GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,283 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I would like to propose an addendum to the Creuss racial ability that prevents other races from using the wormholes they control:
"Mallice does not count as a wormhole for this racial ability."
What do you think? Especially when playing with Artifacts it makes up for a serious problem with the vanilla rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurens Verrelst
Belgium
Lier
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mb
Hi there Stefan,

Why would you want to do that? If it's only because of the Artifacts, just don't place an artifact on Mallice when playing with the Ghosts. Or just don't use artifacts at all. Besides, Mallice isn't thát great a planet in terms of production, so if the Ghosts want to stick with that planet, that's fine by me.

Overall, the cool thing about the Ghosts are their Wormhole manipulation abilities, making a very dynamic game while the Ghosts are around. So if you want to keep a wormhole open, you'll just have to fight for it, increasing player interaction and making for some really nice feuds along the way.

Only disadvantage with the Ghosts: the player has the Master of The Gates Secret Objective (is it a SO?). This can get the Ghosts in first position early on and it's hard to prevent them from scoring more points because of their mobility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not found their power too strong. Sure if you have a VP out on the nexus it is theirs, but I find them slow and any competent player could beat them there.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never agree to play with this rule. There are still ways the Creuss could be removed from Mallice, notably "Cultural Crisis" to remove the ability, and "Local Unrest" to remove the planet. (In the latter case, sure, the Creuss could put multiple GFs there, but at some point putting too many GF there just to protect against those cards becomes a bit wasteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I've always considered the Ghosts to be weak and somewhat lame. I've therefore always consider Malice to be a consolation prize for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm convinced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
There will never be a real space quest again...
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Change
"Other players may not use “A” or “B” wormholes to travel into a system you control."
to
"Other players may not use wormholes to travel into a system you control, except for systems containing a delta wormhole."

Then, add a delta wormhole to the Mallice system. This changes the ghosts somewhat (impact depending very much on the map) but it's thematically very fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulli wrote:
Change
"Other players may not use “A” or “B” wormholes to travel into a system you control."
to
"Other players may not use wormholes to travel into a system you control, except for systems containing a delta wormhole."

Then, add a delta wormhole to the Mallice system. This changes the ghosts somewhat (impact depending very much on the map) but it's thematically very fitting.

And this introduces the same issue I have with my above comment. I don't think the Ghosts need to be weakened in any way. I don't think they are a bottom-tier race, but they are certainly not one of the strongest, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone else - whilst Ghosts are not the worst race, they are a middling to mediocre race, albeit fun to play. They need all the help they can get, and certainly don't need weakening.

They are just fine as is - I'd be looking to buff them if anything, not weaken them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much about weakening them but about not wanting Mallice like areas to be completely inaccessible (some custom games sport even larger isolated bubbles), barring some very unlikely circumstances. For Mallice that's a matter of taste but for an off area consisting of more than one planet this might not be a good idea. Separated areas are frequently used even in games being completely canon (rulewise) in every other aspect.

Also, why don't they start out with the gravity drive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulli wrote:
It's not so much about weakening them but about not wanting Mallice like areas to be completely inaccessible (some custom games sport even larger isolated bubbles), barring some very unlikely circumstances. For Mallice that's a matter of taste but for an off area consisting of more than one planet this might not be a good idea. Separated areas are frequently used even in games being completely canon (rulewise) in every other aspect.

I'm not a big fan of changing rules to accommodate custom maps; I'd prefer to change the custom map. To me, having something like this cause a problem with the map is an indication of a less-than-well-designed map. (I don't like the idea of "bubbles" in this game at all, it segregates the players even more than the standard version.

Quote:
Also, why don't they start out with the gravity drive?

So they have to get it if they want to use it? The same reason the Hacan don't start with Micro Technology, I'd guess

(BTW, I like your avatar. Poor Roger Wilco!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have started to play wrap around (every hex is connected to its diametrically opposing hex) when doing 4 circle maps with hws on 3rd. Having many neighbours creates super analysis paralysis endgame situations. At the time it becomes obvious somebody can make a grab for the win almost everybody in the game is more or less poised to strike his hw. This situation is bound to occur anyway but with more neighbours it gets considerably worse.

I like rules that enhance the theme without adding fiddly stuff. A 3 blue tech setup would fit the Creuss. Could be combined with the Creuss gate being a gravity rift. And gravity rifts connecting gravity rifts in wormhole fashion. (etcpp)

edit: reading your post, i wish i could have had a change of nick ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.