GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,612 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: The Sea of Blood» Forums » Rules

Subject: Even more SoB rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fredrik Svensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
We're playing our first SoB campain and have run into some questions.

1. The island map, are all the trees that are on the map Trees (block LoS and have Shadowcloak)? And are all the green Scrub?

2. Monster spawn rules for the island map? I gess it's ok to spawn in a tree and the same turn move out and backstab a hero? If there is not many trees, is there a maximum distance that the heroes can see? (Is is possible to spawn eg. 10 squares away even in open terrain)

3. The number of Healing posions an Alchemist can sell per game week is stated on the city. We seem to need ~5 times more since we're getting slaughtered in the dungons. Are we playing the heroes wrong or do others have the same issue?

4. Traps in the island. In a dungon I guess it's reasonable it may fall down a rubble in my head, but on the island level? May there be pits in the water? Makes no sense but can't find anythin about it in the rules.

5. Have seen this question around here before but can't find it anymore. How much should the OL read? E.g. Cerridor Sea; should the heroes know that they get an CT if they release the monster or should it be a guess the first time if it's right to release or kill it?

Thankfull for help!

Btw. after our first dungon our OL had 35 tokens. Sure we fed him some but we didnät play that bad and we didn't encounter impossible levels. Is this normal? We feel that the heroes are waaay behind.

/Fredrik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes and Yes

2. Yes, you can spawn in a tree, but the tree does not block LOS to its own square, just the squares behind it (so make sure the heroes cannot see the tree square). No max distance on LOS (sometimes spawning on the island map can be tricky).

3. Probably yes, however the dungeons in SoB are for the most part trickier/harder than the RtL dungeons, so it will require better playing to survive with the same tactics. Also, don't forget to flee if it's too rough.

4. No restrictions on traps. Falling boulders can be thematically justified as being thrown by giants from a neighboring island, or dropped from a passing dragon, etc. Pits in the water are sandbogs (in shallow) or whirlpools in deeper.

5. On the normal maps, read it all. The Rumors and Avatar maps though are played like the normal game (i.e. read as necessary).

Btw, you should *never* give the OL 35 threat in a dungeon. If it's getting that high, for god's sake FLEE!

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Svensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zilfalon Keratol
Germany
Eching
flag msg tools
badge
youtube.com/zilfalon twitch.tv/zilfalon
mbmbmbmbmb
Spawning on an Island?
Traps on an Island?!?

Page 16, SoB Rulebook:
"In fact, the Overlord deck is not used during
outdoor encounters, even when lieutenants are encountered"

Am I mixing "Encounter" and "Island"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilfalon wrote:
Spawning on an Island?
Traps on an Island?!?

Page 16, SoB Rulebook:
"In fact, the Overlord deck is not used during
outdoor encounters, even when lieutenants are encountered"

Am I mixing "Encounter" and "Island"?

Yes. The Island isn't used during an Encounter, rather the other side of the map is (the open ocean). The Island is used during the first dungeon level of a given location. In that case, it's treated like any other dungeon level, the OL gets cards, he can spawn play traps, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.