Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be the most fantastic game ever*

Let me guide you through the rollercoaster of fun that is.... Barrel of Monkeys. Why else would there be the expression "More fun than a barrel of monkeys" if this game was not the acid test to which all other fun experiences in life, nay in the universe, MUST be compared.

The Components:

My edition of BoM is constructed in sturdy, space age organic compounds produced by polymerization, molded into the shape of (a) a barrel and (b) 12 monkeys. The ingenious design of this is that the barrel is both the monkey receptacle used later in game play as well as the convenient portable carrying case for the entire game! The edition that I have (1996) has a vibrant sunburst yellow barrel and monkeyriffic red simians.

The components are molded from beautiful sculpts and accurately represent both the barrel and monkeys to perfection. There is no part of the components that would leave people wondering what they could be. The detailing on the monkeys is sublime, from the individual hairs in the monkeys sumptuous coat of fur, to the expression of unadulterated glee on each and every monkeys face, will not leave you disappointed.

If there is any problem with them, it is that the "monkeys" in the game are tail-less, and really do more closely resemble chimpanzees, which we all know belong to the same biological order as monkeys, but are in fact a different suborder. In fact, the publisher's website (http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.viewproduct/product_id.8616/dn...) even contains the text "Create a chain of chimps." This small oversight can clearly be attributed to poetic license.

Scalability:

This game is shows just what scaleable means. You can play this on your own in the solomonkey-race-the-clock variant, or against ANY NUMBER OF PLAYERS! That is right, no matter how many people you have in your group, you can play BoM. Since BoM really is a solo dexterity based game, in the event of a tie for points, I suggest that speed is used as the tiebreaker. Multiple BoM sets can be used to decrease downtime, but are not essential. Can any other game boast the versatility that is shown by the magnificence that is BoM? I did not think so, take that Settlers of Catan.

Game play:

Use whatever method you like to determine playing order, in keeping with a monkey-theme I would suggest some sort of banana eating contest. Use either volume or speed (depending on your game group.) Alternate methods involving body hair coverage, barrel jumping, or some sort of mime are also acceptable.

The player who's turn it is grasps one monkey firmly (in either hand) and then with infinite care, selects a second monkey (Monkey B) and attempts to pick it up by intertwining any part of the first monkey's body with it.** Upon the success of this "linking" the player then proceeds to designate a THIRD monkey (Monkey C) and then attempts to add this monkey to the chain via the same mechanic. Should this succeed, more monkeys are designated and lifted right through MONKEY L.

When playing multiplayer BoM, a player's turn is over when the chain is broken by dropping the monkeys, at any point above the bottom "link." This is to say that if I had a chain A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H+I*** and I was going for monkey J, I could drop monkey J as many times as I liked while trying to lengthen the chain, but would only finish my turn if I broke the chain by dropping monkey B-I.****

Winning:

The player who creates the longest chain of monkeys, or connects all twelve in the fastest time is proclaimed the winner.*****

Fun Factor:

Apetabulous! Tamarriffic! Chimptacular!

Replayability:

Infinite, like the Olympics, BoM players can always strive for better times.******

Room for expansion:

Try combining multiple BoM sets to up the challenge! Or perhaps the publisher will one day release the always rumored NINJA/VAMPIRE/ROBOT/PIRATE Expansions.

The final word:

This game may be the sole reason that our civilization has developed.

It may still happen that BoM brings about an end to international conflict, feeds the starving of the world, and bring about a new golden age on our society.

-Der Chad.

Footnotes:

* about monkeys holding hands
** EXPERT TIP - linking the arms is the easiest and most stable technique according to BoM grandmasters.
*** I frequently have chains as long as this and sometimes EVEN LONGER - I AM JUST THAT GOOD!
**** It is generally assumed that you will never break the chain at Monkey A since you are hanging on to that one. If you do, this is probably not the game for you, try Puerto Rico.
***** The winner may also lay claim to the title "Lord of the Monkeys" or "Emperor Ape" until de-throned by another.
****** Also like the Olympics, performance enhancing drugs are prohibited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Webster
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangupendous review! laugh

I'm honored to be the first to comment on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the theme is pasted on. Most monkeys I see are either covering their eyes, or mouth or ears with their hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PASTED ON?!?!?

