GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,756 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOONCOOOOOOOOOOS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow, Tim Tebow does it again. He looks like the worst throwing QB in NFL history, the best running QB since Randall Cunningham, and pulls out wins like Johnny "big teeth" Elway.

And we all know the Raiders will find a way to choke, so if Denver can just keep it going for a few more weeks, they might end up being the worst division winner in history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it wasn't pretty. but a win is a win. I expected them to do much better against the SD Chokers Chargers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I give Tebow credit for being very good near the ends of games. But the real heroes in Denver's surprising turnaround have been the defense and the offensive line (and McGahee ain't chopped liver either). If Tebow was playing better during the first three quarters of games, maybe these miracle finishes wouldn't be necessary (and they wouldn't have to rely on missed field goals by the opposition). I'm not criticizing Tebow, I just want credit to go to the most deserving parties. The last time I checked, football was a team game and this practice of judging quarterbacks solely on wins and losses is annoying and very misinformed.

But personal crankyness aside, congratulations to the Broncos. They're one of the more remarkable stories of this football season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to read the title of this thread as "BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slowcorner wrote:
I prefer to read the title of this thread as "BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!"

Questionable Content kicks ass and Pint Size is a freak. You should totally follow Pint Size on Twitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
My Chargers didn't put the game away when they had their chances. A problem that's been plaguing them all season long. 2 missed field goals gave Denver the opportunity to win, but that's the quality of kicker you're stuck with when your starter blows out his knee on the opening kickoff of the season.

I'm trying to take a positive spin on things...the head coach that replaces Norv Turner (thank the heavens!) will have a 4th place schedule to work with next year. A schedule with Indy, Miami, and AFC North and the NFC East will keep are recent rivalries intact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
At that time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer, and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
The longer these improbable victories keep happening, the harder it will be for management to get rid of Tebow. And then the Broncos will be stuck with him and waste who knows how many years futilely waiting for him to stop sucking.

If they had just stuck with Orton, they'd be in the running for Andrew Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
If they had just stuck with Orton, they'd be in the running for Andrew Luck.

Not as long as Indy aggressively pursues its perfect season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Denver had no chance of getting Luck. With Von Miller and Dumerville playing this well, the defence would have been good for at least 2 or 3 more wins. Indy's going to get him for sure. Besides, there can only be one great Stanford QB in Broncos lore.

It's pretty hard to deny that all he does is win. Still early days though. Let's see what happens when he's staring down a must-win game to make the playoffs.

And for the love of god, please don't let the Raiders win the division. On the other hand, it would be great to see grown men in silver face paint and Mad Max gear crying when they get blown out of the playoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
This sure is one wacky NFL season.

I was pissed when Denver beat the Jets last week, but I think the Denver D is coming on. Those guys are stout. Tebow may not be Rodgers, but if you hold the other team to 13 points, even Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, what did ya'll expect from a Gator Quarterback?

'Recent' Gator Quarterbacks that have made it into the NFL:
Shane Matthews (made it for 12 years, but why?)
Eric Kresser (does anyone ever remember his 3 years?)
Rex Grossman (Isn't he just as inconsistent?)
Kerwin Bell (and to think they let him back into the NFL for a second try)
Chris Leak (quick jump to the CFL)
Danny Wuerffel (he lasted 6 years?)
Jesse Palmer (Did he actually get play?)
Doug Johnson (do we even remember him as a Gator?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the Scooby Doo ending and for Tebow to rip off his mask where it's revealed that it was Old Man Jim Brown actually being him the whole time. Jenkies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Rex Grossman (Isn't he just as inconsistent?)

Completely disagree. Grossman is incredibly consistent--you can count on him for a minimum of 2 interceptions every game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
SI's Peter King: "The recipe for the Broncos winning five of six is not Tebow, Tebow and more Tebow. It's defense and the running game keeping things close. It's Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil rushing the passer and keeping him uncomfortable, and a reborn Willis McGahee (4.8 yards per carry at age 31) pounding defenses with the changeup ability of Tebow thrown in. And Eric Decker making circus catches. That about covers it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
SI's Peter King: "The recipe for the Broncos winning five of six is not Tebow, Tebow and more Tebow. It's defense and the running game keeping things close. It's Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil rushing the passer and keeping him uncomfortable, and a reborn Willis McGahee (4.8 yards per carry at age 31) pounding defenses with the changeup ability of Tebow thrown in. And Eric Decker making circus catches. That about covers it."

Von Miller and Elvis have been phenomenal. Von Miller is starting to look like pre-cocaine Lawrence Taylor. McGahee, while he has been great, has Tebow to thank for the huge holes to run through. The other team is almost forced to commit at least one guy to shadow Tebow, and that usually means one less linebacker for the running backs to dodge.

But yes, Decker has looked great. That's what happens when you pick up Easy Ed McCaffrey's old number (if I'm not mistaken).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

This is just another example of someone hating on Tebow, while everything he says is true, he and many others completely ignore other facts like in the 5 wins by the broncos while Tebow started, he has a total of 0 turnovers.

Being a lifelong Packer fan, I as much as anyone, can appreciate the importance of QB who does NOT turn the ball over.

It is an absolutely huge factor of importance for a football team, especially if said QB does not have the same physical blessings of arm strength improvisation as he who should not be named.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think he has 1 interception, but that's still phenomenal for basically a rookie QB after 6 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
Actually, I think he has 1 interception, but that's still phenomenal for basically a rookie QB after 6 games.

Your right, but I was actually talking about his 5 wins, which he has had 0 turnovers, the one loss against the lions is where he threw a pick and lost a fumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
But he seldom throws the ball! In that one game wasn't he like 2 of 7? I guess the opposition defences are just not expecting pass too often. Again, it's not pretty to watch, but the Broncos are on the march in that division.

Notice I said Broncos and not Tebow, listening to the media lately does make it sound like a one man team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tebow the kid is a great guy. I also think Tebow the QB will never be better than average. That said, the kid keeps winning - and that's all that matters.

I have absolutely hated the Broncos since Elway directed the NFL as to where he would play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great D, a strong running games, and a QB who doesn't turn the ball over is a pretty effective combination. My Steelers have used this formula years (not this year perhaps) to great success.

Watching the Spread Option in the NFL is pretty cool. A college offense working at this level is proof that some ideas just work. Spread everyone out, Isolate a d lineman, require him to choose to commit to either the QB or rb and then pull or give based on his choice. Stopping it requires a lot of assignment discipline.

I think the idea of making a team prepare for something outside the norm has a lot of merit. The other team can rarely run it as well in practice simulation so it often is a great way to waste their time. Look at the success of Navy football. They have made a living off this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.