1 Posts

Food Fight» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game of Food Fight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau No last name
United States
flag msg tools

Got my wife to play one game of Food Fight tonight. She's not a gamer, but she thought this looked like an interesting game. The theme is really what drew her in. It was one of the games I picked up from a 1/2 off sale on Friday. I tried reading up and getting the rules down as best I could so we could play relatively smoothly. I convinced her to play a game because I'd like to play with the boys(2 - 9 year olds and told her we should test it out....)

I enjoyed it. We played the "boot camp" version in which you do not draft your cards you are just dealt 9. Personally I kind of like the boot camp because it will make the game go by much, much quicker. Trying to play a 4 player game and having to draft 9 cards every single 'day' will take forever when playing with kids.

The game:

I set the game up and dealt us each 9 cards. Being a 2 player game we only put down 2 battlefields. Unfortunately we both picked a different meal to go after which meant for the very first turn of the game we were left facing not each other but the dog. The dog absolutely crushed my food troops. My wife on the other hand was apparently feeding the dog under the table because she won 3 battles in a row from it and took the victory points(2).

The next round she dealt the cards and pulled the battlefields. This time they came up 2 dinners. Unfortunately in my hand I only had 1 dinner card, but I did have a chicken and a waffle card in my hand which was able to play in the correct order to gain some bonus 'yumminess'. I won the dinners, which brought me to a total of 6 victory points.

Round 3 looked pretty good for me I thought. Battlefields were both breakfast and I had 4 breakfast troops on my hand. Too bad they came up on the wrong order when drawn. She on the other hand had a couple of pancakes and a donut, all of which came out in the needed order and she just clobbered me. The score was now 6-5 with me leading.

Round 4 and the battlefields were both dinner. There were enough victory points on the battlefield for one of us to win the game. She had a bad draw because she ended up with only 4 troops in her hand and 5 instants. Fortunately for me I was able to place a full complement of 5 troops into my army. However, her instants were almost the death of me. She dropped a great card which forced me to discard the next troop I played, thus giving her an auto win for that serving. It was a good way for her to try to pull 3 wins with only 4 troops. She then won the next one putting her up 2 serving wins to my 1. On the next serving though I was able to create a Fish Stick Taco and she was unable to match my culinary skills. That tied us up at 2-2. Unfortunately for her she was out of cards and thus I captured the last dinner mint uncontested. This gave me the 6 vp's and a total of 12vps to win the game.

This was our first time and I found the game to pretty enjoyable. I love the theme. They did an excellent job with it. Cards are clever with text and graphics. It was nice to be able to pull of a couple of good combos, but at the same time once we have a few more play throughs under our belt I think we'll try the drafting mechanics, even though it will likely significantly make the game go longer.

- Raider30
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.