Are you crazy? I think that the question of whether or not this theme is pasted on can be answered by performing this test: Could you change the theme and keep the fun and enjoyment of the game?

Try these:

Theme Still fun?
Keg full of Cows : no
Bucket of Frogs : no
Box of Wildebeast : no
Sack of Cheetahs : no
Crate of Lobsters : no

I think I made my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do the rules mention whether or not you're allowed to try to distract other players on their turn, like by shouting or flinging poop?

(Even if not, that doesn't mean those aren't valuable or effective techniques. In our group, all it took was one poop-flinging incident during a particularly slow game of Axis & Allies; now when that guy stands up and starts to undo his pants, you finish your turn! Nobody wants to call his bluff, so we can play a complete 5-player game of A Game of Thrones in about 20 minutes.)

P.S. I'm certainly not saying the theme is pasted on, but on your list of containers-of-things-which-are-fun-to-hook-together, you forgot:
Bus of Groupies : yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, there are no rules changes prohibiting this kind of thing. I think it would be fair to say that some ground rules could be established before the contest. If nothing about distractions and taunting is talked of, I think the normal bounds of good sportsmanship should still apply.

Bus of Groupies... I will grant you that. However I think that I did at least demonstrate that the theme of barrel of monkeys is integral to the games innate majesty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Igo
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love this game as well! It finally got the attention it deserves.

Bravo!!

I have bought many barrels of monkeys, nigh near a keg and paint them in different hues, shades and tints. I have replaced many pawns, meeples and minatures in other games to increase the "barrel of fun factor".

In Sucking Vacuum, for instance, everyone wanted to play the monkey. Now that I replaced all of the characters with monkeys, everyone is happy!

I have replaced paper money in my games with different colored numbered monkeys. I am thinking they would be a hit on the Texas Hold 'em circuit.

In Memoir '44, I love the anticipation of dropping a squad of paramonkeys!

In any of the Lord of the Ring games, who wouldn't feel the rumble of dread in the pit of your spleen at the sight of Nazgul-monkeys riding down the hobbit-monkeys.

"RUN FRODO-MONKEY RUN!!"

In Puerto Rico, I imagine colonist-monkeys swinging from trees happily gathering corn and indigo. (Although I did make the mistake of painting them brown. I have thought about just replacing them with just the unpainted red ones, but I can imagine where that would go.)

It doesn't work so well for some games though. Wallenstein was a disaster waiting to happen. Many monkey went MMIA that day.

Anyways, thanks for the reveiw!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is no monkey business Faser! I go ape for this one as well. My favorite opponent also happens to be the gorilla my dreams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to see if the 'Geek can handle a link from BoingBoing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fisher
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way this game could be more fun is if I were playing it on a train traveling through Egypt.

I would like to see a 10th anniversary edition of it also, like with real hair or something on them.

I would have also liked to see a quick start set of rules for some of us. Like to put velcro or magnets on the ends of the hands so we can get the hand of it.

Good review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
der_chad wrote:
PASTED ON?!?!?

Are you crazy? I think that the question of whether or not this theme is pasted on can be answered by performing this test: Could you change the theme and keep the fun and enjoyment of the game?

Try these:

Theme Still fun?
Keg full of Cows : no
Bucket of Frogs : no
Box of Wildebeast : no
Sack of Cheetahs : no

I think I made my point.

Sorry. There are at least two other versions of this. One has elephants (linking tails and trunks) and brontosauri (linking necks and tails). Obviously, these are merely imitations of BFOM, and do not have nearly as much flavor fun factor.

I like the Crate of Lobsters idea, but You'd obviously need a mechanical device for the claws. Raises the production price. Not price-effective, or for a different class of consumer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
der_chad wrote:

Man, I would totally play this game. But with real lobsters, not plastic ones. Person with the most fingers wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the person who ends with the most fingers still on his or her own hands, or the one who ends up collecting the most severed fingers belonging to their fellow players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wendt
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see this on BGG, but why not?

I just bought it today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls