Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

High Frontier» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A first session of High Frontier - The one where the ESA kills everyone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well well, my first game of High Frontier and it was a good one. Having previously played the game a couple of times, my husband had already upgraded to the full game (with expansion) and so we launched into this tumultuous experience with a third player (who had played the previous two games with him) and me - brand new and sparkly eyed with a solar system to explore.

For my first mission, as I started getting the hang of things I decided to send a micro rocket to the comet Phaeton, with a crew, to gun for the science mission bonus. I managed to (quite accidentally) create an awesomely efficient solar rocket and got there and back quite quickly after bollocksing the survey attempt (no surprises really).

Meanwhile, my fellow players were planning trips to Mercury and an asteroid respectively, so by the time I got my crew back to Earth, they were well on route.

My husband had decided to build a factory on Mercury and get the 'bring the crew back' bonus, and as he reached it, he realised that he had miscalculated and couldn't actually land his hapless crew on the scorching little rock, a fact which, judging by his expression was causing him considerable pain. He agonised a bit then, with a sudden triumphant look he said: 'I've figured it out!'

And proceeded to blow his crew out the nearest airlock aided by the fact that our third player had just changed the political track so that murder of ones crew was no longer a felony.

Strike one for the ESA's diabolical endeavors in the inner solar system (They would continue on, as it turned out, to murder a further two crews before the game was out - blaming it on 'solar flares' or some rubbish).

Shimizu meanwhile (our other player) was busily producing goods in the asteroid belt to enable his designs on Jupiters' moons to become a reality, and I was still asking stupid questions and finally managed to build a factory on Ceres.

That's when things started to go to hell really. Whatever naughtiness was occurring near mercury triggered a solar flare which promptly fried my crew (who were just about to return from Ceres to give me the 'any site explored' bonus)and forced me to ship my tech back to earth as a freighter whilst I tried to cobble together another plan.

'Venus!' I decided - 'I've just built black tech which allows me to abuse solar power, I shall go to Venus and set up the second last factory of the game'

My husband eyed this development with some irritation, having had designs on Venus himself, and then chortled delightedly as my beautiful little ship toasted itself on final approach to Venus by failing the hazard roll. Strike my second crew...my track record was starting to look like the ESA's. He then proceeded to drop a mission on Venus, stealing my thunder and building a factory there, whilst the other player positioned himself for the final factory which would end the game.

With one factory to go, I realised there was no way I could launch another mission in time, and I simply stockpiled some water to ensure I kept the 5 points the UN (my faction) gets from the political track whilst our third player finished the game in style with a third factory in Jupiter space.

We totaled our points and saw the Shimizu player had blown us out the water with 20+ to our measly teen points. All in all, a fascinating game. You don't quite 'get it' when you read up about High Frontier and how it is an 'experience' more than a game, but after one play I agree, and it's an experience I am VERY keen to repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
And so it begins...
mb
An excellent session report. Your may hand your husband the PRC card next time whistle

Now, there were a lot of ambitious missions there. Did your husband succeed at Mercury after all or did he change his plans for a "S" factory to build a ISRU:0 robonaut (as you built the only "C" ISRU:0 raygun) needed for Venus? And what about the Shimizu player? Did he industrialize one of Jupiter's moons?

Quote:
You don't quite 'get it' when you read up about High Frontier and how it is an 'experience' more than a game, but after one play I agree, and it's an experience I am VERY keen to repeat.

Amen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

He succeeded at building a factory on Mercury, but not at landing a crew there for glory. And the Shimizu player did indeed build a factory on one of Jupiters moons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sica wrote:
You don't quite 'get it' when you read up about High Frontier and how it is an 'experience' more than a game, but after one play I agree, and it's an experience I am VERY keen to repeat.

I haven't played High Frontier yet, but I've found this applies very much to American Megafauna as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Between all players... how many crew were killed?

It sounds like it might be a record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

umm...around 5? Shimizu seemed to be doing a better job at keeping their people alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forty One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"What does this Flush crew button do?"
"DON'T PRESS THAT!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Heh-heh, yeah: 'I'm sorry boys this is mission control, we seem to have miscalculated. But don't worry, the mission is still a go-ahead. We're switching control to the on-board AI now.' devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Wolff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'll kill everybody aboard!"
"I can't let you do that, Dave... wait... on second thought...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Dollman
South Africa
Clarens
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the mission commander for the ESA I'd like to put the record straight on the unfortunate incident in Mercury orbit, from my condo in the Seychelles: "The pressure sensor read the EVA door as closed and sealed, turns out it wasn't. Oh well."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.