Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how the rest of you are faring, but in three games we've never managed to secure the Holy Grail from its quest. Every time we get close there is a run of despair cards (or the desolation ones) and we're back to square one. Also annoying is that there aren't any super grail cards similar to the desolation ones, where one card is thrown out AND the card is added to the display. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Additionally, one the Excalibur quest, once it is finished any additional cards add one siege engine regardless of a win or a loss on the Excalibur quest. Do Excalibur cards that come up after completion of the quest get discarded, or thrown on top of the quest board as the drawing seems to suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that despair and desolation cards make the grail quest difficult. Keep at it - after all it IS the holy grail!

I have always gone early in the game to secure the grail. I have even tried to delay getting the grail just to avoid having endless seige engines popping on the board - however, it just makes it that much harder getting the grail because of all the cards you need to play and all the despair/desolation cards you need to remove.

It may be better to let the grail quest fail and concentrate on getting your swords elsewhere.

Excalibur cards that come up after you have won the quest are turned into seige engines (yikes)and placed in the siege area of Camelot. Fight them ASAP.

Good luck with future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
One trick I've seen used to successfully net the Grail is to use Merlin in conjunction with the Grail cards. They are two different action types, so you can do both on your turn to speed things along. You can also just use Merlin if the track is full to eliminate the Dispair cards so that you can conserve your Grail cards for filling in the vacant spaces.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
otrex wrote:
Additionally, one the Excalibur quest, once it is finished any additional cards add one siege engine regardless of a win or a loss on the Excalibur quest. Do Excalibur cards that come up after completion of the quest get discarded, or thrown on top of the quest board as the drawing seems to suggest?

They are discarded. The drawing is only a reminder.
(The same is true for the Grail after it has been won or lost.)
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarded...as in thrown permanently out of the game (which is not my interpretation), or simply placed in the discard stack to be reshuffled back into the deck when either deck is exhausted (which is the way we play)? Otherwise, the Excalibur cards will not be that much of a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarded, as in placed (face down, as always) in the discard pile.

I've played SoC 7 times so far, and the Grail was recovered in two of those games. Once with 6 players, once with 4. In the 4-player game, we seemed to almost always have one knight on the Grail quest. Then, near the end of the game, I (Sir Kay) called for all willing knights to join me at the Grail quest and recover the damn thing. Three knights went to the Grail quest and one stayed in Camelot to destroy seige engines. Through a combination of using Merlin to remove Dispair cards and placing Grail cards, we won the Grail and the game.

So don't 'Dispair' (sorry), just keep at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Discarded...as in thrown permanently out of the game (which is not my interpretation), or simply placed in the discard stack to be reshuffled back into the deck when either deck is exhausted (which is the way we play)?

There's nothing like "remove a card from the game" in SOC.
If cards do not stay in play ("Despair", "Mordred", etc.), they're discarded (i.e. put in the discard pile, ready to be reshuffled).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw cards until most players are well-prepared to seek the Grail. Send as many people as you can off on the search. Don't be afraid to lose life points for Progression of Evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One viable strategy is to run the Grail and Excalibur quests upto almost won but don't complete them and then ignore them for a while so that they soak up black dispair and excalibur cards. The Grail quest is specially good for this as it soaks up two dispair cards for each grail card on the\
board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
One viable strategy is to run the Grail and Excalibur quests upto almost won but don't complete them and then ignore them for a while so that they soak up black dispair and excalibur cards.

How does the rest of the game usually play out? White swords, black swords, siege engines....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We tried that one game and BARELY won. (4 players)
Black swords piled up on us quicker for some reason.
We lost the black knight once but beat him the second time.
We had one knight (Arthur) doing a holding action on the grail (we quickly got to 5 spots filled then 2 despairs came out). Arthur finally ran out of cards and nobody had any helpful cards to feed him.
Another knight secured Lancelots armour in the first 5 turns of the game.
We fought another holding action with Excalibur with our third knight - coming close to losing it early but eventually another knight joined him to secure the sword.
We never had the right cards to fight the saxons/picts. We used Merlin cards to hold both of them to 2 units each.
We fought seige engines like crazy - they were coming out of the woodwork every where.
At this point there were 5 black swords out, we had 3 white swords and still had not completed the grail (uh oh).
We got EXTREMELY lucky on our last turn - the seige engine count was up to 11 and both saxon and picts had 3 evil guys on each quest.
We needed one more spot for the grail - one knight used a merlin to clear out a despair, the next knight took a life point hit to prevent the progression of evil and was able (by the previous turn's draw) to messenger Arthur a grail card. Arthur had returned to quest for the grail. Arthur laid the special whitehero card for an extra white sword and burned has last remaining life point to play a white grail card to secure the grail and game victory with his dying breath!
Whew!
Too close - but a noble victory for Camelot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tesoriero
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Arthur laid the special whitehero card for an extra white sword and burned has last remaining life point to play a white grail card to secure the grail and game victory with his dying breath!

I realize that this was written a while ago, but I am curious how you resolved Arthur's death in this situation. Wouldn't he have just won the grail by completing the quest? He could then use the Grail to cheat death.

I guess it depends on the ordering of resolving a completed quest, but it at least makes sense thematically that he should be able to drink from the Grail as he finds it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
jtesorie wrote:
I realize that this was written a while ago, but I am curious how you resolved Arthur's death in this situation. Wouldn't he have just won the grail by completing the quest? He could then use the Grail to cheat death.

IIRC (and I can't be bothered looking it up at the moment, but I'm sure you can), the rules specify that you cannot save a knight using the Grail in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make sense that this would be the quest seldom won. After all, King Arthur's tale had the quest for the Holy Grail taking up most of his knight's time for years and never truly being completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.