Vincent VdA
Belgium
flag msg tools
Yesterday we played the last two adventures of the Castle Ravenloft Board Game, conveniently called "The Hunt For Strahd" parts 1 & 2.
Heroes we played were the elven wizard (CR), the human ranger (CR) and the elven paladin (WoA). I kept forgetting the +1 the wizard gave his companions.

Part 1 was a cakewalk because of hard encounter cards that got cancelled. The bodyguard turned out to be the dreaded Werewolf, who gave us some problems due to his overpowered regenerating ability (regenerate on every heroes turn, are you kidding me??) but went down after a salvo of special powers.
Strahd appeared on the secret staircase and had to flee rather quickly once he had 5 remaining hit points and turned into mist form.
The heroes were ready for him (or were they?)!!!

Part 2 got hard on several occasions, but the end was EPIC in every way! I shuffled some monsters from WoA into the CR deck, replacing the puny kobolds with cultists and also adding gibbering mothers (the horror!) and legion devils to the fray. It made a hard game even harder.
The first encounter cards were BRUTAL, with no chances to cancel yet, so it cost the heroes valuable energy. I also shuffled the Gray Hag (promo) into the monster deck and she turned up a little further into the dungeon, accompanied by some dreaded wraiths, spiders and skeletons. The heroes had some trouble overcoming the combined might of the monsters, but prevailed in the end thanks to some very welcome healing potions in the treasure pile. The paladin got the HOLY AVENGER, which ultimately saved the day. But not on its own. I lost count of the bad rolls (1 for the heroes and 20 for monsters) we made, it was as if some greater power was toying with the heroes!
When Strahd appeared in his crypt (I was really lucky with the coffins in this adventure) he quickly charged the heroes and unleashed hellfire, which crippled the wizard. The paladin and ranger managed to force Strahd to revert to mist form and retreat to his coffin, but not for long. The furious vampire lord returned and managed to bring down the three weakened heroes in but a few rounds. We thought it was game over (3 heroes down with but 2 healing surges remaining = crazy).
But then the forces of light decided to intervene. The wizard got up first and sent a magic missile into Strahd, bringing him back to 5 hit points. The paladin was next, desperately swinging her holy avenger in a final act of faith! All seemed hopeless. And she rolled a natural 20!!!
1 (damage) + 1 (critical) + 3 (holy avenger ability vs vampires) = 5. Strahd was utterly destroyed. Only ashes remained and Barovia was saved!
It took exactly one turn (not round, TURN) to differ between victory and utter defeat. The ranger was next and down, with no healing surges remaining so it would have been "game over" if not for the lucky 20.
And this wasn’t the first time we found ourselves in this situation (though not this desperate). Against the Dracolich it also took one turn between defeat and victory as the beast got destroyed a single round before the wizard would have been killed (down with no surges). Epic!

We keep cursing the dice (a 1 again??? surprise The monsters roll 20 again???) but in the end these victories are the sweetest. And most memorable!
Now to challenge a red dragon! And help out Drizzt of course... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! Reading your report, it just feels so right that the Paladin from WoA should be part of the team (and ended up slaying the Count!).

I had the same FINAL turn roll of 20 vs Gravestorm, with the additional 1 damage killing it and winning us the game. The amazing thing was how Gravestorm missed Arjhan (who eventually slayed it) for 5 rounds consecutively! We joked about how Arjhan must have been the Dracolich's illegitimate child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I love mixing these two games!

An aside; my group still argues to this day that magic weapons like the holy avenger (vs UNDEAD) do not work on strahd who is typed as VAMPIRE. The young vampire is typed as UNDEAD, not vampire. RAW says you were robbed of that victory-- as would half my table. I would love to savor that kind of triumph.
We all know a vamp is undead, but we can't agree if the difference in type was on purpose to make strahd stronger, or at least limit the gear used against him. There is the sunsword (vs Vampire).

Anyone else have this fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent VdA
Belgium
flag msg tools
We just assumed vampires ARE undead. Though not all undead are vampires.
Never saw the keyword on the young vampire though. Ravenloft is a BRUTAL game, Strahd is nearly impossible to tackle without divine aid (gear, luck, ...). So we rule that the Holy Avenger actually works.

As a sidenote, I started Wrath of Ashardalon and it seems a lot more balanced, even easier than CR. I finished the first three adventures without using a single healing surge (and with some good die rolls, also very important)!
I'm going to mix some monsters from Drizzt into the stack (goblins, troll, spiders, ghosts etc) to spice things up a bit. Encountering a troll under the volcano is going to be... interesting.

Session review(s) may follow later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Holy Avenger adds 3 to attack rolls vs undead, not to damage. This is still quite helpful against Strahd's high armour class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Tremblay
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
on part #2 i remebmer trying this and get whipped out on an inch of a life... the 2nd time i try that quest i win it so easily that i was disarmed!! when you are lucky on EVERY roll and the monster got the d20 curse, it helps!

but those adventures are quite good ans challenging!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.