Subject: Old board games question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kipp inCanada
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Back in my (much) younger days, I remember having a couple of board games that I thoroughly enjoyed, but for the life of me I can't remember the names of. This would have been in the late 70's, but I can't vouch for when they were actually bought. Here are the descriptions, to the best of my memory:

1. This was a sort of "gold prospectors" game. The board was a molded plastic mountain (3-D) with little trails all over it. The trails had indentations along the way that were spaces for your piece (a marble) to move along. Basically, you rolled a dice and moved your marble. Sometimes you landed at the top of a slide and would actually physically roll down the side of the mountain. There was a desert area (where, if memory serves, you rolled one die rather than two). And at the very end was "Dead Man's Gulch"--three spaces that all fell into a small pit from which there was no return. You could be in the lead, only to lose permanently if you landed on one of those spaces.

2. This was a game of dexterity. It was a series of maze-like obstacles, almost resembling a flea circus. You had a little hand-held air blower (basically, the reverse of those little computer vacuum cleaners). You used that to support a little ping-pong ball in mid-air, and and to maneuver that ball through all the obstacles without touching it with your hand or letting it drop. The only obstacle I remember was a horizontal ladder (like monkey bars) that you had to move the ball through--over one rung, under the next, over, under, and so on.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, welcome to the 'Geek Kipp!

The second game you are describing is Air Trix. I had never heard of it before - how hard was it to accomplish those tasks?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11859

Also, it looks as if there is a newer "version" of this type of game in the Harry Potter universe - Harry Potter's Levitating Challenge Game. Here's a review:

http://www.toymania.com/columns/spotlight/hplevgame.shtml

As far as I can tell it's not on the 'Geek.

As for the first one, I'm not sure. As for the first one, see below.

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Edited to add HP game and point to second post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And . . .

Billionaire

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12820

Wow, this is an old one (1950s) - was it any good?

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is this place great? Or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.