GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,895 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Highlander variant for Dominion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jussi Tuhkanen
Finland
HELSINKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As there are over 150 different cards for the game I started to playtest a new variant. If someone has had the idea before me then sorry. I do not try to steal your idea...

1. make 10 piles of actioncards with 10 DIFFERENT cards in each pile.
2. make only the topmost card visble.
3. its easiest to use the randomizeer cards with colorsleeves so you cant identify them from points and money

We are at the moment tweaking the number of piles and number of cards in each pile as this variant seems to make a bit longer games. I only recommend this variant to players who know their cards pretty well. Othervise the time to read them all is too much. It has been a fun variant so far but extra input is appreciated...

This variant is a bit more random but it makes fun situations when u must buy a low costing card with lots of money because you want it in your deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
So how is this related to Highlander?
Is it: "There can be only one... of each kingdom card"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting... basically turns every game into a Black Market game.. but then why not just have the Black Market in every game..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi Tuhkanen
Finland
HELSINKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
So how is this related to Highlander?
Is it: "There can be only one... of each kingdom card"?

It comes from "there can be only one" highlander format for Mtg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi Tuhkanen
Finland
HELSINKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:
Sounds interesting... basically turns every game into a Black Market game.. but then why not just have the Black Market in every game..?

Because we wanted to get rid of the basic idea that there will be 2-5 cardstacks that everybody wants. You have to redesign your deck and strategy every time because there is just 1 card available for each actioncard. And as you dont see wich cards are in the game beforehand it makes it quite challengin. As someone buys a card another will be revealed but at most ten cards are visible. If a bad card wich no one wants turns up one pile is blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be pretty chaotic and silly.

Better, however, might be:

Select your ten kingdom cards and shuffle all 100 cards together. Deal out random piles of 10. Or, alternatively, you could have pseudo-random piles of 10 where each one contains one of each kingdom card but randomly ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The problem with every single one of these "Let's make Black Market how every turn works" variants is that Big Money plus a couple decent terminals is pretty much always the best strategy, since the other cards are available in too few copies and too inconsistently for relying on them to do anything more complicated than that to be viable.

Also, the big draw of Dominion is that each set of 10 Kingdom Cards gives each play a unique flavor, which gives Dominion so much replay value - but when every game consists of all the cards mixed together randomly, all the games feel like the same random mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think at this point, you play Ascension instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I did post this idea on somebody's variant thread, maybe a year or so ago. I did this for the first time after the release for Seaside. Of course back then the Kingdom piles could only be seven to eight cards (only 78 Kingdom cards at the time). It was an amusing variant good for two to three plays. Did it again shortly after Prosperity's release. We used the placeholders, but didn't bother with colored sleeves.

Yes, you definitely want to do this only with another well experienced player; too much opportunity for AP otherwise.

And yeah, a deck based mostly around the basic treasures will probably do fine in this variant, but the cards can easily come in such way as to make a decent action chain for card draw.

It was fun enough that I might do it again someday. Maybe after the last expansion in 2012 comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.