Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently read Fawkes' excellent review of Mexica and I was wondering if all are in agreement that it essentially is ONLY a 4 player game. The rules say 2-4. I am not one to pick a fight or argue with Fawkes (come to think of it, I am not one to pick a fight with anyone), but I was just wondering if others were generally in agreement.

Reason: I was trying to see if this would play well with two, y'know, just me and my lovely wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User 1
msg tools
Jason -

I've played Mexica a number of times with four players and quite liked it. Having played Tikal with two, which I like a lot, I decided to give Mexica a try with two, against my lovely girlfriend. We quit after just a few turns in - I felt it just didn't work very well. A bit of a dissapointment. I guess we'll stick to Tikal.

Rick Thornquist
Editor, GameWire
http://www.gamefest.com/news

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife and I enjoyed it well enough with the 2 player variant described in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have only EVER played Mexica with two, just because it's never hit the table when we've had more than two people to play with. I think it works ok with two, though I'm sure it's even better with more.

With only two players, the game tends to be pretty predictable... although you'll occasionally overlook something major (like a critical canal move or a blocked bridge) and your opponent will pull in some big points, and the potential for these sorts of moves are where the tension originates.

One nice thing about playing with just two is that the games are typically VERY CLOSE... you have to really count pennies just to win by a narrow margin. The major con is that there isn't a whole lot of interaction for the first 1/2 of the game. This changes and it becomes cutthroat as the board begins to fill up, however.

There are certainly better two player games out there to spend your money on, but I wouldn't discount this one entirely, especially if you think you'll occasionally be able to play it with 3-4. It's a good game, and it tends to go for fairly cheap on ebay (compared to Java and Tikal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think it played very well with two. Predictable, not much interaction, just sort of blah.

In contrast, I think Tikal, Java, and Torres all play very well with two players. I would suggest getting one of these instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played with 2 players and it was an enjoyable experience. It's definitly better with 4 people (I can't speak for 3, though), but still quite fun with 2. I wouldn't discount it too easily.

I also have noticed that the game tends to be a lot closer with 2 player, which adds an extra bit of tension that we thought kept things interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have enjoyed 2 player Mexica...a bunch.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I am interested in Mexica with two is that it sounds like it would be a good game...period...and it looks like it has nice components.

Thanks for the inputs.

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Mexica with two but I can see two problems, one easily fixable, one not so much so.

The first problem is the scoring system: it pays out to first through third place which means that rather than having tense fights over points with someone getting shut out in a given district there will probably be a lot of singleton buildings placed. Yes, this will certainly tighten up scoring but the game seems like it will suffer interest for it because there is very little incentive to spend a lot of resources to take first place when second is available so inexpensively.

My suggestion: only score for first place in a 2 player game.

The second issue is harder though: the board is just too friggin' big. With fewer temples being placed to take up space, the city will look rather sparse by comparison, and this will probably affect game play.

My suggestion: Restrict the board? It seems the only solution, but I don't know where to restrict it, or by how much.

Overall, I can see why people would want to play Mexica with two, but I personally would not want to do so. Of the 4 main action point games the only two I would be willing to play with only two are Torres and Tikal, both of which offer up scoring systems which work better with that many players at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my experience of playing 2 player Mexica with my wife four times, I wouldn't say 2nd place scoring is a problem, since 2nd place is half the points of first place. This creates plenty of incentive to control the various capullis.

The size of the board? There are 15 capulli tiles regardless of players, and both halves of the game play out at a brisk pace, at least in our experience. If anything, using the whole board with only 2 players only means there is more fun to go around...very little down time when you're only waiting on one person to use their six action points.

We tried the 2 player variant where neutral buildings are placed at the beginning of the game that effect scoring. We agreed that this variant only creates obstacles that detract from game play.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.