United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played and loved Utopian Rummy. We played and enjoyed Jaipur (though only played about 10 times, not 100 times like Utopian Rummy). She's enjoyed playing Catan with just two players.

She doesn't like abstract games, or games with too much direct conflict. She's interested in building up something, like her settlements in SoC, or her jobs in UR.

Any PnP ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
We've played and loved Utopian Rummy. We played and enjoyed Jaipur (though only played about 10 times, not 100 times like Utopian Rummy). She's enjoyed playing Catan with just two players.

She doesn't like abstract games, or games with too much direct conflict. She's interested in building up something, like her settlements in SoC, or her jobs in UR.

Any PnP ideas?

If you loved Utopian Rummy, then I'd highly recommend Livestock Market The Card Game, since I got my copy I've barely played Utopian Rummy. Only fly in the ointment might be the fairly large take-that element. It's a very cute looking game, but it can be rather cut-throat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
She's interested in building up something, like her settlements in SoC, or her jobs in UR.
Has Dominion been attempted? It is deckbuilding after all. With expansions, the replayability is ridiculously high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:

If you loved Utopian Rummy, then I'd highly recommend Livestock Market The Card Game, since I got my copy I've barely played Utopian Rummy. Only fly in the ointment might be the fairly large take-that element. It's a very cute looking game, but it can be rather cut-throat.
I'll check it out. I've looked at it before, but never with my wife in mind. You're right though, take-that-ness isn't something she enjoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
She's interested in building up something, like her settlements in SoC, or her jobs in UR.
Has Dominion been attempted? It is deckbuilding after all. With expansions, the replayability is ridiculously high.
My concern here is the amount of rules. I suppose it's possible that introducing just one set of cards, and then playing them until she's really comfortable with it might work out.

Perhaps I could borrow it from someone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Todd Sander's Serica: Plains of Dust. It's semi-cooperative and you build a little trade route. Also Steam Lords, although that may be getting an update soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Road to Canterbury!!!!!!!!

Here's a game that only plays 2 or 3 players. If it played more the game would drag out and not be nearly as interesting you can just tell. It's fantastic. Definitely look into this one.

The Castles of Burgundy I know it's a little difficult to find but it's a great 2 player game. Actually I think the scaling in this game makes it fun for all player numbers. You do add game length with each player added but it's acceptable as the game in engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make it down this weekend, Jamie and I would be happy to get a game of Dominion in with you. It's our most played game. Drop out the Attack cards, and you are building up, without conflict. Playing with the guys, add attack cards back in!

I know you are looking for PnP, but here are a couple other suggestions that aren't PnP:

Glen More - I just got this recently, and I think one more play it will click with my wife. I'm digging it completely. Building up your little Scottish Village is great! The tile activation mechanic is cool too!
Homesteaders - Jamie likes this one quite a bit, the only conflict is an auction (which works surprisingly well with two players), and buying something before the other person.
Gheos - I haven't tried this two players, I haven't tried it with my wife either, but I dig it a lot. It is confrontational, but sometimes you are working on the same color as someone else.
Eminent Domain - Although my wife is allergic to SciFi, she doesn't hate this one. Good bits of Glory to Rome, Dominion, and Race for the Galaxy.
Stone Age - I really want to suggest Agricola, but Stone Age is lighter. The only take that aspect, is taking something before the other guy, and it's only that way if you play it that way. There are usually better choices than blocking someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
If you make it down this weekend, Jamie and I would be happy to get a game of Dominion in with you. It's our most played game. Drop out the Attack cards, and you are building up, without conflict. Playing with the guys, add attack cards back in!

I know you are looking for PnP, but here are a couple other suggestions that aren't PnP:

Glen More - I just got this recently, and I think one more play it will click with my wife. I'm digging it completely. Building up your little Scottish Village is great! The tile activation mechanic is cool too!
Homesteaders - Jamie likes this one quite a bit, the only conflict is an auction (which works surprisingly well with two players), and buying something before the other person.
Gheos - I haven't tried this two players, I haven't tried it with my wife either, but I dig it a lot. It is confrontational, but sometimes you are working on the same color as someone else.
Eminent Domain - Although my wife is allergic to SciFi, she doesn't hate this one. Good bits of Glory to Rome, Dominion, and Race for the Galaxy.
Stone Age - I really want to suggest Agricola, but Stone Age is lighter. The only take that aspect, is taking something before the other guy, and it's only that way if you play it that way. There are usually better choices than blocking someone else.

Jeremiah breaks out in a rash if he gets within 10 meters of a Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Eric knows me well.

I'd be willing to play an engaging Euro if my wife enjoyed it too. That said, Eric's right in that Gheos, Stone Age, and Agricola all thrill me to the point of falling asleep.

I've heard good things about Glen More, and I actually own Homesteaders, but haven't played.

