Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
I think it's hilarious.

The sheer number who appear to think it legit is astounding. nearly 12 of the first 15 posts....

you got punked!

I know some teenagers who "punked" some people by taking down a stop sign at an intersection- they thought it was funny. Probably because they were 14.

"punking" doesn't belong in the rules forum, if it belongs anywhere.

Why would you equate taking down a stop sign at an intersection (clearly an illegal act) to making fun of the masses here on BGG (on the internet, no less. No stop signs here!) who cant wait to rip on AFAoS and it's accused "brokeness"?

What is THAT all about?

Have some Christmas Cheer! and relax!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
dond80 wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
I think it's hilarious.

The sheer number who appear to think it legit is astounding. nearly 12 of the first 15 posts....

you got punked!

I know some teenagers who "punked" some people by taking down a stop sign at an intersection- they thought it was funny. Probably because they were 14.

Why would you equate taking down a stop sign at an intersection (clearly an illegal act) to making fun of the masses here on BGG (on the internet, no less. No stop signs here!) who cant wait to rip on AFAoS and it's accused "brokeness"?

What is THAT all about?

If you don't think the game isn't broken, then it's you who'll get punked when Martin releases a fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
dond80 wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
I think it's hilarious.

you got punked!

What is THAT all about?

If you don't think the game isn't broken, then it's you who'll get punked when Martin releases a fix.
[I'll excuse the poor use of the double negative]

I better watch out and I better not cry.

Why?

I'm tellin' you why!

Martin Clause is coming to town!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Moved to Variants

Whahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
galfridus wrote:
Trolling is one of the reasons for marking a post for admin review. The original post seems to me like a definite example of trolling.
Actually, it's the (truly bizarre) freak out responses that are trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect example of the difference between BGG and more robust communities, e.g. CSW. Here the best post ever about this game attracts all this QQ and gets shunted off to the side. Sad really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
galfridus wrote:
Trolling is one of the reasons for marking a post for admin review. The original post seems to me like a definite example of trolling.
Actually, it's the (truly bizarre) freak out responses that are trolling.
Aladraon, can you explain why the OP did what he did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
clydeiii wrote:
I don't have access to his motivations, but I suspect he believed people were smarter than they in fact are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the original post I just thought it was a fun way of suggesting a new variant. I think the game is fine as is, but this idea seems to be a decent variant to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it's typical BGG arcanity (if I can make up a word). My guess is the OP saw it as a sly way to introduce a variant rather than simply say, "Hey, how 'bout this here doozledazzle?" Rather than jump back in at some point and fess up to being facetious, he'd probably rather watch the resulting confusion that typically ensues when someone yells "geek fire!" in the BGG theatre. Whether you think it's funny or annoying is a matter of taste, but it seems pretty typical of a website populated by intelligent people who enjoy one-upping each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
To borrow from Jim Rome:

This is the Unfunny, Uninspired, Unreadable Text post of the Day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
I don't have access to his motivations, but I suspect he believed people were smarter than they in fact are.
With multiple versions of rulesets floating around, as they assuredly must be, given what those close to Martin have said, why wouldn't we assume that this is possibly a Martin-approved rule..?! It obviously doesn't exist in the rules as the first edition shipped with, but that doesn't mean anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
With multiple versions of rulesets floating around, as they assuredly must be, given what those close to Martin have said, why wouldn't we assume that this is possibly a Martin-approved rule..?! It obviously doesn't exist in the rules as the first edition shipped with, but that doesn't mean anything.

Precisely. The post was made in a forum reserved for questions and observations on rules, and there was nothing about the post that in any way indicated jest. In fact, i think it would be illogical for someone to read the op and think it was a joke- there was no reason to until the thread further developed. I wonder how many people who only skim the OPs in threads are playing the game thinking this is some update v 2.0 rules that didn't come with their game. Im not upset personally because it caused me no harm, I'm mad for those other unsuspecting folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
clydeiii wrote:
...why wouldn't we assume that this is possibly a Martin-approved rule..?! It obviously doesn't exist in the rules ... but that doesn't mean anything [to us].
QED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
...why wouldn't we assume that this is possibly a Martin-approved rule..?! It obviously doesn't exist in the rules ... but that doesn't mean anything [to us].
QED
You do not make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
When I read the original post I just thought it was a fun way of suggesting a new variant. I think the game is fine as is, but this idea seems to be a decent variant to me.

