Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
John, Aldie, Tim, Ken, Derk

After all the games that I played last week, I wasn’t really anxious for any supplemental gaming this week. But Ken did get me a belated birthday present of a Carabande set from Adam Spielt, so I had set that up on my dining room table. We gave it a shot with the first configuration and some decent fun with it. I figured I may as well leave the thing set up for early gaming on Saturday (Lord knows I don’t use my dining room table for anything other than gaming).

Tim was the first the show up, with Aldie right behind him. After a little Crash Team Racing on the Playstation (excellent title by the way, it’s almost a direct port of Mario Kart 64), John showed up and the real racing began. I watched the first game as the guys tried to fling their cars through the racecourse with something approaching brutality. I called Ken to see when he’d be showing up, and he said he’d be a little late because he was unwrapping the second half of his Adam Spielt order that had just arrived. This worked out just fine as the guys were just finishing the first race, with Tim simply murdering Aldie and John.

We restarted the race with all four of us and the action was quickly apparent. The first corner led into the jump and there were lots of bumping and shoving to retain a good position for the jump. Tim and I got shoved down onto the starting level a couple times before finally getting across the chasm. But the patience that I’d developed earlier that week would serve me well over the next lap or so. I caught up with Aldie and John’s little breakaway, and then passed them over the jump. After nailing the jump the second time, the game got a bit less exciting, because the rest of them got hung up on it for a while as I cruised around the track. But I would soon get my come-upance when Ken showed up for the third and final race and simply kicked my butt with some phenomenal finger flicking.

I have to say that this game does a lot more for me than I thought it would when I originally heard about it. In fact, if I hadn’t tried a set at a convention a while back, I probably wouldn’t have gotten the game. George has a copy of this game that he’d brought a few times, but I’d never personally gotten a shot with it. I must say that this game is much more appealing when it can be setup in advance and then removed after playing. Neat game, but the pieces are just a little much in the heft department to be easily transportable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.