GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,565 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Elizabethan or Spanish Armada Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I've been reading "To Rule the Waves" by Arthur Herman and am enjoying it. I have finished the section on Hawkins, Drake, and the Spanish Armada. It seems to be a very interesting period of global tension with Spain overextended and England trying to balance boldness with prudence. I think it would make a great wargame. It seems to me that two kinds of games could come out of this period of history. One is an operations level game of commanding the English privateers vs the Spanish fleet in a game of cat and mouse to capture and control the wealth of the New World. The second type of game is hemisphere level or global as Spain tries to hold its empire together while the other nations wrestle for control. I tried to look around here on BGG, but I did not find anything that seems to cover the late 1500s. Can anyone point me towards such a game? Or am I wrong and the late 1500's are not fertile ground for a game?

As a kind of aside, it seems that a tactical level naval wargame during this time period would be dull as ship's guns were of low quantity and quality as well as tactics were very simple then. My pessimism about a tactical level game extends to simulating the Spanish Armada itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Virgin Queen

Looks interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Armada and (of course)
Europa Universalis contains scenarios covering
the global war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Pete. I will definitely keep my eye on that game. It seems to be just what I was thinking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Check out the Spanish Fury line of games from Perfect Captain:

Spanish Fury!
Spanish Fury: Voyage!
Spanish Fury, Sail!
Spanish Fury, Campaign!
Spanish Fury, Battle! or Pistolado!
Spanish Fury, Siege!
Spanish Fury, Actions!
Spanish Fury, Duel!

Some excellent ideas there, the gents at Perfect Captain make good stuff.
Their War of the Roses games are quite good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horatio252 wrote:
It seems to me that two kinds of games could come out of this period of history. One is an operations level game of commanding the English privateers vs the Spanish fleet in a game of cat and mouse to capture and control the wealth of the New World. The second type of game is hemisphere level or global as Spain tries to hold its empire together while the other nations wrestle for control. I tried to look around here on BGG, but I did not find anything that seems to cover the late 1500s. Can anyone point me towards such a game?

I believe both of your suggested types are covered somewhat by Conquistador which runs from 1495 to 1600.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I could imagine a treatment of the Great Armada à la 1805: Sea of Glory.
Would be really nice to have such game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the aforementioned Armada by SPI.

Alea published a game - tactical - called, I think, Grand Armada.

More recently is the S&T: When Lions Sailed. This covers a later period (pre Napoleanic) and is global in scale. This and Armada are probably what you are looking for.

Tiller & Whipstaff is a miniatures game that covers the Anglo-Dutch War.

My opinion is that the market is saturated with naval games on the Napoleonic period, little has really been done with periods prior to that. I think a well done tactical game of the Armada period would be fun as would a good treatment of the 1600's to early 1700's (plus IMO the ships were really better looking than 19th century ships). Granted during the Armada time frame naval gunnery was in its infancy but it could still be fun and educational. After all, S&T just did a "naval" battle from the Hundred Years War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Problem is, as the OP noted, tactical Armada period battles(alone)
were pretty much blowouts. The English had all the cards in the
big engagements, even if the Spaniards had numbers. A campaign
which mixed the type of situation in SPI's Armada with a tactical
detail game could be interesting (though actually trying to invade
England even in that game is rough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once read at Consimworld - you'll have to trust me on this, because I am not going to search through the glory of 1996 website design for it - that GMT was going to release an expansion for War Galley which covered the battle of Lepanto. It wouldn't be much of a stretch, really. Cannons would be destructive, obviously, but wouldn't change the basic way the game is any more than the normal special rules.

Vae Victus also did something on the French Wars of Religion/Civil War, which was in the same period. I would like it if Musket and Pike did a whole game focusing on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.