Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Microbadge: Moby Dick fanMicrobadge: Ludwig van Beethoven fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Horse & Musket fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer - Beauregard
Battle Pack 1 is the first expansion for Napoleon's War: The 100 Days. This review will deviate from my usual style because the game discussed here does not drastically change the dynamics of Napoleon's War: The 100 Days in the way that Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set changed Hold the Line. Instead I'll discuss the individual scenarios and what I think of them.

Alexandria (22/25): This battle was fought in Egypt in 1801. It domed the already tenuous French governance over the area and was one of the first major British land victories of the era. The scenario itself is a bashing fest in which a large French army must overcome a British army in a prepared position. Normally these scenarios do little for me, but this one is asymmetrical. The Brits are out-numbered and must rely upon gunboats for fire support. The French have more artillery. All in all this is the second best scenario in the lot.

Jena (18/25): Napoleon’s great victory at Jena featured his army smashing the Prussian rearguard. As with the real battle, things generally favor the French, who have a central position and a better army. Worst of all the Prussian infantry have only two figures each. This makes little sense to me. The Prussians took a lot of punishment at Jena. Where they failed was in their leadership. For this reason Jena is not the greatest scenario. But one could do worse as you will soon see.

The Battle Lines at Jena
External image

Auerstadt (15/25): While Napoleon was winning at Jena, Davout was out doing him at Auerstadt, winning one of the most impressive victories in all of history. Unfortunately the battle does not translate too well. The Prussians must attack with inferior infantry and some heavy command penalties. You’ll have to “fix” this one to make it fun or at least competitive.

The Battle Lines at Auerstadt
External image

Bussaco (25/25): This was among Wellington’s most lop sided victories, although the results were not strategically decisive. This one is fun in part because it features the Portuguese, but also it tests the French ability to maintain the attack against a strong although not invulnerable position. Most of all, the forces are evenly matched and balanced in terms of composition and quality. It is my favorite of the bunch. Originally this was supposed to be The Battle of La Rothiere, and I hope that does get featured down the road.

Overall (80/100): Battle Pack 1 is a must for fans of the system. I would say only Auerstadt fails to live up to the rest, but in that sense it is no different than Wavre in Napoleon's War: The 100 Days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Edgar Allan Poe fanMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: Columbus Blue Jackets fanMicrobadge: Columbus Crew fanMicrobadge: Frasier fan
Nice review Sean. I was thinking about buying this one, but had a question.

You gave Jena and Auerstadt poor reviews and both seem to based on the fact that the Prussians have only 2 figures each. I read your house rules and saw you stated that they should start with 3 each. I happen to agree with you on that. Is there enough figures for 3 each? Also, how does that do in evening up the scenarios so that they are better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Microbadge: Moby Dick fanMicrobadge: Ludwig van Beethoven fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Horse & Musket fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer - Beauregard
Nappy wrote:

You gave Jena and Auerstadt poor reviews and both seem to based on the fact that the Prussians have only 2 figures each. I read your house rules and saw you stated that they should start with 3 each. I happen to agree with you on that. Is there enough figures for 3 each? Also, how does that do in evening up the scenarios so that they are better?

I bought extra figures on the Victory II website, so I'm not sure how well that should cover things in this game. As for evening things up, I'm actually going by other people in my gaming group on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Edgar Allan Poe fanMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: Columbus Blue Jackets fanMicrobadge: Columbus Crew fanMicrobadge: Frasier fan
gittes wrote:
Nappy wrote:

I bought extra figures on the Victory II website, so I'm not sure how well that should cover things in this game. As for evening things up, I'm actually going by other people in my gaming group on that one.
The other people in your gaming group gave your initial review based on two figures and original rules, or your house rules and three then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Nappy wrote:
gittes wrote:
Nappy wrote:

The other people in your gaming group gave your initial review based on two figures and original rules, or your house rules and three then?
I played with two. Some friends used my three figure suggestion and said the game was better for it. I trust them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ah, gotcha. I have heard from several people that two is simply too few. I think I will get it and use you house rules then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fanMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
Just out of curiosity, for Jena, has anyone tried the stategy of just playing for time (retreating as soon as the French are in position to hit eliminate the Prussians)? Ahistorical and gamey, but based on a solo play through, it might work.

I am sort of curious why Worthingtom left the scenarios otherwise so seemingly unbalanced, seeing as these are abstract games rather than 1:1 representations, anyway . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors: Napoleonics fanMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
FYI, I think the better answer may be giving the Prussian's some extra elite unit markers for Jena and especially Auerstadt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls