Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part II - Player Roster Set, Accepting Alternates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part I has officially ended (and none too wonderfully, according to the Fellowship), it's almost time to start Part II: The Ring Goes South.

Currently, I have the following players in:

jmilum
shugyosha
melsana
berserkley
Stuey
arkibet
Noaceyet
xandryyte
silverpenny
jaredh
dalestephenson
gregarius
deadkenny
dbmurph22
KakarisMaelstrom
seanp
Peregrine
Tarrant
Rukasu

Alternate: ptper

This game is slated to start Monday, August 8th.

Here are the revised rules and roles. PLEASE comment on any of the special role powers if you think they are too powerful or not useful at all!

Game 2 - The Ring Goes South, roles are:

Balrog - One of the villains (wolves). If successfully lynched, may kill any one player who voted for him when the lynch takes place. If Gandalf is alive, however, Gandalf will automatically take the place of the person that the Balrog targets.

Lurtz - The second villain; captain of the Uruk-Hai band hunting the fellowship. Once during the game, Lurtz may publicly announce an “Attack on the Fellowship” – which disrupts the normal lynch for that day. When Lurtz announces this attack, all votes for the lynch are discarded, and ONLY Lurtz may cast a vote for lynch that day. If Boromir is alive, however, Boromir will automatically take the palce of the person that Lurtz targets. Regardless of the result of this lynch, one living Fellowship member will be confirmed by public Moderator post as "a hero of the fellowship" for helping to thwart Lurtz's attack. This person may not be targetted by the villains on the night immediately after Lurtz's attack is made.
-Lurtz and the ringbearer- If Lurtz targets the ringbearer for lynch in this method, the ringbearer gets a free, optional use of the ring to evade the lynch (applies to anyone, including Frodo and Sam, and doesn't count against Frodo's normal 1 use of the ring). HOWEVER - using the ring to avoid the lynch will cause the ring-bearer to gain 1 corruption point.

Nazgul - The last villain. Mounted on a winged beast and hunting for the fellowship and the ringbearer, once during the game the Nazgul may PM at night to the moderator with a set of names to search (may only be submitted after that night's kill has been finalized). The Nazgul will be told if the ring-bearer is among those named in the search, but not specifically which person. The number of names that are submitted depends on which night the ability is used: On Night 1, the Nazgul may submit four names; on night 2 the Nazgul may submit 3 names, on night 3 2 names, and night 4 only 1 name; after night 4 this ability is gone. AFTER the Nazgul uses this ability, the Nazgul will from that point forward be sent a PM by the moderator when the ring changes holders, from one player to another - only the fact that the ring has changed hands will be messaged, no names of who had it or who now has it will be sent.

Villains may PM each other at any time, and will PM the moderator each night with the target player to be killed. If one of the martyrs also targets that player, then the martyr is killed instead and the villains learn which player was actually killed. If both martyrs target the same player that the villains target, one of the martyrs will randomly take that player's place (the other martyr will not be revealed to the villains, and the martyr will not learn of what happened until daybreak).

Gandalf - Martyr role, may target a person (by PM to mod) each night to protect, takes that person's place if that person targeted by villains. Also, if alive when the Balrog is lynched, will take the place of the person targeted for death by the Balrog.

Boromir - Also a Martyr role. Each night, may target a person (by PM to mod) to protect, and takes that person's place in death if that person is targetted by villains. Also, if alive when Lurtz uses his special ability, will take the place of the person targeted for lynch by Lurtz.

Galadriel - The Lady of Lorien is the seer to the Fellowship. Every night, she PM’s the moderator with a name, and is revealed that person’s exact role. (Galadriel receives a random Night 0 vision, on other nights she targets players by PM to the mod.)

Frodo - The ringbearer, begins the game knowing who Sam is (and the two may PM each other). Once during the game, if Frodo is targeted for death (by any means), Frodo uses the ring to escape the kill (nullifies a lynch, night kill, Balrog and Lurtz abilities). Frodo may choose to pass the ring to someone as a night action (either before or after having used it) - he may choose to pass it to Sam (a known safe) or to anyone else that Frodo wishes to give it to, for safekeeping. However, if the ring goes to a villain, then the fellowship loses the game; if it goes to a corrupted person, the fellowship and villains will lose the game IF that person still has the ring at game end.

Sam - Begins the game knowing who Frodo is (and may PM Frodo). If Frodo is killed, Sam is likely to become the ringbearer (once Frodo passes the ring to him). However, unlike Frodo, Sam is not able to use the ring (or unwilling, as the case may be). If Sam has the ring and is killed by the villains, then the fellowship loses the game. Sam MAY choose to pass the ring to someone else, but if he is killed by the villains with it, the game will end.