And, any game that has any bits of GtR or RftG will likely scare my wife away. She wants simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how bout a nice game of tic tac toe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaboy wrote:
how bout a nice game of tic tac toe

She doesn't like Abstract games . . . shake

Actually, I know there is some minor conflict with certain cards but have you tried one of the cute re-themes of Battle Line? I know it is not exactly a build up game but there is some depth there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
There's Todd Sander's Serica: Plains of Dust. It's semi-cooperative and you build a little trade route. Also Steam Lords, although that may be getting an update soon.
Serica: Plains of Dust looks like it could work out. Means I have to get off my lazy-butt and build a game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
Actually, I know there is some minor conflict with certain cards but have you tried one of the cute re-themes of Battle Line? I know it is not exactly a build up game but there is some depth there.
Battle Line is pretty good, though certainly she'd want a different theme, the current theme just wouldn't interest her. I enjoyed Battle Line, but not so much that I'd go out of my way to try to teach my dear wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If she enjoys rummys you can try any of the other ones on the rummy contest.

There is also the Jack The reaper mystery rummy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Serica: Plains of Dust looks like it could work out. Means I have to get off my lazy-butt and build a game though.

It's worth the price of admission. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Does she like Lost Cities? I enjoy the "building up" feeling of it, and while I enjoy the theming of the original, you can make a PnP version of the "mörköpeli" deck of cards made by
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb

That deck will let you play both Lost Cities as well as Battle Line.

Battle Line feels to me like it has a lot of direct conflict -- it's like a slow trick-taking game where there are 9 tricks that you're both fighting over.

Did she enjoy Forbidden Island? I have a hard time stomaching Pandemic, but I can enjoy a good game of FI.

Have you tried Puerto Rico? That has a nice feel of "building-up" similar to RftG, with the same tangential conflict of role selection (to hopefully keep you interested), and none of the crazy iconography.

Have you tried Coloretto / Zooloretto? The former is great because of the compactness, and the latter is great because of the theme -- I totally understand the desire to want to "build" something, and it's so satisfying (for me) to have pens full of animals at the end of a game of Zooloretto. I dunno' -- maybe it's my inner child, but I really dig that. There's a great element of tangential conflict in there -- much more interaction than in a "classic" euro, which would hopefully be enough to keep your interest.

Along the Settlers line, have you looked at any of the other games in the Settlers franchise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages? Might have too little interaction for you though -- it's pretty much gaming against the system. But the feeling of progress and development in that game is great for being in such a small package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's where I change the title of the thread to, "Watch as Jeremiah tells us all why he and his wife don't like games."

Lost Cities - She found it to be too mathy, and I agree. The fun:math ratio just doesn't work for us.

Forbidden Island - Didn't play it with her, though it might work.

Puerto Rico - It interests me very little. I played it once a long time ago, and didn't enjoy it. Since then, I've become a grizzled old man, and I'm unwilling to change my opinion for any reasonable reason. That, and I think it would be too much to teach.

I've played Coloretto, but I worry it would be too direct-screwage. If she wants the red card, I'm a sucker if I don't put a brown card next to it. This would not cause smiles.

Zooloretto - Haven't tried, know little about it.

Settlers - We've played the two player space Settlers, and enjoyed it. I traded it away a long time ago when I came to terms with the fact that she'd never play games with me again. And then...who knew, she did.

Biblios - Possible.

Roll Through the Ages - Don't know enough about it. Might work for us, as I'm not set on having interaction when it's just us two, as that tends to bring about the direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of you already know this, but I'll point it out for those that don't.

My wife doesn't like games. It's a miracle that she liked Utopian Rummy. It's possible that she'll never like anything else again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Jeremiah -- I should have read your comments on games before suggesting some of those. Totally understand about the math in Lost Cities.

There are very few games that my wife and I can play together -- one of the surprise hits was 221b Baker Street -- it's like Clue, except actually interesting.

Zooloretto has a similar screwage factor as Coloretto -- it's a very very similar game, but it's mitigated by the fact that you're dealing with cute fluffy animals. And you can get money and upgrade your zoo, or buy and sell animals to other players, etc. So I love the building aspect in that game (if that's indeed what your wife enjoys) -- but I dunno' if that would be enough to get past the tough decisions (which are the same as Coloretto).

I've been hearing really good things about My Little Pony Hide & Seek lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
I've been hearing really good things about My Little Pony Hide & Seek lately.
I have too, it might even be my next 'perfect 10'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if Crayon Rails is your thing, but I've been having fun with my girlfriend playing Italian Rails which is a crayon rails game made by rick heli of spotlight on games.

If she doesn't like conflict at all, maybe play with the original empire builder rules (each person has 3 delivery cards that are there own, there are no public goods)

It might be a bit heavy, but if she wants to build something, a rail line across Italy is something...and if she really wanted to get to know the locations of all the cities in that lovely country, then even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, am a wife who just isn't into games. A surprise hit for me, which does not at all fit into the description of anything your wife likes (so YMMV), is Catacombs. Somehow, the flicking mechanic feels like a good mix of skill + random and unexpected laws of physics taking over, that I don't feel that dumb when I do a little poorly. It helps that Clint is not much more, if at all, better at the flicking, so I do tend to win. Also, Clint does an excellent job of fulfilling the stated role of the Overseer: "The Overseer sets the pace and tone of the game and although trying to win by defeating all the heroes, should want to make the game enjoyable for the other players."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.