GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: If Newt is the frontunner... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why are the Dem's targeting Mitt?
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/11/former_gov_t...

I have to wonder if the strategy is to further knock down the only real threat to Obama. If they can help one of the GOP kooks get nominated, or further fracture the base in the event Mitt get's through, then Obama will have an easier time getting back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
The media can only run the "We All Know Mitt Is Still The Real Frontrunner," stories so many times before people stop buying their newspapers. So it helps to gin up some fun stories like, "Newt Gingrich Has A Snowball's Chance In Hell Of Getting Elected, No Really!!!"

Although I did read a nice article about Gary Johnson possibly appealing to the Libertarian Party for their nomination. I wonder what Dr. Paul thinks about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newt isn't the frontrunner -- he's just leading in some polls. The smart money has been on Mitt for quite a while; only Perry ever got ahead of Mitt on Intrade and then only until he opened his mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know the US is a wild and crazy place but how on earth does Newt attract Tea Party support? Surely he's the epitome of the establishment politician.

Personally, Huntsmen is the only one that doesn't make me want to punch the TV set after a few minutes of them talking. And he has as much chance of winning as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Kay, Men in Black
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
I know the US is a wild and crazy place but how on earth does Newt attract Tea Party support? Surely he's the epitome of the establishment politician.

Personally, Huntsmen is the only one that doesn't make me want to punch the TV set after a few minutes of them talking. And he has as much chance of winning as I do.

Newt DID shut down government for a period of time. I'm sure in the eyes of some tea partiers, thats not necessarily a bad thing. At least thats my guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rest must be pond scum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Newt was the original Tea Partier, driving out old liberal Republicans, casting the Democrats as evil communists in a morality play, and calling for the drastic reduction of government social programs. Gingrich, more than anyone one man, built the GOP of today. Reagan may have made conservatism popular, but his big-tent affable style has been lacking since he exited. When Republicans see Reagan, they see who they want to be. When they see Gingrich, they see who they really are.

At any rate, I think Gingrich's chances are better than people think. He is a canny and experienced fighter who knows how to push the right conservative buttons since he helped program the system. I'm not saying he'll win, but he will not be steamrolled.

For a great article on him, check this out: http://motherjones.com/politics/1984/11/newt-gingrich-shinin...

I love the part where they describe the House of Representatives as "normally a bastion of civility." Gingrich, more than anyone else, helped to end those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Herman Cain's much more attractive mistresses start to surface, he'll be the frontrunner again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Green
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have to wonder if the strategy is to further knock down the only real threat to Obama. If they can help one of the GOP kooks get nominated, or further fracture the base in the event Mitt get's through, then Obama will have an easier time getting back in.

I think that you have it here. Romney is the most realistic electoral threat to Obama since he wouldn't alienate huge pools of voters automatically and could even be competitive in Michigan, where his father was a popular governor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Green
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When Republicans see Reagan, they see who they want to be. When they see Gingrich, they see who they really are.

laugh

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.