GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: So... options for play money? How about the Electronic Bank from Monopoly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thad Failor
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
I played my first session of PG. I absolutley loved it. In the weeks before I got PG, I started reading the forums. I noticed that there are a lot of poker chip style options to replace the play money...ah Elektros. In our first game, dealing with the money aspect seemed to really slow the game. Has anyone used the Monopoly's electronic bank to handle the money for PG? I am temped to just buy that Monopoly edition for that electronic bank! 15 mill for a power plant sounds a little more realistic... You might even be able to use it for Nuclear Escalation... got change for 10 million?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Use poker chips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with poker chips.

Got an electronic banking monopoly last Christmas from in-laws who knew I liked boardgames and we all played it once together. The electronic banking unit uses fake little "bank cards" which you need to insert before each transaction adding or removing cash (the cards are not magnetic strip, it works on a physical mechanism). Anyways, it is much slower to insert the card, then enter the numbers into the banking unit and it makes everything much slower. Paper money is faster and more convenient than this unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in a tournament with a guy who had card money:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40596/item/931209#item9312...

They were very nice to use. Easier to handle and kept the money better hidden than poker chips or regular money. A bit expensive, make sure to use an ArtsCow discount code to at least get free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Poker Chips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I use poker chips with basically every game that uses paper money. That stuff is the work of the devil.

I ended up getting a really nice 700 chip set off ebay, 14,5 gram "real" chips, that look and feel great, with amounts stickered on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another poker chip user here. Got a box of them dirt cheap at a local car boot. Found some appropriate label files in the PG file section on BGG (THANK YOU!). My wife helped cut out the stickers (A4 sticky sheets, not pre die-cut circles - cheap again ).

The elctronic bank option sounds fun, but as has been mentioned it would slow things down.

Diff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thad Failor
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
[Inserts card]
[MACHINE]: Is 27 Million correct?
[ME]: YES
[MACHINE]: Would you like to donate a buck to _____?
[ME]: NO
[MACHINE]: Would you like cash back?
[ME]: NO
[MACHINE]: INSUFFICENT FUNDS!
[ME]: WHAT!?!?!?
[CLERK]: Lets try the plastic bag trick... That might work!
[Repeat the above process over]

I can see that getting really old really fast... Thanks for the feedback! I'll be looking for some poker chips... I might just pick up Monopoly Electronic Banking anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
LTOThud wrote:
I might just pick up Monopoly Electronic Banking anyway.

Oh, don't even go there!

I am not a Monopoly fan, but I do play it from time to time. My wife asked me to buy her the electronic version a couple years ago. Both her and I hated it! Our 9-year-old son loved it, only because of the machine.

My problem with it is this: You never know how much money you have at any point unless you get the machine in your hands...and it's always in someone else's hands! You'd have to have pencil&paper nearby to keep track of exactly how much you have at any time. It's also really easy to mess up transactions with that machine and, although it's just as easy to fix the mistake, you always wonder if you've REALLY got the right bank balance. Thus, pencil&paper is needed for peace of mind.

Many PG players plan their purchases by setting aside the money for resources so they can figure out how much they have left for building. It works for so many people to see their money in hand that you should really have some sort of fiat for them to see. I have only wrestled with the paper every time I play. It's hard to grab, the paper's too thin, and it's ugly. I've never tried poker chips but I can see how they would work very well - especially if they are printed with the amounts on them. Those cards look cool, too. But I ain't spending that kind of dough on accessories. I'd rather spend it on a new game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dredry Toenail wrote:

My problem with it is this: You never know how much money you have at any point unless you get the machine in your hands...and it's always in someone else's hands! You'd have to have pencil&paper nearby to keep track of exactly how much you have at any time. It's also really easy to mess up transactions with that machine and, although it's just as easy to fix the mistake, you always wonder if you've REALLY got the right bank balance. Thus, pencil&paper is needed for peace of mind.

You could just use the paper money that comes with Power Grid to keeps track of how much money you have when you don't have your hands on the machine. Oh wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
You could just use the paper money that comes with Power Grid to keeps track of how much money you have when you don't have your hands on the machine.

Now that's an excellent idea! First one to playtest this - please report back to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could use the machine to verify how much paper money you have without counting it....oh wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Or you could just keep track of everyone's money in your heads, since all transactions are public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Furness
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, everyone grabs a sheet of paper and a pen and keeps a ledger. Best way to keep score, IMO, since cash fluctuates so frequently. Paper money is crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our kids like the electronic banking unit but it annoys my wife and me. It's a drag to shuffle and stick in cards in the "+" or "-" side depending on type of transaction. Like said you need to have the unit so you can read your balances. Even if everyone had their own unit you'd have to shuffle your card back and forth between the "+" or "-" side depending on type of transaction; granted not a huge issue but a nagging annoyance compared to just buying a calculator for every player.

Poker chips are faster and enjoyable to use, while more durable than paper money, be it Monopoly or Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally with everyone else on the poker chips! I'd much rather play investment games with poker chips than paper money. It's much easier to see how much everyones got with poker chips and it's much easier to verify amounts when paying each other or into or out of a bank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Poker chips are just so much easier. I recently got 2 sets of 200 chips (400) from Argos for £12.99. The ones with the amount lazer printed onto them....a really brilliant set.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9245701/Tra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.