Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ken, Aldie, Scott, John, George, Derk

Ken was a little anxious to give this game a try prior to our upcoming trip to Gulf Games, because there’s supposedly a grand game of Take It Easy for all attendants. After the last game, I don’t think too many of us had a problem with any game selection. The game is kinda like a thinking man’s bingo.

Each player is given a board and an equal set of tiles. The tiles have three different line types on each of them, with the lines numbered one to nine corresponding to the line type. Each combination of tile type is represented in the tile set, so you mathematicians can figure out exactly how many tiles that makes. Anyway, the object of the game is take the tiles and place them on the board so that you construct complete lines from one end of the hex-board to the other end (either vertical or one of the diagonals). If you successfully complete a line from edge to edge (either three, four, or five length) then you get the value of the line type times the length. So a one-type line of length four is worth four points. And a five-type line of length five is worth twenty-five points. One of the players turns all his tiles over and randomly selects tiles. Each player then finds the same tile and places it on their board (presumably in different places). After the boards are full, the player with the highest total score wins. I think a real game winner is the player with highest total of all games played.

There’s not much to tell about the game itself. It’s a decent time with a slight one-game learning curve. I think the surprise of the game was John. The first game was awful for him, but he simply humbled us for the remainder of the games. This is particularly interesting as he was the sole liberal arts guy in a group of compu-geeks. Maybe they do teach something useful in those classes like History of Pottery in the Early Byzantine Empire…

On an unrelated note, we added a new gamer to the Metroplex Gamer ranks with this game. Lisa, Ken’s wife, suggested to one of her co-workers that he hook up with us to play some games. Anyway, just as we were finishing one of the rounds, Scott showed up. Oh boy, another name crisis! Our first Scott promptly volunteered to use his nickname, Aldie, which would work fine other than the fact that we didn’t give it to him. I shall begrudgingly endeavor to call Scott Aldie from now on, but I didn’t have much luck that day…

John: 64, 161, 175, 169, total: 569
Ken: 106, 147, 145, 149, total: 547
George: 125, 133, 138, 144, total: 540
Aldie: 136, 92, 149, 133, total: 510
Derk: 93, 138, 86, 147, total: 464
Scott: 79

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.