Aragorn - The tracker. Aragorn PMs the moderator at night with the name of one person that has been killed (either by lynch or villain kill). Aragorn learns the exact role that person had. During the day, Aragorn may choose to post a message through the moderator to the forum, to reveal this information.

Remaining 8: members of the Fellowship, elves of Lorien, etc.

Ring Corruption Rules: As the fellowship progresses the ring weighs heavily on the mind of some, and some more than others. Each night, the moderator selects one non-villain at random, and that person gains one "corruption" point. If a player gains enough points, that player is "corrupted" and will attempt to steal the ring from the ring-bearer.

A player also gains a corruption point if the ring is passed to him/her (exceptions: Frodo and Sam do not gain this way).

Frodo gains a corruption point upon using the ring to evade death. Any ring-bearer gains a corruption point if the ring is used to evade Lurtz's special Lynch ability.

Frodo and Sam require 4 corruption to become corrupted.
Gandalf and Aragorn require 3.
Galadriel and 6 of the Fellowship members require 2.
Boromir and 2 of the Fellowship members require 1.

Players are notified by PM when they receive corruption points.

A corrupted player will attempt to steal the ring and win an "individual victory" by keeping the ring until the game end (see below). On the day after corruption, the player maintains any abilities he/she has until the end of the following night; after that night ends, the player loses all special abilities, and may continue to make attempts to steal the ring.

IF the corrupted player dies on the day or night immediately following the first attempt to steal the ring, that player is "redeemed" for his/her sacrifice and will win with the Fellowship (even in death). If the player is still alive after this, the player will only win by taking and holding onto the ring to the game's end.

Stealing the Ring: Any player that is corrupted will attempt to steal the ring. On the night that the player becomes corrupted, the corrupted person sends a PM to the mod to target a player to steal from (if no PM is received, a target will be chosen randomly). If the target player has the ring, the corrupt player has a 50% chance of successfully taking the ring.

If the target player does not have the ring, he/she has a 50% chance of spotting who made the steal attempt.

If the target player does have the ring but the attempt fails, he/she will automatically know who made the attempt. If the attempt succeeds, the ringbearer has a 50% chance of finding out who took the ring.

Handling the Ring: Frodo starts the game carrying the ring. If he is targetted successfully for death (by any means), then Frodo will use the ring to escape this fate. This is a once-per-game usage, and is only usable by Frodo. Frodo may pass the ring (as a night action) to any other player of his choice at any time during the game. Any non-corrupt player that is given the ring may pass it to another player. Any player receiving the ring may only pass it after holding it for one day (e.g., after night has passed between day given and day passed on).

If the ring is passed to a villain the Fellowship loses the game.

If the current ring-bearer is LYNCHED (including by Balrog's or Lurtz's special ability), the ring will be passed (by the moderator) as follows: 1. to Frodo if Frodo is alive, 2. to Sam if Sam is alive and Frodo is not, 3. to a random non-corrupt member of the Fellowship, 4. to a random corrupt member of the Fellowship if all are now corrupt. Thus, it is NOT POSSIBLE for the villains to win through a single lynch, even through Lurtz's lynch.

If the current ring-bearer is KILLED (at night by the villains), then the villains win.

Any player passed the ring will automatically gain one corruption point. Note that this may make that person "corrupted" as a result.

Lynches:

Every day at 12 PM BGG time. Provisional voting is permitted by PM to the moderator, criteria for the provisional voting must be objective and based on something the moderator can easily determine (e.g., "if dbmurph replies to my vote, then switch" is valid, but "if dbmurph says something incriminating, then switch to him" is not). If your vote changes due to provisional criteria being met, those criteria and your new vote will be revealed publicly to the group.

In case of a tie, GALADRIEL and the NAZGUL will become the tie-breakers. Mod will choose a random number between 1 and 12, these two players will PM the mod with their guess. Closest to the chosen number gets to choose, by PM, how to break the tie. If one or both are dead I will still ask for numbers; when one is dead the other wins automatically, if both are dead I will choose randomly how the tie will be broken.

Victory Conditions:

The Villains win if at day-time their numbers equal or exceed the non-villains, OR if they successfully kill the ring-bearer at night. Note that ring-passes occur BEFORE the villains' kill takes place.

The Fellowship wins if they successfully rid themselves of the villains, and the ring is still in the hands of a non-corrupt member of the Fellowship.

A corrupted individual wins if he/she has possession of the ring at the time either the villains or Fellowship would normally win (normal game end) - in which case the individual wins, and the Fellowship AND villains lose the game. (Note that the corrupted individual will win WITH the Fellowship if he/she dies after his/her first attempt to steal the ring).

