GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Tim Scott
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first 2nd edition game last night (had a blast) and Cersei Lannister was played in a battle between two players. Lannister won the battle putting his game text into effect ("If you win this combat, you may remove one of the opponent's Order tokens from anywhere on the board."). Lannister canceled an action of of a third player....then the discussion/argument ensued regarding if he had to remove a order of the 'opponent' he was attacking or any of his opponents.

The rules do indicate that the word 'enemy/opponent' is any other player but this seems to have wide implications if this is the reading for every card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme McGee
United Kingdom
Upper Cambourne
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be reaching here but i would say that the position of the apostrophe (before the s) would suggest that you can only remove a token from the opponent you just battled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mcgeeza is correct. The phrasing only allows you to remove an order belonging to the losing player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scott
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgeeza wrote:
I may be reaching here but i would say that the position of the apostrophe (before the s) would suggest that you can only remove a token from the opponent you just battled.

This was my position...(but it was my order being removed)..yes, even brought up the grammar argument regarding apostrophe placement...the only hesitation I had was because the rules say an opponent/enemy is anyone at the table and I thought the clarification in the rules might specifically be trying to clarify these cards...then last night I started flipping through how many cards referred to opponent but even more clearly indicating the player you are attacking.

Last night I gave in because frankly any game that I have to start arguing grammer of a card I'd rather just continue then argue a point to death snore ....still would like to see if anyone supports the other side....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think because it says "the opponent's" and not "an opponent's" it means the opponent you just battled. It doesn't make sense to me that it would be any opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scott
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion came from saying "one of the opponent's" but if the intent take off any order token on the board, there would be more natural ways of saying that (ex. "take any order token"..or "from any opponent".

Thanks for everyone's responses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if there might be different prints, errors or what not, and I haven't received my copy yet, but wording of the card FFG put up here makes it very clear that it applies only to the particular losing opponent: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agot-bg-2nd-ed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.