Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: Some simple BSW questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... so I've started the process of learning how to use BSW countless times, only to scrap it over and over again.

I'm thinking about starting again, but before I do, I have a couple of questions for the more experienced users:

1) Is the guide close enough to the current version to follow easily? I seem to remember there being some BIG differences last time I tried, but that could just be a problem with my memory.

2) Is it possible to set up games to play with my friends instead of strangers when I want that? Or do I always have to play with strangers? If so, can someone point me to a thread where that's been explained (since I'm sure I'm not the first to ask), as I haven't really found one, and didn't see it while perusing the BSW newbie guide recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
Okay... so I've started the process of learning how to use BSW countless times, only to scrap it over and over again.

I'm thinking about starting again, but before I do, I have a couple of questions for the more experienced users:

1) Is the guide close enough to the current version to follow easily? I seem to remember there being some BIG differences last time I tried, but that could just be a problem with my memory.

2) Is it possible to set up games to play with my friends instead of strangers when I want that? Or do I always have to play with strangers? If so, can someone point me to a thread where that's been explained (since I'm sure I'm not the first to ask), as I haven't really found one, and didn't see it while perusing the BSW newbie guide recently.

Some simple answers:

1) Forget BSW.

2) Try http://en.boardgamearena.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like that site has FAR fewer game options.

However, I will say that it looks a lot more user friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The best way to learn is really to have someone who's been there walk you through it. It's definitely a very hard slog otherwise. Plus, you're more likely to find a positive gaming experience (there's a sizable pool of less than ideal players who play in the "main lobby" compared to other venues).

Geekmail me and I may be able to take you for a quick tour and introduce you to BSW and some of the unofficial gaming ambassadors there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chazar
Germany
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
2) Is it possible to set up games to play with my friends instead of strangers when I want that?
Yes, one can play in private.

Instead of "Initiate Game", which advertises your game, simply click "Enter Room" which brings you to the game room without advertising it.

Your friends should just enter the command "/ghook yourloginname" (replace yourloginname by your BSW-login name), which transports them to the same game instance that you are currently looking at.

Then everybody has to join (enter "/join" or click join in the game tool).

The whole process can be made much more convenient if you know your way around, but don't worry about it now.

For example, once you are in the game room, entering "/option invisible" (or clicking the option in the game tool) hides your game from the manager and makes it clear to expert users that you want to play in private; "/option host" prevents others from starting your game; summoning users instead of having them /ghook you; etc. But don't worry about these possibilities for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chazar wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:
2) Is it possible to set up games to play with my friends instead of strangers when I want that?
Yes, one can play in private.

Instead of "Initiate Game", which advertises your game, simply click "Enter Room" which brings you to the game room without advertising it.

Your friends should just enter the command "/ghook yourloginname" (replace yourloginname by your BSW-login name), which transports them to the same game instance that you are currently looking at.

Then everybody has to join (enter "/join" or click join in the game tool).

The whole process can be made much more convenient if you know your way around, but don't worry about it now.

For example, once you are in the game room, entering "/option invisible" (or clicking the option in the game tool) hides your game from the manager and makes it clear to expert users that you want to play in private; "/option host" prevents others from starting your game; summoning users instead of having them /ghook you; etc. But don't worry about these possibilities for now.

Thank you SO much fro this. Wow... that's really not intuitive. But I'm tech savvy enough that I can work from this easily.

nyriv wrote:
The best way to learn is really to have someone who's been there walk you through it. It's definitely a very hard slog otherwise. Plus, you're more likely to find a positive gaming experience (there's a sizable pool of less than ideal players who play in the "main lobby" compared to other venues).

Geekmail me and I may be able to take you for a quick tour and introduce you to BSW and some of the unofficial gaming ambassadors there.

Even with the above instructions, I'll probably take you up on this. After the holidays I'll shoot you a GeekMail, and we can see if we can work out a time. This is a VERY generous offer. Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest that you go to http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Forum/index.php?topic=62975.0 and read about the English speaking towns that exist in BSW. Contact the mayor of one of them that interests you and ask about playing with them, requirements to join, etc. When I want to play a game with friends I do essentially as noted above, but I always go to my town and start the game in one of my town's rooms. If I mess up there is almost always someone around who speaks my language that can help (I'm a relative noob in a town with lots of level 19s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Webb
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Getting a new BSW prop file downloaded from somewhere is a great GREAT help. And as Bootstrap said finding a city with like minded people to play with also helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, here's where Paula and I get our Prop files.

http://www.emeraldcity41.net/ECInfo/Downloads.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
I'd suggest that you go to http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Forum/index.php?topic=62975.0 and read about the English speaking towns that exist in BSW. Contact the mayor of one of them that interests you and ask about playing with them, requirements to join, etc.
The BSW user interface is poor. The towns interface for people who are not yet part of a town is even worse. Non-existent, perhaps? It's really hard to know whether to join a town with almost no (tangible) information about it. Contacting mayors to ask details seems so primitive.

I'll look through that thread later. Maybe it will help me better understand WTH is going on over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls