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading New England Frontier -- Puritans and Indians 1620 - 1675 by Alden T. Vaughan. I have a grandiose plan of someday creating a boardgame based on the events leading up to and including King Philip's War, and this book is one of several that I'm reading in support of this plan.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Jansen
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several at the moment. The Wastelands by Stephen King, State of Fear by Michael Crichton, and the Hitchhiker's Trilogy by Douglas Adams.

One of these days I'll pick up the new Harry Potter, after the hype has died down, and there's no longer hordes of screaming kids clamoring for it. I get enough of that at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two at the moment, both non-fiction:

1) Battle - A History of Combat and Culture, by John Lynn
2) The Middle East - A History, by Bernard Lewis

Prior to these, I finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor - I've been on kind of a military history kick for awhile now!

Usually I try to go fiction/non-fiction in my reading cycle, but I haven't picked up a fiction work for a couple of months now - I am looking forward to George Martin's fourth installment in the Game of Thrones series - that will likely be my next fiction read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Http:\\www.kieronmitchell.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I reading (very slowly...like, at most, 15 minutes a day):

St. Augustine's Confessions, and Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Wyatt
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 Nights In August. Great book if you like baseball.
To Be the Man. Great book if you like wrestling.
Deadly Reunion. Great book if you like Doctor Who.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the new Harry Potter book last night, it was great!

About to start: Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" for my small book group, and Kent Haruf's "Plainsong" for my large book group (although I might not actually read the latter before our meeting this week).

On Deck: "Inamorata" by Joseph Gangemi; "The Trial of Elizabeth Cree" by Peter Ackroyd; "The Statement" by Brian Moore; "A Case of Curiosities" by Allen Kurzweil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've got a copy of ''Alternate Generals'' with a whole slew of 'authors' including:
'Harry Turtledove', 'Lillian Stewart Carl', 'Elizabeth Moon', 'Brad Linaweaver', 'S.M. Stirling',
'Lois Tilton', 'Jody Lynn Nye', 'Esther Friesner', 'Bill Fawcett', 'William Sanders', 'Janet Berliner', 'William R. Forstchen', 'David Weber', 'John Mina', 'Brian M. Thomsen', & 'R.M. Meluch'.

A great 'variety' then, w00t!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a couple things on the go - the main read at the moment is "Shakey", which is a biography of singer Neil Young.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently reading:

'Broken Angels' by Richard K. Morgan (actually re-reading)
'Iron Council' by China Mieville
'Quicksilver' by Neal Stephenson
'The Truelolve' by Patrick O'Brian

I don't watch TV much either, but the wife does. She is currently reading the new Harry Potter book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading "The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic" by Gay Salisbury, Laney Salisbury.

It's the story of 20 men and 200 dogs racing 674 miles across the Alaskan wilderness to save people in a community who needed serum to treat the 1925 diphtheria epidemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which I have heard described as Harry Potter for adults. That isn't far off. Quite enjoying it.
Also, Harry Potter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which I have heard described as Harry Potter for adults.

I read that back in February. I started out something like 800th in the electronic library queue so I waited a bit for it. I'd be interested in what you think of it. I had heard of that comparison but I'm not really sure why. Other than containing the word magic, I'm not sure what the comparison was based on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermann Melville: Moby-Dick; tried to read it in English, but sadly failed, due to lack of vocabulary. Recently a new translation has been published, which had good critics; the one I'm reading now.
In addition: Tim Severin: In search of Moby-Dick
Thomas Bernhard: Wittgensteins Neffe (Wittgenstein's Nephew)
Non-Fiction: Pascal Bruckner: Ich kaufe, also bin ich (Misère de la prospérite´. La religion marchande et ses ennemis.) Has been awarded in France (2002) as best economic book.
Besides that: US-comics (DC Vertigo & IDW)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to my fellow Geek's recommendations I'm currently reading H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 1: At The Mountains of Madness and loving it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Henry, Lord Brougham: The Later Years, 1830-1868 for one of my summer grad classes.

For fun I'm reading The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurling Tales of Horror and the Macbre, and All the Way to Berlin. Next up will be Papa Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe and Son Eisenhower's Bitter Wood: The Battle of the Bulge.

Or maybe I'll just play a few games, instead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiction - Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Currently just about to finish Two Towers.

