Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just recently discovered boardgamegeek and would like some help finding games to get my wife into euro/designer games. She likes games like backgammon, cribbage, yahtzee but thinks games like LoTR, Honor of the Samurai and even Mystery Rummy are not for her. Even Settlers and Carcasonne didn't inspire much interest (although she hasn't tried the former). Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two players then? Maybe a game from the Kosmos family like Balloon Cup or Lost Cities? If you get a group together, Settlers is a good option. My wife wins that game frequently and a couple years ago she wouldn't play it with us either.

If she likes Backgammon, she is probably good with probability and combinations. She is likely pretty competitive too. This is all really good.

There are about a thousand geeklists about this. Try this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=search&sea...

This one seems like a very thoughtful list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I've been looking into Lost Cities quite a bit but the Baloon Cup theme kind of turned me off, I think I'll be more open-minded about that one. I'm wondering what games might be similar to Backgammon or at least challenge the same parts of the brain. If that makes any sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple - get a copy of Transamerica!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm currently recommending Jambo over Lost Cities as a great 2 player card game plus.

The trade mechanic and slightly strategic element of lining 4 cards up for one biggish hit have the preparatory position work of backgammon balanced by the 'making the best of what you've got' elements of the card draw (equivalent to dice in backgammon).

Certainly my wife and I prefer it to Lost Cities and she prefers it to most other stuff I can get her to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she plays Backgammon more as a race game, Cartagena or Odin's Ravens may also fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is always a good bet. Maybe Pickomino too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got Alhambra with my wife in mind. She seemed to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkallday wrote:
She likes games like backgammon, cribbage, yahtzee but thinks games like LoTR, Honor of the Samurai and even Mystery Rummy are not for her. Even Settlers and Carcasonne didn't inspire much interest.

Perhaps she likes familiar games but doesn't want to learn something new. Many non-gamers assume new games are "too hard", even though light Euros are much less complicated than Monopoly, which you learned when you were 7 years old.

This will require patience. Create opportunities for her to observe that games are easy and fun. It might be best to wait for her decide for herself that she wants to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You may also want to consider some abstract games given the games she likes. Here's a decent geeklist of abstracts to get you started:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is better with more players, and it is quite "light", Igel Argern (Hedgehogs in a Hurry) is alot like backgammon a die-roll race with strategic choices.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/95

You can try it for free on the 13th of each month on http://www.gametableonline.com/
and see if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great advice. Maybe you could help with one more thing. Having very simple rules is also important. Which of these or others could be understood after just a few minutes explanation. I had that problem with Jack the Ripper. While it is simple, the rules kind of make it sound more complicated than it really is. That might have been my fault but a couple of people I've tried it with just were not interested after hearing the rules. Thanks everybody for all the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe she just doesn't like games of the themes you mentioned. I have Lost Cities. I enjoy it as a simple card game but that is about it. I would suggest Hera and Zues. I really love that game. It's a card game with an interesting and different strategy. The directions are not long at all. There are pictures with little captions to use during the game that summarizes the game. If you want a woman's point of view on games, look at my collection and ratings. Enjoy your new adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I suggest getting Ticket to Ride Europe (very simple), Big City (simple) or St. Petersburg (not that simple to explain, but once you start playing it all makes sense). My wife is not a real gamer but she will play these games almost any time. Big City is OOP as far as I know, so you will have to look on E-bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities - the scoring is bizarre to newbies. The game seems empty on the first few plays. The emerging realization of strategies is what makes it compelling.

Hera & Zues - the cards have 'powers' and they ar enot referenced on the cards which bugs us a bit.

Caesar and Cleopatra is a winner with my wife and I enjoy it as well. Highly recommended.

Ticket to Ride can be explained in seconds and appeals to everyone. Two can play and more can play - it's still fun.

Igel Argen is very easy to explain. Roll a die. Then you MAY sidestep one of your own pawns, then you MUST move a pawn in the resulting lane forward 1 space (even if it isn't yours!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, Balloon Cup is the only non-word Euro-game that my wife will play with me...it's a good game and I wouldn't worry too much about the theme 'cause it's sort of just pasted on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dete tachibana
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
try playing some checkers then chess with her so that she can slowly
gain her confidence to move up to more complicated and strategic games.
you have to gently guide her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yomalord wrote:
try playing some checkers then chess with her so that she can slowly
gain her confidence to move up to more complicated and strategic games.
you have to gently guide her.

Not to take this too personal but CHECKERS! ! ! Come on. I could understand suggesting chess but checkers; don't insult the woman.

"Gently guide her"- like a toddler on a bike.

If you notice other session reports, gaming groups, and other members- women are quite capable of being gamers. Sorry if I am taking your suggestion out of context but this is how it sounds to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised that no-one has suggested Ingenious. She seems to like abstracts. This is an abstract that even I can like.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9674

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Kosmos Dracula since my g/f has been getting curious about my hobby. Normally I'm a wargamer but I didn't figure that would be a good intro. Anyway, I picked up Dracula for two reasons. I had a store credit at the FLGS for about that amount and it was the only Kosmos two player game on the shelf. Having only experienced Monopoly and Sorry as a child, she was surprised. She loved it. There may be other better games but the theme, low bit count and small board worked for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Plunder and Attika are excellent two player games. They are medium-weight games . Plunder is lots of fun and easy to play but the rules are very difficult to figure out. Attika's rules are only 4 pages long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Petry
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the games your wife seems to like and preference for simple rules, I recommend that you try:

Blokus: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2453

and

Cartagena: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/826

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.