jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well here the title says it all...

It was a 3 player game on Brettspielwelt, playing with buildings randomly selected from those in the original game as well as the expansion.

the buildings used were:

small market
forest house
const. hut
storehouse

hospice
large market
trading post
large warehouse

factory
university
library
union hall

It was obvious from the beginning that the uhall was going to be a big deal, considering there was no harbor and not even a church available to try to combat the power of uhall with a speedy builder strategy. In general, I find the uhall broken and prefer not to play with it, but option random is pretty much the only way for me to play with the expansion in general online, since people don't like the option where you actually choose the buildings you are going to use.

I had first seat so I chose (like I always do in this position) settler>quarry. This gave players 2 and 3 a corn, but I still think settler>quarry is the best move even if there are 2 corn in the supply, because its altogether likely that I won't see either of those corn anyways.

Games in which there is the uhall are always strange because people recognise that they are in a race to get it, and in a 3 player game there is a the fear of being that one person who doesn't manage to pick it up. Fortunately for me, this obviously wasn't really on the mind of the player who got the 2 corn early, as he bought a library with his first substantial amount of cash (after buying a tobacco plant and selling early on). Shortly thereafter both myself and the other player bought uhall, and we were both ready for it with 2 corn (7 out of the 10 corn came out by what must have been round 4 or 5). OF COURSe the problem was that without the aqueduct, we were faced with the problem of having to buy a large indigo or sugar in order to get more "natural" doubles going (natural as in not requiring one to craft).

I was the only person with a coffee plant, which I had used to get myself to the uhall, and once again after selling I had 7 bucks (counting my quarry) as my disposal. I decided to choose the builder and get the library, which is a good buy in a 3 player game, even though I recognized that it was a little late for it, being that we were already well into the midgame and with 5 buildings each (6 including the turn I got the libs).

To make a long story short, it was the combination of the libray, uhall, and last but certainly not least storehouse, which let me rack in the points from the uhall like it was no one's business. The other guy with uhall was not nearly as potent without an aqueduct to give him natural 2's, and even though he produced a couple times, he more often did something else (which was another reason I was able to win). My victory was also facilitated by the non-uhall player, who was surely inexperienced and didn't do much while we were off making a boatload shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.