Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Buried Treasure is a game at which I stink, but nevertheless find very intriguing. I think part of the love is because it has some of the characteristics of chess in calculating forward moves and countermoves.

I decided to try something new when we played this time around: to eschew my normal strategy of going for quantity over the long run, and just focusing on picking up the cards that seemed most valuable at the time.

In the first round, I succeeded in doing exactly that, and nothing else. I won first place in the reds (8 points), and had no other placements. Ed really cleaned up, having first place in each of blue (the most valuable suit), green and yellow. After one round the score stood:

Ed 20
Kelly 10
Chuck 8

The way we play, the person in last place gets first move in the next round. I was inadvertently in a great spot because Ed and Kelly began to steal exclusively from each other. This enabled me to win first place in the greens and blues next round. This time Ed only had one placement (yellow), but it was the strongest one. Kelly was well diversified and got points in every suit. The score was then:

Ed 30
Kelly 27
Chuck 23

Things really fell my way in the last round. Ed stole from Kelly late, not realizing tha I was a threat. I thus finished in first place in three of the suits -- red, blue and green, with red being the most valuable of all.

The final score:

Chuck 43
Kelly 40
Ed 39

A purely lucky victory on my part in what my have been our closest-ever game of BT. Based on individual play, I didn't deserve to finish first. I was the player who suffered the fewest losses to thefts by other players. True, that's part of the game, too, but I didn't accomplish that deliberately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.