Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife picked up Warhammer 40K at a garage sale because she knows I like games. I know nothing about the game and really have no interest in it. I am wondering the value of this item, if there is any. It looks like the basic game. The box says "In the grim darkness of the near future." The box is full of all sorts of cards (vehicle, psychic power, wargear, mission, etc). There are also a bunch of 5x8 cardboard cards that have vehicle and weapon data on one side and damage tables on the other side. It also came with a big binder full of rule books. No miniatures were in the box, but it's literally full of these cards and some wheels.

Anyone know what this might be worth? I am thinking Ebay but I couldn't find any like items (although lots of other Warhammer stuff, especially miniatures.)

Thanks for your help

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
robot Sounds to me like you've gotten hold of an older edition basic set, minus the accompanying miniatures. From your description sounds like second edition--though it is, IMHO, the BEST edition, it is NOT the edition currently being played by most 40K folks. You might consider tossing it up right here on the BGG Marketplace. A fair value might be somewhere between $20-$30 US, depending upon exactly what components you have in there--I suggest a thorough inventory. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. There are hundreds of cards, but as soon as I get a chance, I will do an inventory and post up the contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert L
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
It sounds like old second edition 40k items because I don't think there are vehicle cards etc. anymore. All of those cards will be useless in 4th edition. If the army books are also from 4th edition (an easy way to check is to see if units have a movement stat listed as M. Should be the first stat) they will also be useless in 4th edition.

I have no idea if people still play 2nd edition and if so how much that sort of stuff is worth. Try going on ebay and searching for 40k second edition items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the idea there are still quite a few people who prefer 2nd edition, so you might have some luck selling it.
You might ask at a dedicated GW forum - Warseer.com seems to be a pretty active site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar box taking up space on my shelves, so I thought I would do a quick search for prices on ebay. Searching for "40k 2nd" turns up this:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
Unfortunately for us, it has no takers at $8.soblue
probably most people who prefer the 2nd edition rules already have a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
If the box has any of the red rapid fire dice (the ones with a lightning bolt on them), make sure you hang onto those. You can use them either as a d3 (with the bolt as a 3), or for Die Macher (with the bolt as a zero), or for the Talisman expansions (with the bolt as a 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess whoever sold it thought the same thing about the dice! Here's what is in my box...

Contents --
No figures
60 Psychic Power cards (4 each of Tzeentch, Tyranid, Squat, Slaanish, Nurgle; 8 each of Inquisition, Adeptus, Librarian, Ork, Eldar)
22 Vehicle cards
66 Wargear cards
25 strategy cards
11 mission cards
37 WARP cards
30 Vehichle data cards (5x8)
18 various wheels
75+ various markers (i.e. slow speed, virus, jam, flamed, etc)
numerous waterslide transfers
some manuals -- Dark Millenium, Codex Imperialis, Wargear, Codex Army Lists, Battle for Armeggedon Scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What you have is definately second edition. You probably won't be able to get much if anything for it. It's one of those things that's cool to own if you already have it but someone usually isn't going to go out of thier way to obtain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
You've also got the whole Dark Millenium expansion in your box too, by the sounds of it.

It's a pretty good game, by the way. If you can dig up some figures (even plastic toy soldiers), give it a try with say 750 points a side before you get rid of it. And just use a d6 / 2 rounded down for those missing dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definetly sounds like you got the "Dark Millenium" set plus some extra stuff. That was an invaluable add on for 2nd edition...the problem is, I'm not sure you've actually got the 2nd edition rules in there!

2nd had a little more detail and was maybe more interesting for small scale combat. 4th edition is faster moving and more designed for larger forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.