Subject: 2 Q's - Galahad & Desolation/Despair rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Williams
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
After having 30 games in, 2 odd questions came up that I don't know how didn't come up before.

First, most knights can play 2 heroic actions on their turn for the cost of a life plus their special ability. Can Galahad also do this? Can he move, play a grail card and play a special white card?

Second, if a desolation is the last black card played at the grail, can a Merlin be used to remove a despair before it? The rules say a Merlin can be used to remove the last standard black card played, there's no indication of what to do if Desolation is played. It's a bit wordy, I can see it meaning last card played period which is Desolation, so you couldn't do it. I can also see it the opposite meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread:

Merlin and Despair/Desolation
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

It has the answer from the designer (No).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Williams
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks, not sure how I missed that (thought I'd read everything here about 15 times).

Any word on the Galahad question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
KenW wrote:
Can Galahad also do this? Can he move, play a grail card and play a special white card?

Yes, of course.
He can't play a Special card with his Action and then another Special card with his power, but as long as he does DIFFERENT actions, it's all fine.
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He can't play a Special card with his Action and then another Special card with his power, but as long as he does DIFFERENT actions, it's all fine.

Why not? The rule about not being able to do the same action twice applies only if the Knight is expending a life point to conduct a second action. As I see it, Galahad's Special Power allows him to play a Special card in addition to his normal Heroic Action, which could be the play of a Special card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kimbo wrote:
Quote:

Why not? The rule about not being able to do the same action twice applies only if the Knight is expending a life point to conduct a second action. As I see it, Galahad's Special Power allows him to play a Special card in addition to his normal Heroic Action, which could be the play of a Special card.

The rule is universal.
And the SPECIFIC example regarding Galahad can be read on page 17 of the Rulebook:

Quote:
The rule forbidding the same Heroic Action from being performed twice during the same turn remains in effect.

If, for instance, as Sir Galahad, you use your Special Power to play a free Special White card, you cannot opt to play a second Special White card as your mandatory Heroic Action during the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Williams
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
The rule is universal.
And the SPECIFIC example regarding Galahad can be read on page 17 of the Rulebook:

Quote:
The rule forbidding the same Heroic Action from being performed twice during the same turn remains in effect.

If, for instance, as Sir Galahad, you use your Special Power to play a free Special White card, you cannot opt to play a second Special White card as your mandatory Heroic Action during the same turn.
[/q]

While I figured the answer would be yes, this part of the rules you quoted in fact does NOT answer my question. Your answer is only in regards to 2 heroic actions. My question was in regards to what is basically 3 heroic actions in one turn. Galahad moves - heroic action #1. He burns a life to play a grail card - heroic action #2. He then uses his special ability to play a special white card - while not heroic action #3 technically, playing a special white card is listed as a heroic action and thus why I wasn't 100% sure he'd be able to play one if he'd already done two other actions.

Other knights it's obvious, as their ability is not a special heroic action (save for Tristan), I just wanted clarification that how we were playing it (allowing 2 heroic actions and a special white card) was correct.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KenW -

Yes, Galahad and Tristan may do the equivalent of 3 Heroic Actions on their turn, as long as: a.) one of them is their special ability, b.) all 3 are different actions and c.) they pay the life point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.