GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: A Revision of Cedric Chin's Bacteria - (Uses own cards) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
[_] BACTERIA Generates Multi-use Cards [_]

Game Setup: Place all 12 Bacteria Cards on this sheet.

You have the power Germination. Whenever you must draw cards from the deck you may use this power to substitute any number of them with Bacteria cards from this sheet. Whenever you must discard a card from your hand, you may instead discard one of your Bacteria cards. This includes substituting the Bacteria card for another type of card that must be discarded such as via Plague or Hate’s power.

Whenever your hand consists of only Bacteria Cards, and it is the beginning or your turn or you are the defensive player, you may show your hand and then discard it and draw 8 new cards as if you had no hand. If another player takes a Bacteria Card from you, he must immediately lose 2 ships of his choice to the Warp and discard the card. Whenever a Bacteria card is discarded, return it to this sheet.

Once able to reproduce quickly, the original Bacteria were destroyed by antibiotics and other immunization agents. Only the hardiest survived by sharing their plasmid genetic material, which is harmful to other aliens. Now proficient in bioengineering, the Bacteria are on their way to conquest over the entire universe.

As Any Player Optional
Start Turn Regroup Destiny Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: If a player takes an Attack Card value 06 or lower from your hand, they must discard the card and lose 2 ships of their choice to the Warp. .
Offense Only Launch

Super: If another player takes a Bacteria Card from you he must now lose 3 ships to the Warp for each one instead of 2, and playing Bacteria cards are as Rifts value 3. When using your power to gain a new hand, add your Bacteria cards to it instead of discarding them.
As Any Player Start Turn - Resolution

EDIT: Bacteria cards would now have the following text written on them:

If you are the Bacteria: treat this card as a Rift value 2 if played from your hand.
If you are not the Bacteria: Discard this card immediately and lose 2 ships of your choice to the Warp.

There are 12 Bacteria Cards.

Yes I know, it combines elements of Fracture/Portal. But this uses the cards, and overall is still good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the difference between wording it as a rift and the way it was before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it was before?

What is "it"?

If you mean "it" is the Bacteria card, I am just clarifying that you can play it exactly as a Rift 2, same timing rules and effects.

If the "it" you are speaking of is Cedric Chin's original Bacteria... well a LOT has changed. You can find the original on the Warp, this revamp gives him a personal deck, more flexibility, and some personal Rifts to play with, which fully fits into his alien's history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
by it I meant the bacteria card.

I was just wondering the rift rewording is a clarification or modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I see.

Well your question is already answered as I guess you can tell, as it was the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even remember writing this one. laugh

Anyway, I'd just use the Rewards deck instead of a Bacteria deck and probably rename it "Reward" or something.

REWARDS

You have the power of benefits. Whenever you draw new cards from the deck, you may draw any number of them from the Rewards deck instead.

Addicted to spending sprees and transferring balances, the Rewards are the consummate consumers of creative credit. Whether their penchant for purchasing will produce more than they have to offer remains to be seen.

Wild: If you must discard your hand, you may draw your new hand from the Rewards deck.

Super: Whenever you draw cards from another player, you may force them to first let you draw from their Reward cards. Any remaining cards are drawn normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I don't even remember writing this one. laugh

Anyway, I'd just use the Rewards deck instead of a Bacteria deck and probably rename it "Reward" or something.

REWARDS

You have the power of benefits. Whenever you draw new cards from the deck, you may draw any number of them from the Rewards deck instead.

Addicted to spending sprees and transferring balances, the Rewards are the consummate consumers of creative credit. Whether their penchant for purchasing will produce more than they have to offer remains to be seen.

Wild: If you must discard your hand, you may draw your new hand from the Rewards deck.

Super: Whenever you draw cards from another player, you may force them to first let you draw from their Reward cards. Any remaining cards are drawn normally.

But then you'd lost the ability to use these cards as Rifts in both the positive and negative sense, and the entire hand-management aspect of the power would also be lost. It completely changes the idea of the power. Definitely not a change I'd make to this.

EDIT: I changed the power to simplify the wording, and to make only ONE "may use" clause, that of gaining Bacteria cards. Also stated the text that would be on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
REWARDS

I like it ... nice and simple. (Not as a rewrite of Bacteria, but just as its own concept.)

Might need a little more oomph, though, since some people don't find the reward deck all that great. Maybe add "and may discard any of the drawn reward cards, replacing them with cards from the cosmic deck". Now you only have to keep the negative attacks if you actually have a use for them.

I love the pithiness, but unfortunately it also needs a Game Setup paragraph saying one of the following:

* use the reward deck if that variant wasn't already in play
* if the reward deck is not in play, draw another alien
* if the reward deck is not in play, put it on your sheet and you use it exclusively

As for theme, here are a couple of brainstorms off the top of my head:

Pleaser - power to Be Rewarded
Finick - power to Be Choosy

I quite like finick (even though it's really a verb), which means "to affect extreme daintiness or refinement". This power is finicky/choosy/particular on two levels: it only shops at the fanciest store, and it rejects the merchandise that is not up to its standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other thoughts, comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.