Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie, Will, Derk

After that last game, we were still in an experimentation mode. So I suggested Torres. I was kind of thinking that this game was for a strict four-player game, with fewer players meaning less of a game. And I was thinking that the games that I’ve heard weren’t good ones (such as a couple on RGB), weren’t good because of only three players. I just had to find out for myself. We broke out the little castle pieces and I started to explain the in’s and out’s of home castle improvement.

We used the action card variant and a single master card, which gave bonuses for occupying the diagonals of the main playing board. Our game actually was more of a learning experience, as my prior playings really gave me an edge in how to move around the board. The first round scores were fairly normal, with me a couple points out in front.

Derk: 31, Aldie: 24, Will: 22

Will placed the King into a middle-sized castle, which meant that Aldie and I could possibly get the King’s bonus. It was rather difficult for me to shoulder my way into the King’s castle, but after Aldie took his position, I got a diagonal position with some action card play. However, the best places on the board tended to be mine, because the others weren’t quite into the Torres mindset just yet.

Derk: 97, Aldie: 84, Will: 81

When Will placed the King this time, neither Aldie nor I could easily put our knights into position. Will was sort of bottlenecked into one corner of the board, but had very nice scoring positions in that area. And Aldie had a couple of great placements on the other end of the board. I think they both were looking for the game to have more direct ‘messing with the other players’ aspect. But this game is more about finding the best possible placement for you pieces for the given situation, and that’s it. However with four players, the game becomes quite a bit more cutthroat with board being that much more crowded. I think this is why some folks see run away wins, as is practically the case here.

Derk: 249, Aldie: 197, Will: 185

I still like the game, however it really should only be played with four players for the best experience, I think. And I’d love to reengineer the Master cards with some round-by-round substitutes, but I probably won’t. This game still does it for me though…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.