Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Prussia Rising is a DTP game on the Franco-Prussian War, a rarely simulated conflict that ended in the creation of Germany and the long decline of French power. Although the game requires construction, the files must first be bought from TCS Games, an Italian company perhaps best known for their tactical games on the English Civil War, such as Edgehill: Dawning of the Revolution.

Gameplay (59/70):Prussia Rising is at its core a rendition of A House Divided. This means that the game is not driven by leaders, but rather by units, which move on a point to point map covering the northeastern corner of France, including the German border. On each turn the number of units that can move is decided by a one six-sided die roll, with the Prussians received an automatic three moves. The Prussians win if they seize Paris or secure more victory points. The French must stop them, making use of their fortresses while looking for the occasional opportunity for an attack.

Game in Progress

In combat infantry fire at each other, with the player receiving the hits dishing them out among his units. The units though are not simply the same. Instead each unit has an experience level: green, regular, and veteran. More experience means that a unit can take more damage. In addition to infantry there are cavalry, who can both screen a retreat and perform pursuit, although optional rules allow for cavalry to fight each other.

Units

Those are pretty much the rules. This simple system creates a relatively fun situation, although the Prussians are far too favored. In addition, some rather strange map connections in key places make many moves rather predictable. I think rules for interception would help a great deal in creating more on map tension.

Accessibility (8/10): The rulebook is only four pages long and should pose no problems for wargamers. However, the rules are a translation, so in spots they can be vague. Just use common sense and all will be fine. Besides, if you are playing this game competitively you need to relax and have a beer.

Components (7/10): This is among the best looking DTP games I have seen, with bright colors and some nice looking units. I’m taking off points only for the lack of period invoking artwork and pointless elevation graphics on the map.

Close up of the Map

Historical Quality (6/10): In many ways I am not the best man to describe this part, as my knowledge of the war is rather limited. The history seems well served. The Prussians have a stronger army and the cavalry rules allow them to recreate the famous “death ride.” One fun feature is the creation of the Third Republic if Paris threatened. All of that being said, a little more chrome would have been nice, such as rules for Napoleon III and von Moltke. Most of all I would have liked to have seen a viable way for the French to win an early knock out victory. From my limited reading, a more aggressive French strategy might have won the day, as the Prussians only got stronger as the war dragged on.

Overall (80/100): Prussia Rising is a solid wargame on a neglected topic. While perhaps too limited in terms of gameplay, and almost desperately asking for chrome, the simple rules lend themselves to modification. If you don’t mind making a game (or paying someone else to) and enjoy A House Divided, I suggest trying out Prussia Rising.

Cool Box Art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
80/100, waoa, you are generous ! laugh

I gave 4/10 to that game because I liked the artwork and Roberto the game designer, but that's about it...

"Limited in terms of gameplay" is quite an under statement.whistle
There is pretty much nothing to be done for the French and the system is weak as it doen't allow much simulation nor startegic play. Gameplay is almost broken imo...
But yes the subjet and the graphic arts are interesting...

I much prefered L'Aigle Foudroyé on the subjet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb

I like the idea of a game that appears to play only marginally shorter than the historical campaign it covers (Paris aside).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
80/100, waoa, you are generous ! laugh

I gave 4/10 to that game because I liked the artwork and Roberto the game designer, but that's about it...

"Limited in terms of gameplay" is quite an under statement.whistle
There is pretty much nothing to be done for the French and the system is weak as it doen't allow much simulation nor startegic play. Gameplay is almost broken imo...
But yes the subjet and the graphic arts are interesting...

I much prefered Aigle foudroyé on the subjet.

Well I wouldn't open up an artery for the game if that is what you mean!

The game you posted looks interesting. I'm interested in Vae Victis games. They cover subjects I am interested in and have good graphics, but the rules are in French right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an English translation of the rules in the BGG files section...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that, but I was thinking for the magazine in general. I want to buy Les victoires du Maréchal de Saxe: Fontenoy 1745 – Lauffeld 1747 but I'm not sure if I could actually play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to check game by game for translations.

Fontenoy v2 your are mentionning probably does have rules in english directly on VV web site: http://vaevictis.histoireetcollections.com/en/bonus.html.
I won't try this one, the v1 was very poor and the v2 seems to be just sligthly better. It is better looking anyways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You have to check game by game for translations.

Fontenoy v2 your are mentionning probably does have rules in english directly on VV web site: http://vaevictis.histoireetcollections.com/en/bonus.html.
I won't try this one, the v1 was very poor and the v2 seems to be just sligthly better. It is better looking anyways...

Yeah version 1 looked weak.

It appears they do have the set up available in English. Still gotta wait for the rules I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I like the idea of a game that appears to play only marginally shorter than the historical campaign it covers (Paris aside).

Well Jim, the Empire was lost in 1 month: I hope you play quicker!

Now the French Republic not only defended Paris and there was much fighting on the Loire River, in the East and North of France, with even Garibaldi coming to the rescue, not forgetting the siege of Metz and Belfort.

Not much that the young Republic could do but save honor. But the War lasted 6 months.in total !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.