Jeff hit it exactly.

I had an idea about Home Support and its (mis)use in the boring Halifax Hammer approach and thought I would introduce it in an attention-getting way.

I did post that a friend got this variant from Al-Jazeera or Fox News, but nobody seemed to catch that.

No harm intended - just trying to make light of a serious discussion of a great game.

Apologies to those who felt it was inappropriate - it should have been in the General or Variants folder from the start.

Pax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I really like it as a fix idea. Has there been any discussion of that? Or just thread-derailing complaining? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point there was discussion about increasing the cost of Home Support, removing it frmo the game entirely, putting conditions on it, but most believed Home Support alone is not the problem - it's just part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
FWIW, I really like it as a fix idea. Has there been any discussion of that? Or just thread-derailing complaining? laugh

Is it possible to derail a thread that was a practical joke? And where would it end up if so, a legitimate discussion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Is it possible to derail a thread that was a practical joke? And where would it end up if so, a legitimate discussion?
It isn't really THAT difficult to differentiate between form and matter, is it? The form was a joke, the matter - a variant proposal - is not. It looks quite interesting, actually. We've already get it that you don't accept such a form and it's obviously not necessary for you to repeat it numeorus times in this topic, practically in your every post. It's in variants section now and should to be treated as one. No one who enters this thread will think anymore that Martin Wallace for real put an extra rule on the last page of rulebook so nobody could see it(now that would be the epitome of trolling, eh?), nor anyone will think it's that long awaited official fix (yeah, it obviously looked like one, since Al Jazeera was the source, reportedly). The world is therefore saved, so there's no need to continue this discussion, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solkan1 wrote:
dond80 wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

It isn't really THAT difficult to differentiate between form and matter, is it? The form was a joke, the matter - a variant proposal - is not. It looks quite interesting, actually. We've already get it that you don't accept such a form and it's obviously not necessary for you to repeat it numeorus times in this topic, practically in your every post. It's in variants section now and should to be treated as one. No one who enters this thread will think anymore that Martin Wallace for real put an extra rule on the last page of rulebook so nobody could see it(now that would be the epitome of trolling, eh?), nor anyone will think it's that long awaited official fix (yeah, it obviously looked like one, since Al Jazeera was the source, reportedly). The world is therefore saved, so there's no need to continue this discussion, I suppose.

you get it that I didn't like the OP and you think its unnecessary for me to continue to expound on that. I get it that you and some others are enjoying mocking those of us that weren't amused and I find it unnecessary for the belittling to continue. I guess one could call that an impasse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
I get it that you and some others are enjoying mocking those of us that weren't amused and I find it unnecessary for the belittling to continue.
Wrong. I've added this topic to subscription some time ago hoping that I won't miss any comment on the promising variant and all I'm finding every time someone posts here is how it was a practical joke and how it could mislead poor people. Ok, it was a practical joke and it could mislead poor people.

Now, how about moving on and presenting your thoughts on the variant, for a change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest it is an intriguing rule suggestion. I kind of like it for two reasons:

1. It has the potential to deal with a "dominant" strategy that has been the topic of alot of discussions. (Although I personally feel that the game has not been around long enough to declare any strategy dominant or the game broken!)

2. (And more importantly) I feel it is within the theme of the game. Why would either side call for home support until an attack came? It makes logical sense.....I like the feel it gives the conflict. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solkan1 wrote:
dond80 wrote:
I get it that you and some others are enjoying mocking those of us that weren't amused and I find it unnecessary for the belittling to continue.
Wrong. I've added this topic to subscription some time ago hoping that I won't miss any comment on the promising variant and all I'm finding every time someone posts here is how it was a practical joke and how it could mislead poor people. Ok, it was a practical joke and it could mislead poor people.

Now, how about moving on and presenting your thoughts on the variant, for a change?

Mislead poor people??? Not like low income right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |