GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Hemloch» Forums » General

Subject: Most common End-game condition: Potions/trinkets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are other game owners having the Potions/Trinkets end-game condition being the most frequent?

In the 5 games I've played so far it has happened 5 times. Only one day card goes into the Week before the game is over. There are barely any markers on the Districts (2 or 3) and only about 2 to 3 Influence checks are performed per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only had potion/trinket endgame twice out of 16 games. All other endgames have happened with either two locations full or one player's deck emptied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Different play styles are going to yield different results of course, but here are my results after dozens of games:

Two full locations: Very Common
Potions/Trinkets depleted: Common
Minion deck depleted: Uncommon
Influence cubes depleted: Very Uncommon
Week deck full of Day cards: Practically impossible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So follow up questions:
1//. What are the two districts that get filled the quickest?

2//. Do you play the Gravedigger and Old Crone (forgot the actual name) in their respective Home Districts a lot? The result on each will give you a Trinket and Potion or Potion and Trinket at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played the game a cuple of times, but the two districts that will fill up the fastest are probably the ones with the least spaces (Boneyard and Spires).
Also, you won't get the bonus abillity of the location by playing a Crone Elder at the Spires or a Gravedigger at the Boneyard, only extra influence. To get these abillities you would have to play a Darkened minion on the Boneyard or Courtesan minion on the Spires.
I hope this was helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so this might be my problem with the whole game. I was confused on who activates the Districts' special abilities and who considers a district Home. No wonder my games keep running short.

I guess I also kept subconsciously thinking that if District is a "home" the minion whose home it is should also trigger the special ability.

Man I feel stupid. Thanks for the heads up! Makes all the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kristopovich
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
Wait, so this might be my problem with the whole game. I was confused on who activates the Districts' special abilities and who considers a district Home. No wonder my games keep running short.

I guess I also kept subconsciously thinking that if District is a "home" the minion whose home it is should also trigger the special ability.

Man I feel stupid. Thanks for the heads up! Makes all the difference.

I just played the game for the first time yesterday and started doing the same thing. We played through the first night like that before realizing the true way to play. But still, after just 1 night card was added, we had already used up all the potions and trinkets.
So I'm curious to see if they just depleted because we cared about getting them more than winning over the locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Vandling
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"He's no good to me dead."
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Different play styles are going to yield different results of course, but here are my results after dozens of games:

Two full locations: Very Common
Potions/Trinkets depleted: Common
Minion deck depleted: Uncommon
Influence cubes depleted: Very Uncommon
Week deck full of Day cards: Practically impossible

My wife and I just started playing this game and it is great. We agree that the most common game ending condition is two or more full locations. We decided to mitigate that by making a house rule that when the influence is tied for a location during an influence check, instead of us both putting a marker on the location, neither of us does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out of 4 games, all of ours have ended with potions/trinkets being depleted, but I'm a big fan of trinket/potion strategy so I find myself forcing that I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have only played twice so far (can't get my usual wargamer buds to give this a chance and my wife, who really likes it, is working too much right now soblue

However, in the the two games thus far:

one end via Trinkets/Potions and one end via locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.