Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie, John, Eric, George, Derk

This was actually my first playing of this widely played card game. The deck is a bunch of cards numbered 1 to 104. Five cards are laid out, and placed in order. Then each player selects a card out of his hand and plays it face down. All cards are revealed and placed onto the table, starting with the lowest valued card. Cards are placed into the sets of cards on the table, with the stipulation that a card must be played on top of the closest card value below the card being placed. If you’re card is placed as the sixth card, you take all the cards in the pile and put your single card in it’s place. The taken cards have bullhead symbols on them, and all the bullheads you take count for a point. When someone takes sixty-six points worth of bullheads, the game ends and the lowest score wins.

My first thought when I played the first hand was, “What the heck am I playing?” I didn’t really understand the gist of the game. But thanks to Eric and John taking most of the high point stacks, I didn’t score a whole bunch of points before I knew what was going on. The card to play in a given situation was a little tricky, as you want to play the card that matches the current card arrangement, but when you get to play it (and whether it makes it into the stack that you’re aiming for) is a very huge issue. It would be quickly apparent that the contest was between George and me for the win. However, in what would be the second to last hand of the game, I pulled out a number that was just idiotic to play in that particular situation, and I took a bunch of points for it. George walked away with the game.

George: 5 + 0 + 6 + 8 = 19
Aldie: 10 + 16 + 4 + 9 = 39
Derk: 8 + 1 + 27 + 8 = 44
Eric: 10 + 25 + 18 + 17 = 70
John: 24 + 22 + 11 + 34 = 91

It’s an alright game, on the whole. The arcane-ness of how to place the cards into the played cards area of the table could be a bit much for some people (read: non-gamers), but that’s only relevant if they care about how their scores will look at the end. I mean, if you wanted to play the game for pure fun, it wouldn’t be bad at all. But to add any sort of control-freak to the mix would mean disaster, which means we’re gonna have to play this game with Neil…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.