Popular Tags: [View All]
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today online I played a couple 3 player games of Puerto Rico using buildings randomly selected from the original pool as well as the expansion.

The buildings in use were:

Aqueduct Guesthouse Factory
Forest House Church Library
Const. Hut Office Sp. Factory
Sm. Warehouse Sm. Wharf Wharf

Being that there was no uhall, harbor, or lighthouse, I figured it would be a good time to try my luck at the Specialty Factory. I don't think it stands a reasonable chance if any of the abovementioned buildings are in the game, or at least it is not worth getting instead of any one of those.

I was in second seat and first seat chose the builder, which I still consider to be a mistake despite the new buildings (I'm one of the believers in settler>quarry as an obvious game-starting move for first seat no matter what). He and I both bought aqueducts, which makes perfect sense since the cost 2 buildings were both crap. The third person passed. I selected settler>quarry of course and the next player majored. I selected the builder and got myself a sugar mill, and on the next settler got my sugar, so that I was up and producing sugar (with the help of a selection of major in the next round) before too much shipping or building had occurred.

At this point I was pretty happy with myself and confident that my strategy just might work. I was able to sell my sugar and in a short time purchase the specialty factory, only being 1 building behind the other 2 players.

The problem I found was with actually getting the 4 sugar plantations. I passed on sugar once to get a corn, but otherwise there were 2 settler round in which I got niether corn nor sugar (because they were unavailable), and so I had to wait quite a while to really get my machine off the ground. Of course I also bought the large indigo plant, so my production was really good, but I was in general pretty poor and only feel further behind in the buildings race with the others who both had purchased libraries (which, in a 3 player game are actually worthwhile), and one of them also had a church and 3 corn.

In the end, that player won by quite a bit. At least I came in second place, 1 point ahead of third place who didn't really find a solid enough strategy to pursue from the relatively poor building selection. His factory gave him money enough to build 2 big buildings to end the game, but it wasn't enough to put him ahead of the other guy who had shipped and also had the guild hall. I had to buy the residence since I was third to get a big building, and it only gave me 4 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.