Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doom Counters on the Doom track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul clarke
United Kingdom
Unspecified
sheffield
flag msg tools
Do you only put a doom counter on the doom track when a gate appears at a different location, or do you put one on after every draw of the Mythos event.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fahey
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only when a gate is opened at the location as a result of the mythos card. On page 9 items 1,2,3 (on the right) only take place in case C.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Note, too, that doom counters can be placed, due to other effects (e.g. killing a Culist with Yig as the Great Ancient).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) whenever a Gate opens (regardless of Phase)
2) whenever a game effect tells you
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben LeFevre
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While playing the standard Arkham Horror, I feel like I have rarely gotten close to having an ancient one appear. Doom tokens seems to never occur. Hmmph
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this is possible, a gate, and therefore a doom token being placed, happens almost every Mythos phase. The only exception would be where there's a sealed gate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
1) whenever a Gate opens (regardless of Phase)

I know this is a bit late, but given the recent revival of this thread it seems worth pointing out that I don't think this point was correct.

Gates that open due to effects other than the Mythos card do not add a Doom token unless they say to. The rules for the Mythos Phase tell us to add the Doom token, it is not something that happens as part of opening a gate. Also, if you have any of the expansions which include them, gates that open due to Gate Bursts don't add a Doom token.

Edit: Turns out I was wrong. Missed part of the FAQ.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
1) whenever a Gate opens (regardless of Phase)

I know this is a bit late, but given the recent revival of this thread it seems worth pointing out that I don't think this point was correct.

Gates that open due to effects other than the Mythos card do not add a Doom token unless they say to. The rules for the Mythos Phase tell us to add the Doom token, it is not something that happens as part of opening a gate. Also, if you have any of the expansions which include them, gates that open due to Gate Bursts don't add a Doom token.


Base rules, p. 3:

Quote:
Doom tokens are placed on the doom track on the Ancient One sheet as new gates open in Arkham.


Granted that's just in an overview, and the detailed rules don't say much else about it, so look at the FAQ next, p. 3:

Quote:
Q: When a location card says “a gate and a monster appear,” is a doom token added to the doom track?
A: Yes.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whatupyo02 wrote:
While playing the standard Arkham Horror, I feel like I have rarely gotten close to having an ancient one appear. Doom tokens seems to never occur. Hmmph


This doesn't seem right. Are you placing a Doom Token every time a gate opens?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:

... so look at the FAQ next, p. 3:

Quote:
Q: When a location card says “a gate and a monster appear,” is a doom token added to the doom track?
A: Yes.


Thanks for pointing that out. It certainly wasn't clear going from the rules and I missed that part of the FAQ.

Still, at least I was right about the gate bursts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.