NonFiction - Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters by Dick Staub
It is a very interesting book. If you like the Star Wars "Religion" and are searching for your own beliefes, I would recomend this book. It explains the Christian faith in an easy to understand way, but doesn't push it down your throat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My commute to/from work provides me with a lot of reading time, so I've made pretty good progress on a number of books recently.

Right now I am reading: Israel on the Appomattox, by Melvin Ely. It's about the life experience of several freed slaves trying to make their way in antebellum Virginia. Not far enough along to know how good I think it is.

In the past three months, other books that I very much liked were:

Travelers' Tales -- Best of 2005
Autobiography of Frederick Douglass
9/11 Commission report

In particular I've been a sucker for travel writing lately. People become outstanding writers when writing about their travel experiences. Being in a strange land turns you into a kid again -- everything is new and different and worth noticing and recording.

Other books I've read in the past three months include Of Bicycles, Bakelite and Bulbs (Bijke), Inside the Victorian Home (Flanders), 100 Years of Solitude (Marquez), The 2% solution (Miller), and Probability and Statistics (Tabak.)

Didn't think any of them were great. 100 Years of Solitude, in particular, was a disappointment. If Borges had written it, it wouldn't have been half as long.

Re some of the books others have mentioned:

Stalingrad (Beevor) -- fantastic book
Moby Dick (Melville) -- a lot of people like to rag on Moby Dick but I think it's every bit as great as its hallowed reputation. I read it while living briefly in Georgia, I think in 1988. It made a huge impression on me: I can vividly recall walking along a wide street, reading it as I walked, and then ducking into a nearby store when rains broke out.

I have read the first two Harry Potter books, and liked them. I'm well behind the rest of the world in reading these, I guess.

I have read several Lovecraft stories and modestly enjoyed them, but didn't love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the gym--Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Space opera at its finest...he's really, really good.

At home fiction--Iron Council by China Mieville. He could use a good editor, but his books are full of more cool ideas than 100 by most authors.

At home nonfiction--The New Testament and the People of God by N. T. Wright. Scholarly look at the origins of Christianity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished The Adolescent by Dostoevsky (the new Pevear/Volokhonsky translation) and Tales of Pirx the Pilot by Stanislaw Lem. Not sure what's next. I might read Lem's Cyberiad again just for laughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
At the gym--Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Space opera at its finest...he's really, really good.

Excellent read. Even though sometimes I find Alastairs writing a bit too british, for lack of a better term, but interesting story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently on the Brain:

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene (just finished--fabulous!)

Independent People by Halldor Laxness (Iceland's most famous & Nobel Prize-winning author)

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by. . . oh, you all know

Just Finished Re-Reading:

War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (wanted to revisit this after the movie)

The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurling Tales of Horror and the Macbre (from a desire to dust off some of these short stories to prep for the boardgame release)

Cheers,

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
berserkley wrote:
Just got through reading a forum post about not having TV in your home. Everyone talks about how much more time they have to do things , like read books and such. So, my question is: What are you reading right now? I'm not interested in comic books or magazines (Though I read plenty of those), but I am interested in hearing your choices in Fiction and non Fiction. I guess I'll start it off:

Fiction: Just got "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" which I haven't started yet. Also reading "The American Fantasy Tradition", edited by Brian Thomsen, a collection of fantasy short stories by American authors from Nathaniel Hawthorne and Joel Chandler Harris, to modern authors like Harlan Ellison and Alan Brennert. Includes a great essay on the subject by the editor.
Non Fiction: Just got through with "The Turk" by Tom Standage, an excellent history of The Turk, a Chess playing Automaton built in the late 18th century. Definite required reading for gamegeeks, and especially chessgeeks.
That's me. What are you reading?

Just finished HAVE SPACESUIT WILL TRAVEL by Robert Heinlein (read it 17 times before I got out of high school - basically visiting with an old friend) and EYE IN THE SKY by Phillip Dick (Interesting but not his best work). Just before that I read FLASHFIRE by Donald Westlake writing as "Richard Stark" (A "Parker" novel, featuring the character from Mel Gibson's PAYBACK and Lee Marvin's POINT BLANK - a brutal, remorseless burglar who divides his time between planning and executing smooth movie-style heists, tracking down people who double-crossed him on his last heist, and dodging the survivors of people he's taken to task - absolute must-reads for anyone who likes those kinds of movies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.