Order of Events

Lynches occur at 12 Noon BGG time. Night falls. NO POSTING DURING THE NIGHT PHASE.
Night actions are sent to Mod by 2:00 PM BGG time. Corruption is sent to players shortly after nightfall.
- All targets of actions are declared by PM.
- All visions (Aragorn, Galadriel) are sent.
- Ring pass is made, if ordered.
- Villains' kill is made.
- Nazgul's search is made, if ordered.
Ring-stealing attempts (by anyone corrupted, including those corrupted on the same night) are sent to the Mod by 3:30 PM BGG time. Results are PMed during this time.
Day breaks at around 4 PM BGG time, or earlier if all actions resolved before that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part II SIGN-UP THREAD
I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will keep the tradition going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me in for all 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh... Aug 1...

Now I have a dilema... I really want to play in the Monty Python game which starts then. I even got my husband to join that game too.

But I also promised my husband that I wouldn't play two games at once.

Now what do I do?

Don't take me off the list yet, but make sure you have an alternate just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we could move the start date to July 29th, the Friday before - and then technically you haven't joined two games at the same time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Well, we could move the start date to July 29th, the Friday before - and then technically you haven't joined two games at the same time...
LOL.. Yeah. I don't think that would fly in the Soulliard household. I will talk to him tonight and see if I can get him to agree. With both games having lynch times while I'm at work I might be able to swing it because I won't be as likely to need to hop online while I'm at home, which is what bugs him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
kimapesan wrote:
LOL.. Yeah. I don't think that would fly in the Soulliard household. I will talk to him tonight and see if I can get him to agree. With both games having lynch times while I'm at work I might be able to swing it because I won't be as likely to need to hop online while I'm at home, which is what bugs him.
There ya go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
With both games having lynch times while I'm at work I might be able to swing it because I won't be as likely to need to hop online while I'm at home, which is what bugs him.
yep. bugs my wife too, especially when it is the kids bedtime (8pm CDT)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Melsana wrote:
With both games having lynch times while I'm at work I might be able to swing it because I won't be as likely to need to hop online while I'm at home, which is what bugs him.
yep. bugs my wife too, especially when it is the kids bedtime (8pm CDT)
Well, I don't even have reliable net access after about 5 PM or so. Thus, I couldn't possibly moderate a game with a lynch time in the evening.

Besides, I think this gives the evening players plenty of time to put in their 2 cents worth before the day-time lynch. When it's the other way around, the night-time players don't have much time to get in, read posts, and make a vote before the lynch occurs. And then things are quiet until the next morning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be able to play the game if it was an evening lynch, because I am moderating the MP game. I still want to play the next one, but my post volume just will be down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I wouldn't be able to play the game if it was an evening lynch, because I am moderating the MP game. I still want to play the next one, but my post volume just will be down.
No worries there. Not going for an evening lynch in any of the LOTR games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in if there's still room! Some nasty things could happen if Galadriel was corrupted. How many characters turned traitor in part I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, nevermind. I see Part I started just recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Ah, nevermind. I see Part I started just recently.
LOL. Well, corruption isn't part of Part I, as the ring's influence isn't really weighing too heavily on anyone in that part. But Part II... definitely. In fact, that element alone makes me think I should bump part II up to 19, so that the good guys don't get too overrun with traitors... hehehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Count me in if there's still room! Some nasty things could happen if Galadriel was corrupted. How many characters turned traitor in part I?

You betcha. Of course, that's one rule I forgot to include - anyone corrupted by the ring will lose special abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Rukasu wrote:

You betcha. Of course, that's one rule I forgot to include - anyone corrupted by the ring will lose special abilities.
Ah, but she will still know what she saw BEFORE she was currupted, which could still make things interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
kimapesan wrote:
Rukasu wrote:

Ah, but she will still know what she saw BEFORE she was currupted, which could still make things interesting.
Oh most certainly. In fact, I think it rather nicely reflects the self-imposed "test" Galadriel undergoes in the book (and film for that matter). Galadriel might well have chosen differently and taken the ring when offered to her... and that pretty much would have been the end of the whole affair. Sauron would have had her and the ring within minutes. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please.

Although, if it is the week of Aug. 1st-5th, I cannot make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like to sign-up for part II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had signed up for the entire series originally....hmmm, at least that was my intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the whole series was full, so I thought I signed up as an alternate for the whole series. Sign me up, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Miles
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up, I'd like to participate in future games if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if you intended to sign up for all 5 but I left you off - it wasn't clear in the original thread who wanted all 5 and who wanted to be just in the first. Silly me - I shoulda figured everyone would want to be in all of them! But of course not everyone can play each one so I didn't want to make any assumptions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!